Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

JP Hydrofoil LXT 2021

Created by bigbear > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2021
bigbear
QLD, 149 posts
12 Jun 2021 5:42PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys, just wondering if anyone has had any issues with the LXT construction of the 2021 boards?
I have the 135 Hydrofoil and used it 3 times, less than an hour each time and the deck is covered in dents. I think this was caused by my knee's when climbing on to uphaul. The deck also seems to have flattened either side of the mast track where the mast lays prior to uphauling, I have had a warranty claim in for about 4 months now and finally got a reply back from the Cobra factory today. They want me to
open up the damaged area to see if there are any construction issues. I have been windsurfing for 35 years or so, formular and slalom, and never had a board that is as soft as this one. So before I take to it with the stanley knife I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem. Thanks in advance.

tonyk
QLD, 522 posts
12 Jun 2021 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

Same issues with my 2020 hydrofoil pro from day one Nothing structural just compression dints on deck
In my case caused by a numbers of things including mast, uphaul trapped under mast, knees, buckles on harness, etc
I have seen a local guys 2021 LXT 135 and it's got them too

I can't see a replacement being any different unless you go with the heavy epoxy version
FWS was the best construction but it's not available
now
Cheers
TK

PhilUK
892 posts
12 Jun 2021 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bigbear said..
Hi Guys, just wondering if anyone has had any issues with the LXT construction of the 2021 boards?
I have the 135 Hydrofoil and used it 3 times, less than an hour each time and the deck is covered in dents. I think this was caused by my knee's when climbing on to uphaul. The deck also seems to have flattened either side of the mast track where the mast lays prior to uphauling, I have had a warranty claim in for about 4 months now and finally got a reply back from the Cobra factory today. They want me to
open up the damaged area to see if there are any construction issues. I have been windsurfing for 35 years or so, formular and slalom, and never had a board that is as soft as this one. So before I take to it with the stanley knife I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem. Thanks in advance.

They want you to open it up and take a look? What if there are no construction issues? What then? If they replaced the board first and then said can you open it up then I think that would be fair enough.
Cant you return it to the shop and let them sort it out, thats the usual way of dealing with complaints like this.
I had a Cobra made board which developed a soft spot on the deck and I had the go ahead for a replacement board within 3 weeks. That was a board I bought in France and I sent a video of the damage (without any knife work) as I live in England.

PhilUK
892 posts
12 Jun 2021 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tonyk said..
Same issues with my 2020 hydrofoil pro from day one Nothing structural just compression dints on deck
In my case caused by a numbers of things including mast, uphaul trapped under mast, knees, buckles on harness, etc
I have seen a local guys 2021 LXT 135 and it's got them too

I can't see a replacement being any different unless you go with the heavy epoxy version
FWS was the best construction but it's not available
now
Cheers
TK

Looking at their website, isnt the LXT a sort of hybrid between their old 'FWS' and 'Pro'? The LXT just has the wood on the hull and a PVC sandwich and fibre glass on the deck?
I was pondering getting a LXT Supersport.

PhilUK
892 posts
12 Jun 2021 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

There was a discussion in this thread about small compressions on the deck. This board had a recessed mastfoot and was used for foiling so a lot of uphauling. Your board looks to have compressions all along the deck, not just in 1 place caused by the collar ring on the extension hitting the raised rail.

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/General/Board-deck-dents--cover-with-dual-density-EVA-before-it-cracks-

Subsonic
WA, 2964 posts
12 Jun 2021 11:42PM
Thumbs Up

I've got a jp 175, and they certainly build them light. Mine also dents easily, there are depressions in the deck that are (as best i can work out) solely from the mast resting on the deck when i clamber onto the opposite side of the board. But its a race board, it's built light and sort of expected it'll dent easily. But not as easily as yours by the looks.

on the subject of cutting the board open, my mates board had more serious issues, and they wanted it cut open as well. He's cut it open and is now waiting to hear back about the warranty. In his case, it was delaminating all over the place, so it's a bit more of a clear warranty issue. But in the case of your board its a bit less clear. They can logically say boards do get depressions in them. but if the damage in the photos is from three short sessions (and you haven't mistreated the board outside of what should be expected) then theres clearly an issue. Perhaps their construction lay up is just not fit for purpose, but i'm not sure that they would warranty it without a fight if cutting it open revealed two well laminated materials.

