Created by aussieboats > 9 months ago, 4 Sep 2018
GazMan
WA, 835 posts
6 Dec 2018 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..
2019 KA Koyote 6.6m. First ride.

I cheeky little Easterly kicked in at around 15 knots this arvo, so I though I should ask for a dance. Good chance to try out the new 6.6m Koyote. I had not really sailed one of these for quite a while so it was a very interesting experience. Different, but fun. CoE slightly further back so has to move harness lines. This also made me feel like I was going to spin out, and I did a few times going upwind even though that is the fin I would normally use. I think it would be beter with a slightly larger one. Gybing was effortless and the sail felt light in the gybes. But the Koncept feels lighter in the hands on the runs - even though it is actually heavier. But I found this with the Race as well which is heavier again, but on the reaches the Race feels super easy and light in the hands. However, in the gybes it is a lot more physical than the Koncept.
I played with the settings and found a little more outhaul had it feeling very nice. On the Koncepts I would normally run the batten touching the boom, sometimes quite heavily, but on the Koyote, it liked it better a couple of cm off the boom. That meant one more notch on the boom extension than the recommended with my RDM mast. It may be different with an SDM. Anyhow, I had a very nice time and it was good fun to use something a bit different.

Nice one Daffy, a 5.9 on the way for me!!!

Have you sailed the 2019 6.6 Koncept yet? Interested in comparison of Koncept vs Koyote in same size.

sailquik
VIC, 6068 posts
9 Dec 2018 1:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
GazMan said..
Nice one Daffy, a 5.9 on the way for me!!!
Have you sailed the 2019 6.6 Koncept yet? Interested in comparison of Koncept vs Koyote in same size.

Nope. Thats one size I dont have. I have the 6.2m Koncept and jump to the 7.0m.
I would have used the 6.2m Koncept in the same wind on that board. But it's close enough for a pretty good comparison. I think the 6.2m has about the same, or slightly less low end wind range, and much more top end. Feels like the drive is more forward in the Koncept, with a lighter feel when sailing, but slightly less easy in the gybes. The Koyote has a nice flexy feel for pumping onto the plane but not quite so responsive to the gusts.

powersloshin
NSW, 1653 posts
10 Dec 2018 7:07AM
Thumbs Up

And here is my new Koncept 5.2
Needs a bit more downhaul, this is 492, specs at 493 look right. Awesome deep shape. The top and bottom cams were a bit hard to set. I like the longer boom cutout that makes it easy to fit the boom.
LG here I come !
If anyone wants a 2014 5.0 contact me, its in the free ads.

Jezstrt
TAS, 1471 posts
25 Jan 2019 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

Sails look great.. Hoping/looking forward to when the KA race 7.1 fits on a 430 mast

w100
WA, 233 posts
25 Jan 2019 9:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jezstrt said..
Sails look great.. Hoping/looking forward to when the KA race 7.1 fits on a 430 mast

I think it makes for a design change. ..and I wouldn't like it different than the 7.1 is!
I've tested the 430 in the current design and still prefer the 460 anyway. Sail holds on with softness and delivers good low end. This size is a killer in 18-30+ kts. Softer 430 makes it less responsive and stable at high revs. Using different mast is more a matter of feeling than real performance stuff. I better prefer downsize...

Jezstrt
TAS, 1471 posts
27 Jan 2019 12:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
w100 said..

Jezstrt said..

I think it makes for a design change. ..and I wouldn't like it different than the 7.1 is!
I've tested the 430 in the current design and still prefer the 460 anyway. Sail holds on with softness and delivers good low end. This size is a killer in 18-30+ kts. Softer 430 makes it less responsive and stable at high revs. Using different mast is more a matter of feeling than real performance stuff. I better prefer downsize...

Certainly not saying that the sails in their current state don't perform well and have a nice feeling rigged on the 460.

It would be nice to not have to have a 460 mast for the 7.1 race.

All sails in the top 10 of last years PWA slalom have a recommended mast of 430, for sails around 7m..

w100
WA, 233 posts
26 Jan 2019 11:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jezstrt said..

w100 said..

Jezstrt said..

Certainly not saying that the sails in their current state don't perform well and have a nice feeling rigged on the 460.

It would be nice to not have to have a 460 mast for the 7.1 race.

All sails in the top 10 of last years PWA slalom have a recommended mast of 430, for sails around 7m..

Don't know the real reason why Ka designers recommend the 460 for the 7,1. My feeling is that the kar is a soft feeling sail. If you use a shorther/softer mast you could kill the stability and the good low end with no real gain at the very high end. Another reason could be (absolutely not sure about that) the kar 7.1 could be slightly bigger than same size other brands. If not, maybe they prefer a more high aspect design then other brands. At the end of the day, for me, it's not important as in my experience the 7.1 is probably my fav size, covering a super wide wind range always in performance (this is not always the case with other brands...)

powersloshin
NSW, 1653 posts
12 Feb 2019 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

used the 5.2 at LG and feels powerful and very stable. Easier to go upwind too.

mr love
VIC, 2294 posts
13 Feb 2019 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

Although I have never personally tested the 2019 Race 7.1 on a 430 I see no reason why it would not work especially for lighter riders. Heavy, powerful riders may find it a bit soft but without some decent testing I am only speculating.
2020 ? well we are looking at a number of options, too early to discuss.

John340
QLD, 3045 posts
13 Feb 2019 1:25PM
Thumbs Up

I tried my 2018 7.1 with a 430 mast yesterday. It worked OK, but I prefer the feel of the sail when rigged with the recommended 460 mast.

Has anyone used the 2019 6.3 with a 400 RDM?

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"First look at the 2019 ka Sails" started by aussieboats