Light weight wave sails for 2020

Created by bigdaz > 9 months ago, 2 Nov 2019
forceten
1312 posts
27 Nov 2019 12:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stonny said..
Ezzys may not be ''one of the lightest'',but they are definitely one of the strongest. You can't have it both ways I'm afraid and unless you are a sponsored sailor or a rich man, your wave sail needs to be strong.
So for me I will stick with Ezzys and try not to loose too much sleep over a few grams.

Very well said. I do think it's possible to have it both ways, the cost however is prohibitive.
much like redheads and blondes it's a personal preference thing.

Faff
VIC, 1163 posts
14 Dec 2019 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

Severne no longer listing Blade Pro weights. All the other weights are listed.

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
15 Dec 2019 6:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Faff said..

Weird, I wonder why??? And still no sign of the info on the 2020 S1 Pro???

Faff
VIC, 1163 posts
15 Dec 2019 8:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bigdaz said..

Faff said..

Weird, I wonder why??? And still no sign of the info on the 2020 S1 Pro???

My guess is new membrane material.

The Windsurfing Shed
NSW, 294 posts
15 Dec 2019 11:21AM
Thumbs Up

S2 Maui should be up there in terms of light sails. this is their motto for the whole range:
www.s2maui.com/

Faff
VIC, 1163 posts
15 Dec 2019 12:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
The Windsurfing Shed said..
S2 Maui should be up there in terms of light sails. this is their motto for the whole range:
www.s2maui.com/

They don't list weights.

Gestalt
QLD, 14119 posts
16 Dec 2019 8:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
www.s2maui.com/

i guess thats the point of this thread. plenty of sail companies claim to be lighter when they aren't. not publishing weights while claiming the sails are lighter is a bit of a red flag.

The Windsurfing Shed
NSW, 294 posts
16 Dec 2019 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gestalt said..

www.s2maui.com/

i guess thats the point of this thread. plenty of sail companies claim to be lighter when they aren't. not publishing weights while claiming the sails are lighter is a bit of a red flag.

True, we have been asking. S2 Maui crew (Art Szpunar and Barry Spanier) is not the type to market to sell. Super humble crew dedicated to top/easy performance and quality gear.

The numbers usually come out during magazine tests. At this stage I can only find the race sails (sorry off topic):
www.facebook.com/S2MauiFrance/photos/a.801722246621065/1105398129586807/?type=3&theater
Comparatively at 5.7kg it is one of the lightest, other brands are around 6+kg.

More importantly than static weight the feel is key (eahc of the below reviews highlight weight as one of the pros):
www.windmag.com/voiles-2018-s2-maui-banshee
www.windmag.com/voiles-2019-s2-maui-wicked

Ill look more for the wave sails weight.

Snapfigure
117 posts
19 Dec 2019 4:07AM
Thumbs Up

THe surf magazine test argues the official weights of the sails For 5.0 blade pro 3.22 (not 2.7 kg) only 100 gr heavier than blade The lightness comes from the direct feeling of the membrane sail

Snapfigure
117 posts
19 Dec 2019 4:07AM
Thumbs Up

THe surf magazine test argues the official weights of the sails For 5.0 blade pro 3.22 (not 2.7 kg) only 100 gr heavier than blade The lightness comes from the direct feeling of the membrane sail

Gestalt
QLD, 14119 posts
19 Dec 2019 7:40AM
Thumbs Up

thats interesting re weights. someone mentioned in a previous post the weights got taken off the website so i guess the review might indicate why.

thats a big difference.

Snapfigure
117 posts
19 Dec 2019 3:26PM
Thumbs Up

older severne pro models were not that durable. Personally i prefer the new severne pro models which are off course heavier but more durable. I got a 5.7 blade pro and i like the reactivity of the membrane sail still very light in hands and exceptional acceleration. The normal blade is only 100 -200 gr heavier and maybe its performance is close to the pro especially in the lower sizes.

SEVERNE Blade PRO 5.0 . Surf conclusion: The Blade PRO is not lighter and in the measurable evaluation points not "better" than other sails by the bank. Nevertheless, driving feel and handling are special. If you are willing to pay an additional price for a good feeling, the Blade PRO definitely gives you a noble sail that can be used for heating in shallow water, for tricking as well as in all wave areas thanks to its top combination of performance, control and even Handling is great fun.

northy1
430 posts
19 Dec 2019 11:49PM
Thumbs Up

what sails did they test in the German mag please?

Snapfigure
117 posts
20 Dec 2019 3:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
northy1 said..
what sails did they test in the German mag please?

GA sails manic 5.0 , Gun sails Horizon 5.0 HOT SAILS MAUI KS3 4,9 NAISH SAILS Force 5 5,0 NEILPRYDE Combat HD 5,0 NEILPRYDE Combat PRO 5,0 S2 MAUI Dragon 4,9 SAILLOFT HAMBURG Quad 5,0 SEVERNE Blade 5,0 SEVERNE Blade PRO 5,0 SIMMER STYLE Blacktip 5,0

northy1
430 posts
20 Dec 2019 5:01AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Snapfigure - any views on how the Combat HD / Blacktip was received this year?

