Forums > Kitesurfing Foiling

Moses 590 vs F-One mirage 800

Created by hotballs > 9 months ago, 27 Aug 2022
hotballs
VIC, 114 posts
27 Aug 2022 3:18PM
Thumbs Up

Hello wealth of knowledge,
I have had a Spotz Tuna foil and board for ages. Cannot for the life of me tack or jibe the thing! I am 197 tall and 95 kgs.
I am looking at the moses stuff second hand and have an opportunity to get M101 with 590 or M106 with W645,, or, F One Mirage800.
I have not been able to try any of the gear. I am after something that will have a decent turn of speed but be a lot more stable in turns than the ol' Spotz. Can anyone provide guidance on this gear. I have traced through the forum and found quite a bit of info on the Moses 590. Sounds like a decent intermediate foil. Maybe a bit too tame? How would it compare to the spots, which I have worked out is way to small for me.

KBGhost
QLD, 260 posts
28 Aug 2022 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

My first foil was the Spotz before that; it was a horrible thing to try to learn on. They are very early foils and very race inspired. Left behind by time now.

I would say the 590 has been left behind now as well, still too small. I had one of those for a while as well. It's a decent competent wing, fast cruising but still burdened with high take off and high stall speed. Can't comment on the 645, I don't know it. Moses/sabfoil is good quality gear, with some available second hand, but can be a bit pricey if you want to add bits and pieces new.

I would try to beg borrow or steal a ride on as many other foils as you can, that's the best way.

hotballs
VIC, 114 posts
31 Aug 2022 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the reply, what are you riding now?

KBGhost
QLD, 260 posts
1 Sep 2022 8:09AM
Thumbs Up

I'm a big fan of Axis gear, as it's realistically priced (for example new masts from $120), well engineered, there's a big 2nd hand ecosystem, and they have been in overdrive for the last few years with the R&D. If you buy a good 2nd hand setup you can slowly pick up new wings etc as your skills evolve. There are, however, a couple of different series of fuselages, and it's not all interchangable. It can be daunting at first. Happy to help anyone on that front.

However....

I bought a Triton monowing about 6 months ago (see my profile pic) and I have to be honest I barely touch my Axis gear now, it's all I want to ride. It's fast, stable (once you figure out foot positioning), super reactive and so, so much fun. Not the most forgiving platform for trick progression though, difficult to switch feet etc. It turns on a dime though so you can carve tight powered gybes all day.
www.tritonfoils.com/

I have an Axis tray 94 with a HPS930 which I use as a really light wind foil for when the Triton would be too underpowered. This is still capable of over 20kts in 10kts of wind and carves well in swell.
axisfoils.com/products/tray-v3-carbon-foilboard-94
axisfoils.com/products/hps-930-carbon-hydrofoil-wing
axisfoils.com/products/380-speed-carbon-rear-wing

I also have a HPS700/380 for kite foiling but I always seem to grab the triton instead, I'm deciding whether to sell it or keep for my kids as they progress.....

Aspiremr
WA, 108 posts
5 Sep 2022 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hotballs said..
Hello wealth of knowledge,
I have had a Spotz Tuna foil and board for ages. Cannot for the life of me tack or jibe the thing! I am 197 tall and 95 kgs.
I am looking at the moses stuff second hand and have an opportunity to get M101 with 590 or M106 with W645,, or, F One Mirage800.
I have not been able to try any of the gear. I am after something that will have a decent turn of speed but be a lot more stable in turns than the ol' Spotz. Can anyone provide guidance on this gear. I have traced through the forum and found quite a bit of info on the Moses 590. Sounds like a decent intermediate foil. Maybe a bit too tame? How would it compare to the spots, which I have worked out is way to small for me.

I've just gotten of Moses gear to go to a full race foil. Will be selling a kit of Moses gear with 4 different wings, 3 masts and a board. Will be well under half replacement value. If you're interested give shoot me a message and I can detail. In terms of what is best, I have only used Moses so can't add much to what has already been said, other than I loved my Moses gear until I got onto a modern race foil, and now i cant look back. Stick with the journey, once you are gybing it is the most amazing feeling.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Foiling

"Moses 590 vs F-One mirage 800" started by hotballs