WA, 22089 posts
25 Sep 2021 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

I got one coming

Jens
WA, 340 posts
26 Sep 2021 8:00AM
Thumbs Up

Good to see Mark. I still have fond memories of the old Delta asy days. Awesome bottom turns. Not so keen on their lack of planing and wobbliness when the wind dropped though. Still that was a long time ago and designs have moved on. Will be very interesting to see how the modern asy goes. Cheers Jens

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
26 Sep 2021 1:39PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks man
I've decided to build this as my smaller board due to them not being the best when marginal... but I'm excited about a couple of ideas I'm putting in it
Also its exactly 30yrs since I got my one and only asymmetric that was an epoxy sandwich so very exciting in 1991 .... but it was made by some random dude, poorly repaired by someone else and as a young bloke I had no idea. Its was a sh!t board to start with, not right for me, and been repaired with wood filler (like literally brown porous stuff sucking in more water.
Fond memories making me seeing if I can get something better this time. I know its going to bottom and top turn wonderfully.... as to the rest, well that might be up to the universe as assy's are a bit fickle huh

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
26 Sep 2021 1:41PM
Thumbs Up

So if anyone has a single lonesome MT fin - I'm looking for an 11 or 12
Still undecided about what boxes to use so that ^^^^^ might make the decision for me...

Carantoc
WA, 6322 posts
26 Sep 2021 1:50PM
Thumbs Up

Hard to tell from the pics but is that only asymmetric in the tail, or is it different widths each side throughout ?

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
26 Sep 2021 4:49PM
Thumbs Up

Slight plan shape change in rear. For most, the centre is still the centre. This will be offset with fin positioning like an assy surfboard - quad one side and thruster the other.
Rail volume is a bit less on bottom turn rail

LeeD
3939 posts
27 Sep 2021 2:46AM
Thumbs Up

Good stuff!!
Got my 1st from Doug Haut in spring '87...poly glass 8'3", 11" Starboard, 10" port, 20 lbs.
Used maybe 60 days at Waddell, Davenport over 3 years.

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
29 Sep 2021 9:47PM
Thumbs Up

Well nobody has offered a lone 11cm MT fin so it was time to chop up one of Pio's creations (a really top fin BTW)

Chop:

Shape:

Mould:

And done, MT base:

A little cant, little toe, assy foil ever so slightly.

philn
725 posts
3 Oct 2021 11:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..
Mould:

Very nicely done.

What do you use to make the mould for the base?

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
4 Oct 2021 8:35AM
Thumbs Up

When I have a fin that is a tiny bit tight in most boxes so its a nice max size, I take a mould from it. Two part silicone.
There is not too much extra material to add to the slot bx base, I've used resin and lots of milled fibreglass

philn
725 posts
28 Oct 2021 2:00PM
Thumbs Up

I'm on Maui at the moment. (Great sailing last few days) Asymmetrics seem to be what a lot of local sailors are sailing now.

nebbian
WA, 6277 posts
28 Oct 2021 4:28PM
Thumbs Up

I saw Mark's board a couple of weeks ago, really looks the goods. If I had a few more disposable fun vouchers I'd definitely order one.

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
29 Oct 2021 9:33AM
Thumbs Up

^^^ Thanks man
Its stalled due to other work commitments but its my small board so from the forecasts so far looks like I've got a while :(

Grantmac
1953 posts
29 Oct 2021 12:21PM
Thumbs Up

Which side are you bottom turning with? Also what does the rocker look like on each side?

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
31 Oct 2021 1:04PM
Thumbs Up

Opposite tack to KT's boards, we have left to right seabreeze when you're standing on the beach. Starboard tack riding. Goofy.

I have left the rocker the same as the other changes are significant enough and didn't want to go nuts on the first assy. If you make everything too wild and its a dog then its hard to diagnose what's wrong....
This is a 'normal' board that I know will work well - and then some minor tweaks to outline, rail, volume distribution and then obviously that tail :)

stonny
NSW, 99 posts
31 Oct 2021 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your finished creation and hearing how she's like on the wave. Looks great so far.

Grantmac
1953 posts
1 Nov 2021 2:40AM
Thumbs Up

So long side to windward on the way out and to leeward on the wave?

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
2 Nov 2021 5:27PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah long rail is the bottom turn rail. Thats also the rail that is thinner for bottom turn engagement..... which unfortunately is not what you want heading out...... so I've moved some rail volume to have a thinner rail but still feel it as underfoot volume for getting out. Makes for a funny deck shape but we're only talking a small 5mm thick hump around feet to track. I know KT is thinning out the bottom turn rail in the midsection, unsure if he is sneaking it back in elsewhere but for a big fella like me its a priority.

