Forums > Wing Foiling General

Naish Hover Wing 95L/ Fanatic Aero High Aspect 1500 setup

Created by Jman > 9 months ago, 24 Jan 2021
Jman
VIC, 873 posts
24 Jan 2021 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

Hi all,
I'm new to wing foiling and would like a bit of feed back from anyone who has a similar combo if possible.
Firstly I had a break out week and am now able to pump up and foil along relaxed and comfortably.
My issue is feet position on the board, I have the foil all the way back in the track and about - 1.25 deg on the rear wing but my front foot is still just on the deckpad area and would like to think I could get that front foot back over the strap area.
I feel like I have plenty of front foot pressure and not much back foot pressure but this still could be false as I'm new to the sport.
I can try more rear negative shim but how much can I go? The foil set only came with max -.5 deg and I'm already double that and a bit.
Would -2 or-3deg be way to much?
Or do you guys think that as I learn that my feet will gradually work there way back as my stance adapts?
Hope this all makes sense.

omg
276 posts
24 Jan 2021 3:16PM
Thumbs Up

I don't have experience on Naish wingboards, but their foot straps placement looks to be far back compared to other board with similar lengths. Just take a look on pics on different boards. And if the difference is really big, then some foils might be incompatible (due to different balance points of different foils) with the board if straps are used.

Jonesey32
QLD, 64 posts
24 Jan 2021 10:26PM
Thumbs Up

I have the Naish Hover 110L with a Slingshot Infinity 84 foil. I also have the foil mounted as far back as I can get it, but still need my feet to be well in front of where the footstrap mounts are.

I just assumed it was an incompatibility between the design of the foil and board, with the Slingshot providing lift further forward than the Naish foils. The Slingshot front wing appears to be mounted much further forward of the mast than the Naish ones, and the Aero looks similar to the Slingshot in that area..

I've just decided to stick with no straps anyway, as I've really been enjoying the freedom of having nothing on the deck.

mcrt
611 posts
25 Jan 2021 1:02AM
Thumbs Up

Naish boards and Fanatic (or Takuma foils) do not play nice together.

I added one more footstrap insert position (three inserts) to the Hover 85.
Sail it until you know where your feet like to go for even foot pressure and DIY or take it to a board repair pro.

As omg wrote the Naish has the straps a bit far back, IMHO it will work fine with feet in front of factory strap position, the board will feel shorter and pump better.
The limit is where it gets hard to keep the nose out of the water when trying to get up on foil in choppy conditions.

LeeD
3939 posts
25 Jan 2021 1:06AM
Thumbs Up

Could it be Naish was made for the kite fuze with close distance from mast to front wing?
Windsurf fuze has too much distance.

warwickl
NSW, 2173 posts
25 Jan 2021 6:34AM
Thumbs Up

I have Naish 110 and 125l boards with few Moses wings.
My mast position is between middle and 3/4 of the way back depending on the wing I use.

Jeroensurf
866 posts
25 Jan 2021 3:46AM
Thumbs Up

I have the Fanatic skywing5.8 and my buddy the Naish 110 (5.10) and Naish got the boxxes aprox 5cm more to the front (measured from the nose). On foils that is a pretty big step so I can imagine that some combo,s don,t work.
As Warwickl his Moses as to be all the way to the back, it will at my Fanatic probably in front of the middle.

I,m looking to a faster foil (having Go foil Maliko200/IWA now), but serious considering just buy the Fanatic to prevent a mismatch.

johndg
WA, 206 posts
25 Jan 2021 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

Just a quick observation. I have a Fanatic 5'4" and have a front strap on it. Prior to having the strap my front foot was further forward and when i first tried it felt uncomfortable. Now it feels natural and I start with my foot in the strap.

I don't think that you should worry about straps when you start as you have a lot going on with getting the foil flying and foot placement. At first I was very tentative moving my feet now I move them quite a bit and it is not an issue. Getting on the foil my foot can be further forward but once up I move it back.

So what I think is that where you ride will depend upon your own preferences and skill and these will change over time. It is possible that straps can fool you into putting your feet in wrong place when you are starting.

Mast track position can be individual as well and I where I ride it and where you ride may be different depending on the equipment used and how we individually stand.

zippadeedood
14 posts
25 Jan 2021 4:28PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Jman
I have the Naish 85l board with Gofoil GL140 and 180 foils. It's all cracking kit but doesn't play well together. Many others have found the same issue. I have my foils all the way to the rear and was frustrated with the inability to use straps comfortably as they appeared to be positioned too far aft. I tried shimming the stabilizer but it never felt like a good solution. I then bought some of the NSI sticky strap inserts to put on but luckily found that running a shorter fuselage (Gofoil 6.5 inch pedestal) made a big difference. I still have the foil all the way back but the balance is now perfect. I don't know if you can do something similar but I guess it's nice to know it's not a problem unique to you and your kit.

Jman
VIC, 873 posts
25 Jan 2021 9:47PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the feed back guys. I decided to swap the naish over for skywing. Took it for a quick fly today and was able to have the foil centered in the track and my feet over the strap area. So seems that you have to be careful on mixing brands..

Subscribe

Forums > Wing Foiling General

"Naish Hover Wing 95L/ Fanatic Aero High Aspect 1500 setup" started by Jman