Faff
VIC, 1163 posts
20 Dec 2019 8:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Snapfigure said..
older severne pro models were not that durable. Personally i prefer the new severne pro models which are off course heavier but more durable. I got a 5.7 blade pro and i like the reactivity of the membrane sail still very light in hands and exceptional acceleration. The normal blade is only 100 -200 gr heavier and maybe its performance is close to the pro especially in the lower sizes.

SEVERNE Blade PRO 5.0 . Surf conclusion: The Blade PRO is not lighter and in the measurable evaluation points not "better" than other sails by the bank. Nevertheless, driving feel and handling are special. If you are willing to pay an additional price for a good feeling, the Blade PRO definitely gives you a noble sail that can be used for heating in shallow water, for tricking as well as in all wave areas thanks to its top combination of performance, control and even Handling is great fun.

What colour is the membrane itself? White or clear?

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
20 Dec 2019 2:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Snapfigure said..

WOW!!!! That is a huge difference!!! If going by the chart, that would put it in the only "Moderately Light" category v the earlier quoted weights putting it in the "Extremely Light" category. It will be interesting to see where the 2020 S1 Pro lands with weight. For now I'll leave the Blade Pro where it is, but add in ??? next to the weights given new info and wait for further updated information before shifting its position on the chart. It's bizarre that it's coming in 220 grams heavier than the standard Blade???

Snapfigure
117 posts
20 Dec 2019 5:08PM
Thumbs Up

Combat PRO 5.0 weight 3.32 kg
Surf conclusion: Versatility is the trump card of the Combat PRO. The interplay of performance, handling and control leaves nothing to be desired in bump & jump conditions or in the waves. Only those who freestyle at a high level will want an even more neutral profile for duck and power moves
Combat HD 5.0 weight 3.28 kg
Surf conclusion: With its successful combination of power, control and handling, the Combat covers a very wide range of uses and should feel comfortable both in shallow water and in a wide variety of wave spots. Ambitious tricksters should lack some neutrality with this sail for duck moves.

Blade 5.0 weight 3.34 kg

Faff
VIC, 1163 posts
20 Dec 2019 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Snapfigure said..
Surf conclusion: Versatility is the trump card of the Combat PRO. The interplay of performance, handling and control leaves nothing to be desired in bump & jump conditions or in the waves. Only those who freestyle at a high level will want an even more neutral profile for duck and power moves
Surf conclusion: With its successful combination of power, control and handling, the Combat covers a very wide range of uses and should feel comfortable both in shallow water and in a wide variety of wave spots. Ambitious tricksters should lack some neutrality with this sail for duck moves.

Blade 5.0 weight 3.34 kg

Are these the weights measured by the mag? Because on the Severne website the listed weight is 3.0 kg.

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
21 Dec 2019 5:41AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Faff said..

Snapfigure said..

Blade 5.0 weight 3.34 kg

Are these the weights measured by the mag? Because on the Severne website the listed weight is 3.0 kg.

Someone's scales are out somewhere, whether it is the Magazines or Severne, but there seems to be roughly an 8-10% difference. Even the mast weight is out, Severne quoting 1.3kg and the mag 1.4kg. My gut feeling is that the magazine is more likely out of whack, given Severne's reputation for light weight gear and I've never seen any comments before with quoted weights and consumers saying gear has come in heavier than acceptable variations quoted. It does leave me scratching my head though with them taking the weights off the website for the Blade Pro though???

anyone at Severne want to help clear this up?????

Faff
VIC, 1163 posts
21 Dec 2019 8:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bigdaz said..

Faff said..

Snapfigure said..

Blade 5.0 weight 3.34 kg

Someone's scales are out somewhere, whether it is the Magazines or Severne, but there seems to be roughly an 8-10% difference. Even the mast weight is out, Severne quoting 1.3kg and the mag 1.4kg. My gut feeling is that the magazine is more likely out of whack, given Severne's reputation for light weight gear and I've never seen any comments before with quoted weights and consumers saying gear has come in heavier than acceptable variations quoted. It does leave me scratching my head though with them taking the weights off the website for the Blade Pro though???

anyone at Severne want to help clear this up?????

There's a new membrane Gun sail which seems to use a similar membrane to the new Blade Pro (based on the photos). It weighs a ton.

Basher
531 posts
21 Dec 2019 11:57AM
Thumbs Up

As an ex-racing sailor I've always been concerned about the weight of my gear.
With board weight, the advantages of lighter gear lie in the acceleration and 'pop' of the board, rather than for top speed - but that's not what we are talking about here.

With a reduced rig weight there are several advantages with the main one being your board floats higher in the water and therefore planes earlier.
The lighter rig is also easier to chuck around but watch out that you don't confuse rig dead weight with the pull or drive of the sail - which is down to its shape. (A sail which is not rigged properly can also feel heavy in the hands...).