Grantmac
1953 posts
4 Nov 2021 12:19AM
Thumbs Up

If I'm following correctly this kind of implies that a tubby shape will offer advantages in the top turn while a more traditional shape offers them in the bottom turn?
Volume distribution is a very interesting thing. I wonder if the assys are weird to slog because of it?

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
8 Nov 2021 10:05AM
Thumbs Up

Coming along....

philn
725 posts
8 Nov 2021 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

Interesting fin setup. Is it a Thruster on the bottom turn side, quad on the top turn side?

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
8 Nov 2021 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

Yup. Like a surfboard with quad one side and thruster the other.

But also a conventional thruster setup - with the top turn side fin a bit further forward.

So we know the latter works, but I wanted to try the setup used on assy surfboards. It will only ever have 3 fins in it, but should be very different feel and I'm really excited to try that aspect of tuning.
Finished off the canted and toe'd larger fin (11cm) for the top turn side today. I hate making MT, its so much final fitting sanding.

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
20 Nov 2021 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

Dunno if the rear foot positions will be used at that extreme, would be almost dipping toes in the bottom turn but will be interesting to find out just how far over we can go......

philn
725 posts
20 Nov 2021 8:51PM
Thumbs Up

Looks awesome. I'm looking forward to a sailing report.

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
23 Nov 2021 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

Love it. First sail today and it works as expected. Tried as thruster with 19 / 10's. Forgot about fins so had to quickly make a 19 this morning!!!!!

Really, nothing extreme or magic recipe here, I just got a waveboard that I know works well, gave it a smidge more tail rocker and chopped the top turn rail. So we know from that it will turn better.

The reduction in early planing is minor and its a fast-ish rocker in the mid section. The loss of tail area contributes to that also.... so as a heavy guy and its my small board yeah its a Gnaraloo board. But I knew that I'd get little use out of it. Slightly slower to plane but once planing its fast.
Turns insane - just lovely.

Again, for heavy guy if the wind drops in the break you need to load weight forward abit more than other boards, but those (predicted) tradeoffs are worth it for a pure DTL board that turns so well..

Yet to try as quad/thruster - maybe tomorrow

But so far I reckon I'd only make very minor tweaks to this design, its very nice.

773 posts
24 Nov 2021 11:07AM
Thumbs Up

Sounds great result, you must be stoked
WA sounds like the perfect place for Assy!

Grantmac
1953 posts
25 Nov 2021 1:15AM
Thumbs Up

You've got this as your higher wind board. Thoughts on building an assy to suite the other end of the spectrum to try and get a bigger board to turn right?

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
25 Nov 2021 8:42AM
Thumbs Up

^^^ definitely. But if its for a big guy then adding tail rocker will help it turn but frustrate the rider with making it harder to plane. So easier to stick with the proven high volume, slightly faster wave rocker and yeah OK assy tail if you want.

If its for light guys then easy - more tail rocker and assy it, like I did in this case. But this is where the problem is reversed - they use a fat board for float and ride and then say big boards don't turn - no they just don't have the weight or mastfoot pressure to engage a rail. I think its a fallacy that big waveboards don't turn. The problem is light guys getting on a 100L - 120L and saying they don't turn

So anything can be done - but I suggest big waveboards are quite different designs for a big guy, versus a float-n-ride little guy's board

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
1 Dec 2021 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

Proper review. Bearing in mid I'm 105kegs or so, and used this in mega powered 5.3 (others on 4.7) and then next day well powered 5.0 (others on 4.2-4.5)

Set up as thruster with 19cm/ 10cm x2 was nice on a wave but very loose and skatey on way out, crabbing a bit and would not quite go upwind to what I'd like. With all that, I figured it was underfinned.

Changed up from 10cm to to the 11cm (with quite a bit more area and stiffer) on the top turn side (short rail) and it transformed. Just as good on a wave but now trucking upwind .... almost quad-like .... and much more secure in the rough stuff / traversing the break overpowered. Lovely.
Can't say enough good stuff about the turning its magnificent... if u go too hard top turn becomes a180 real fast with the nose straight into the wind, but it predictable and recoverable. It really needs no discernable heel input to make the top turn.

Also I presumed this would be a DTL only board for the good days - but in powered up cross on at Corro it has been really nice. The mega loose top turn like a twin or better, with secure drivey bottom turn like a thruster ensures it feels really playful. So my assumption about assy for perfect waves - maybe not. Potential for more fun in ****ty stufftoo.

Seen Stoney's assy now and everyone using it loves it (same spot same days as me) . Stoked to be doing something really different that is working for me. Stoneys is really working for a few people so I think assy's done right are not just a cross-off board and not at all like the 1980's can openers

R1DER
WA, 1455 posts
2 Dec 2021 11:42AM
Thumbs Up

Looks like I'm going to have to come up and try it out

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
2 Dec 2021 1:16PM
Thumbs Up

I reckon you do man.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Wave sailing