Forums > Kitesurfing General

8 or 12m kite for first kite in around adelaide

Created by baronrollz > 9 months ago, 13 May 2012
baronrollz
WA, 1 posts
13 May 2012 4:19PM
Thumbs Up

Been in the country 14 months now and missing kiting.Thing is i can only afford one kite at present.Just wanted to rack some adelaide kiters brains on which kite to buy first? Not sure what the winds are like for winter and coming spring.Does anyone have any ideas on which would be best? Cheers rich

TKC1
SA, 52 posts
13 May 2012 9:08PM
Thumbs Up

Hey mate, try posting in the SA section of the forum, you might get more responses on there from locals..

On a side note, heading into winter now - pretty much the only wind we'll get in Adelaide are storm fronts.. On an average el nino summer then sea-breezes will head up to around 15-20kn most afternoons.. But I've only been kiting in Adelaide for the last 18 months or so and I know there are other much more experienced Adelaidians that can give you better advice.

I'm 70kg and I tend to swap between my 10m and 12m - I have only once or twice ever needed something smaller than my 10m (like when strong squalls come through in winter)..

Jess

Transition_Surf
SA, 286 posts
13 May 2012 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

Tough question to answer.....

In the winter we would normally get anything from 15 knots to 40 knots plus!!! It depends on how picky you feel like being....

A lot of the Adelaide crew have a few kites, 12m - 9m - 7m which covers all year kiting.

If you are stuck for gear due to price I have a 7m and 9m for sale. PM me for details.

Thanks

Martyn

Plummet
4862 posts
14 May 2012 6:47AM
Thumbs Up

though i am not even in the same country.... if i was to limit myself to 1 kite it would be my 10m c4. its does 16-30 knots. I've weathered 35 knots gusts with it.

ps i'm 82 pies.

Stormboy
SA, 86 posts
14 May 2012 8:33AM
Thumbs Up

with the fantastic kites we now have id pick a 9-10 as a single kite quiver for Adel. Having said that having a smaller kite as well, 6-7 is even more fun :)

im only 70 pies :)

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"8 or 12m kite for first kite in around adelaide" started by baronrollz