Its kinda sh!te to tell a customer to purposely damage their new board when they might just say "no sorry, not helping you out there", leaving you with a damaged not fit for purpose board.

LeeD
3939 posts
13 Jun 2021 12:40AM
Thumbs Up

Those look like spreader bar marks.

windfred
65 posts
13 Jun 2021 6:06AM
Thumbs Up

Mine has them too. I've side seen this on pretty much all foil boards. From the angles it doesn't look like it's from a mast too me. I'd guess harness hook too. Be mindful of your hook when you're climbing up. My JP 135 FWS has held up remarkably well considering the abuse I put her through. The only other board in our area that seems to hold up as well is the slingshots but they are much heavier.

bigbear
QLD, 149 posts
13 Jun 2021 8:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LeeD said..
Those look like spreader bar marks.

Hi LeeD, Yes that mark on the rail is from the harness hook even though I was particularly careful you just can't help it sometimes. I sailed formular boards for years and climbed back on to uphaul countless times and never had any issues with harness hook or knee dents. Seems like the old Starboard 186 and alike were a much stronger construction

LeeD
3939 posts
13 Jun 2021 9:19AM
Thumbs Up

I sailed Formula a bit also, had 3 of 'em.
Formula is much wider, and much more stable, so you lift yourself past the spreader bar.
Smaller boards are less stable, so you tend to miss once in a while and crush the spreader bar onto the deck.
Also, as you get older, you tend more to drag yourself onto the deck.

Cluffy
NSW, 414 posts
13 Jun 2021 4:51PM
Thumbs Up

I have a brand new 150 litre in ES construction. First time out and the board is leaking where the deck joins the finbox holes. I was thinking about getting a new supersport 122. I think I'll be giving that a miss.

mob dog
NSW, 273 posts
13 Jun 2021 5:07PM
Thumbs Up

This is a bit of a worry. I am planning on buying a JP SLW in LXT construction this year. I wonder if those boards have the same issues, I mean they're the same construction so its logical. Damn recessed mast tracks I wish they never started with them. Iv'e considered fanatic falcon light wind as well but they have recessed mast tracks too. Anyway probably won't end up getting one the retailers want pre orders now even though JP aren't releasing any information on price or this years graphics on the board because they are still selling 2021 models in the European market. Really don't want to put a deposit on without knowing the final price or what the board even looks like. Might go and have another look at the falcon, the retailer is only 50km away, has one in stock and only $2500 for 2020 run out price.

mob dog
NSW, 273 posts
13 Jun 2021 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cluffy said..
I have a brand new 150 litre in ES construction. First time out and the board is leaking where the deck joins the finbox holes. I was thinking about getting a new supersport 122. I think I'll be giving that a miss.

Hey Cluffy you've had both SLW and falcon haven't you , I remember seeing a review of both boards from you saying ultimately you liked the SLW better, every one else says the same thing too that's why I have my heart set on it. But all I really want out of it is light wind planing but durability is a big consideration for me, I won't be able to replace it if it stuffs up. LXT is new and unproven, fanatic has not changed their construction for a while so must be robust ?

Cluffy
NSW, 414 posts
13 Jun 2021 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mob dog said..

Cluffy said..

Hey Cluffy you've had both SLW and falcon haven't you , I remember seeing a review of both boards from you saying ultimately you liked the SLW better, every one else says the same thing too that's why I have my heart set on it. But all I really want out of it is light wind planing but durability is a big consideration for me, I won't be able to replace it if it stuffs up. LXT is new and unproven, fanatic has not changed their construction for a while so must be robust ?

My SLW was a 2012 plywood so it was fine construction wise.I can't really comment to much on current JP build quality as my 150 foil is the only new JP I've dealt with a for quite a while. My old 135 foil is an ES as well and it manages to be heavy and fragile at the same time. The good thing about the ES boards is they are quite quite cheap compared to other brands. A plywood SLW might be the go if you can find one.