Lighter rig weight also means it's less tiring to sail and so in theory you can sail longer or carry out tricks more effectively.
However, when just sailing along, you don't notice rig weight because the dead weight is neutralised once planing, and that's why it only helps in transitions.
Indeed, you probably notice the weight of your gear the most when carrying it down to the water.

Other advantages of lightweight gear include getting more sails or boards in a board bag for travel on a plane when they have a bag weight limit. And I know this because since I changed to Severne sails I can get an extra sail size in the bag for my trip to Cape Town.

I can also tell you that the Severne sail weights and mast weights on their site are pretty accurate for my own gear, if weighed dry. I weigh each item before putting it in a travel bag, and then I weigh the total bag weight at the end to check I'm still within the airline limits.

I had a whole set of S1 pros for a while and some Blade pros. I can't speak about the 2020 models but in the early versions the Pro sail weights were exactly as advertised and usually about 500grams lighter than the non-pro versions.
I now have standard S1s for 2020 and they are pretty light too, meaning the pro versions of Severne designs seem to have less of a weight advantage.
However using the bespoke 'spiderfibre' panels will still mean the Pro Blade sail is better engineered for rig 'response', and should offer a better strength-to-weight ratio.

it's good to hear that NP sails are finally catching up with a weight reduction . They were very slow at looking at rig weights compared to many other brands. There are several aspects of rig design that do nothing to add strength to a sail but which add a lot of unnecessary weight, and weight reduction is not always about using more expensive cloths.
Whilst a lot of buyers might still like to see their gear as looking 'reassuringly heavy', good design and proper engineering is where you pare down weight in areas where it serves no purpose.

Brent in Qld
WA, 835 posts
30 Dec 2019 8:01AM
Thumbs Up

Reading this thread I thought I'd weigh my 2020 Blade 5.7.
Spec = 3.3kg // actual = 3.58kg (scales are calibrated)

Given the QC involved to monitor individual sail weights coming off a production line, if sail brands are going to continue to advertise sail weights they probably need to do what board makers do to cover manufacturing variation & inconsistency. +/- 10% or the like?

Anything under 4kg is pretty damn light for my largest wave sail. Regardless of outcome the sail looks, feels & has been sailing really well this spring/summer. I can also rig it successfully on a 400 saving a bit of weight over a 430 mast. If I get worried about the 300gm I'll lay off the pies & beer for a while...

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
30 Dec 2019 12:40PM
Thumbs Up

I just picked up my 2020 Ezzy sails and weighed them, they came in either bang on or within a few grams of the quoted weights on their website (Ezzy Wave 4.2 and 4.7 and Taka 5.3).
Good to know the quoted weights are accurate.

Nerdburger
NSW, 286 posts
30 Dec 2019 4:38PM
Thumbs Up

Pics please??

Gestalt
QLD, 14119 posts
30 Dec 2019 4:25PM
Thumbs Up

i weighed our 2020 3.8m severne redback today.

spec weight is 2.4kg.

sail weighed in at 2.43kg. its used so has some dirt and salt residue on it. so bang on listed weight for me with only 30g difference.

Basher
531 posts
30 Dec 2019 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

A few notes on weighing sails:

Firstly, you need a decent set of scales or other weighing mechanism - and it's difficult to weigh a big and bulky item that is in the 3 or 4kgs range.
I use a hand-held luggage-weighing gadget by Balanzza as recommended by Robby Swift, and I weigh any item three times to get an average reading. I stand on a ladder and attach the sail to my Balanzza via the clew cringle, holding it vertically (and out of any wind).

If you hold something and then get on domestic weighing scales and then deduct your body weight that's rarely accurate!

When sails are wet that obviously adds to the weight. Once you have been trashed in waves then rinsing water will have left sand and other deposits inside your sail seams and batten pockets, so a used sail weighs more than a new one.

Sometimes we weigh stuff to get on an airplane and if you weigh each item and then the total package that gives you a better idea of the accurate weight. So try weighing several sails at once and see if the total weight is the sum of the individual weights.
I just got a new quiver of Severne S1s and was surprised to find just how accurate their listed weights were/are. I double checked their weight by adding 4 of them to a board bag which I had already weighed with the same Balanzza scales.

The total package has to weigh under 32kgs to get on a plane, so hopefully the airport scales will read the same as mine!

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
30 Dec 2019 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Nerdburger said..
Pics please??

I posted some pics in the gear review section.

Nerdburger
NSW, 286 posts
31 Dec 2019 5:11PM
Thumbs Up

Yep they look awesome ??, cheers

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
17 Jan 2020 9:48AM
Thumbs Up

Whats with the delay with Severne releasing the info on the 2020 S1 Pro??? Info should have been out months ago??? Still very interested to hear about all the latest technology going into that sail and what it ended up weighing.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Wave sailing

"Light weight wave sails for 2020" started by bigdaz