There are a couple of Falcon lightwind's around. Kite and Sup at Warners Bay has one atm and I think WSS boards in Sydney might have one as well. Personally I prefer the fanatic construction over the JP but I think a lot of people might disagree. Unfortunately I don't like the fanatic freeride and free race boards. The Jag's are too flat in the rocker and I found the one I rode to be generally unfun. The Blast's turn me off as well as I personally detest stubbys and I'm not keen on overly domed decks either.

On the plus side for the 150 foil, it has a nice long mast track. I bought it mainly for foil slalom and light wind free ride so being able to move the mast foot a long way forward is a plus.

Sandman1221
2776 posts
16 Jun 2021 6:10AM
Thumbs Up

Had a similar problem with my Goya Bolt, see my review of it, ended up covering that area with dual density eva from North Shore Inc. AND made a 3/4" shim for the mast base so mast no longer hits the ridge of the concave deck. First and Last time I buy a board with a concave deck.

Subsonic
WA, 2964 posts
16 Jun 2021 7:54AM
Thumbs Up

Concave decks. Depends on what the board is. Foilboards, yeah bit of an issue. Other boards you rarely rest the board and mast together on purpose once you can water start

Sandman1221
2776 posts
16 Jun 2021 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Subsonic said..
Concave decks. Depends on what the board is. Foilboards, yeah bit of an issue. Other boards you rarely rest the board and mast together on purpose once you can water start

Well the main issue for me was I was resting offshore sitting on the board, and in 15-20 knots there are +2' waves which rock the board into the mast every time a wave passes.

Grantmac
1953 posts
16 Jun 2021 11:53AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sandman1221 said..

Subsonic said..

Well the main issue for me was I was resting offshore sitting on the board, and in 15-20 knots there are +2' waves which rock the board into the mast every time a wave passes.

The Bolt (and similar designs) aren't designed for beginners, intermediate and advanced windsurfers don't sit on their board driving the mast into the deck.

mob dog
NSW, 273 posts
16 Jun 2021 4:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Subsonic said..

I really dislike the idea of the concave deck I just can't see the benefits." Lowering the mast base 1 inch creates lower centre of gravity and more up right rig giving more mast base pressure and control" Really! does it make any noticeable difference at all ?, other than making the board prone to damage on the rails. I smell marketing not substance in this claim. I really want to spend my hard earned on a very light wind board but the only 2 that will suit me both have concave decks and I'm at the point now that I'm thinking of contacting carbon art about getting a custom made without this concave nonsense. If they can do it which I think they can for a reasonable price, the big boys can kiss my $4000 goodbye.

Imax1
QLD, 4527 posts
16 Jun 2021 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

Next someone will be selling spacer kits to raise the mast . Probably a good idea for people uphauling these boards .

ducati
QLD, 470 posts
16 Jun 2021 7:49PM
Thumbs Up

I love the concave deck, gives you a nice puddle of water to wash your feet in B4 you stick em in the straps when sailing muddy locations

t36
98 posts
17 Jun 2021 2:20PM
Thumbs Up

For low-wind foiling I have 2 Patrik AI - the Formulafoil 190 und the Hybrid 91. Both with a deep concave mast spur.

Both have no problem with "laying the rigg down on the board" - so in my oppinion this problem - disussed in this thread - is not only due to the concave, but more to the used production technique of JP.

My 2019 JP Hydrofoil 135 Pro had many of these little dent, too.

Sandman1221
2776 posts
18 Jun 2021 10:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Grantmac said..

Sandman1221 said..

Subsonic said..

The Bolt (and similar designs) aren't designed for beginners, intermediate and advanced windsurfers don't sit on their board driving the mast into the deck.

I am no beginner, and unless you have a nuclear generator running your muscles, you get tired sooner or later! So I need to take a break sometimes when off-shore and prefer to sit on the board when in saltwater that I share with sharks. And clarification, I do not drive the mast into the board, the waves/swell rock the board into the mast when the board is perpendicular to the waves and the mast is perpendicular to the board (mast/sail are downwind). With the Bolt's concave deck the ridge running around the concave is the first thing to hit the mast when the mast is laying in the water on the side of the board, and because the ridge is well a ridge all the force of the mast is applied to a 1" area on the ridge crushing the eps under the deck. This also happens when I am just pushing the kit with 95 cm foil into deeper water with 2-3' waves coming on shore, I cannot keep the waves from rocking the board into the mast, while also controlling the kit in 15-20+ knots winds.

Sandman1221
2776 posts
18 Jun 2021 11:13PM
Thumbs Up

Bottom line is I solved the problem by using a 3/4" spacer on the mast base, which defeats the whole purpose of the concave deck, and I do not feel any difference!

LasserDrakar
36 posts
20 Jan 2022 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

What was the outcome of the warranty claim?
Do you still have the board, what state is it in today?

Curious as I am looking at the JP SLW LXT.

choco
SA, 3995 posts
21 Jan 2022 8:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ducati said..
I love the concave deck, gives you a nice puddle of water to wash your feet in B4 you stick em in the straps when sailing muddy locations

And there is a nice drain plug located at the lowest point so you can wash out all the mud

John340
QLD, 3047 posts
21 Jan 2022 1:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sandman1221 said..
Bottom line is I solved the problem by using a 3/4" spacer on the mast base, which defeats the whole purpose of the concave deck, and I do not feel any difference!

Maybe you should upgrade from your windsurf freerace board to a purpose designed and built windfoil board that is shorter, has no concave deck, but a wide tail with most of the volume under the footstraps.

Awalkspoiled
WA, 462 posts
25 Jan 2022 2:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
t36 said..
For low-wind foiling I have 2 Patrik AI - the Formulafoil 190 und the Hybrid 91. Both with a deep concave mast spur.

Both have no problem with "laying the rigg down on the board" - so in my oppinion this problem - disussed in this thread - is not only due to the concave, but more to the used production technique of JP.

My 2019 JP Hydrofoil 135 Pro had many of these little dent, too.

I agree - it's a construction fault. My Tillo custom - with recessed mast track - was built with a couple of layers of Innegra at the rails near the mast, and at the nose also. The weight penalty is minimal, the extra construction step surely worthwhile in durability, but few large-volume companies bother.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7917 posts
25 Jan 2022 6:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mob dog said..

Subsonic said..

I really dislike the idea of the concave deck I just can't see the benefits." Lowering the mast base 1 inch creates lower centre of gravity and more up right rig giving more mast base pressure and control" Really! does it make any noticeable difference at all ?, other than making the board prone to damage on the rails. I smell marketing not substance in this claim. I really want to spend my hard earned on a very light wind board but the only 2 that will suit me both have concave decks and I'm at the point now that I'm thinking of contacting carbon art about getting a custom made without this concave nonsense. If they can do it which I think they can for a reasonable price, the big boys can kiss my $4000 goodbye.

I've got an 80ltre isonic with a recessed deck. Never had any issues except that the mastfoot kept sliding forward when I first used it.
I was using a 2000s mastbase and fixed the problem by buying some new Severnes that had a different shape and were designed for modern boards.
I like the recessed deck. As a shortarsse 5'5" I was running the boom at the bottom of the cutout. It used to damage the lower zip on the ODs.With the recessed deck I can run it at a decent height.

JPaulM
2 posts
27 Sep 2022 1:08AM
Thumbs Up

Have you been helped out by JP? I have the same issue with my 2021 Hydrofoil 135 LXT. I'm thinking of padding the mast from the mast base all the way to the boom - hope to reduce denting the deck from mast contact. I also have a 4-5" fine crack near the mast base running along the high point of the deck (where the concave shape meets the convex shape). I have no idea what caused this crack, it just appeared one day. The mast does not contact this area of the board so I'm stumped. I've contacted the dealer and he's looking into this with JP. Will provide an update if I get any help. I have 30 year old windsurf boards (Bic, Seatrend) that have been used a lot more and are in much better shape. Granted the LXT is super light, but clearly not built for durability. I would like to post photos of the damage but I can't as I'm a new user.

LyndbyStrand
12 posts
12 Oct 2022 5:33PM
Thumbs Up

Hi
I'm the happy owner of a JP Hydrofoil 133 LXT 2022 for more than 6 month. No dents or other dings at all

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"JP Hydrofoil LXT 2021" started by bigbear