Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

First look at the 2019 ka Sails

Created by aussieboats > 9 months ago, 4 Sep 2018
aussieboats
NSW, 342 posts
4 Sep 2018 8:28AM
Thumbs Up

KA.Race (4-cam Slalom)From the outside the sail looks almost the same as in 2018, but the CAD files tell a completely different story!The luff round has been increased across the range, delivering more horsepower and taking the stability in the sail to a new level.We also widened the luff sleeve and created more drive in the lower 1/3 of the sail.More twist raises the top speed and helps to "un-stick" wide-tailed slalom boards.Furthermore, we also did a subtle update in the graphics of the KA.Race for 2019!

Koncept (Speed and Slalom)
Despite the modest graphics update, there have been some major changes in the Koncept for 2019.We have totally redesigned the speed sizes (4.7, 5.2, 5.7) which are now 4-cam sails with a real focus on downwind speed sailing.The bottom camber is however still adjustable so it could be taken out if you want to use the sail for freeriding.The sleeve has been widened, more shape has been added in the bottom half of the sail and the twist has been optimised for downwind speed.The larger sizes Koncept will have the 3 camber set-up as before (6.2, 6.6, 7.0, 7.8, 8.6) and here we have optimised the twist for a more all-round performance.On top of that, the sizing of the Koncept has been tweaked throughout the range.

Killer (Power Wave)
Minor tweaks were made to the Killer for 2019. The twist in the sail has been optimised with a focus on a more neutral feeling during Aerial manoeuvres.We also updated the internal reinforcements to reduce weight and enhance the durability of the sail. Furthermore, the top and bottom battens were changed to a lighter material without compromising the stability in the sail.

Kamikaze (Compact Wave)The few changes we made to the Kamikaze for 2019 include lowered clew height for better ergonomic performance. We also had a good look at the internal reinforcements and updated these to reduce weight and enhance durability. Furthermore, as for Killer 2019, the top and bottom battens were changed to a lighter material without compromising the stability in the sail.

Kult (All-terrain)The Kult was not changed for 2019 because we already have a great performance in this Freeride sail and believe that if it ain't broken, we don't need to fix it. The looks were updated, specifically on the batten pockets.

Koyote (No-cam Freerace) No changes were made to the Koyote, our pure Freeride sail. Awesome performance, great handling, speed and stability. Koyote is a great sail and we decided to not make any changes just for change's sake. The looks were updated, specifically on the batten pockets.

powersloshin
NSW, 1653 posts
4 Sep 2018 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

I like the idea of 5.2 Koncept with 4 cams, great step down from 5.8

morts
WA, 172 posts
4 Sep 2018 1:16PM
Thumbs Up

Will the 5.7 & 5.2 Koncept both rig on a 400 mast?

aussieboats
NSW, 342 posts
4 Sep 2018 4:25PM
Thumbs Up

4.7 379 159 370/17 4 Fixed
5.2 393 167 370/17 4 Fixed
5.7 419 176 400/19 4 Fixed
6.2 433 184 430/21 3 Fixed
6.6 446 192 430/21 3 Fixed
7.0 458 199 430/21 3 Fixed
7.8 473 206 460/25 3 Fixed
8.6 498 221 490/29 3 Fixed
koncept specks

morts
WA, 172 posts
4 Sep 2018 5:37PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the reply

Would have been great to be able to run a sail quiver of 7.0, 6.2, 5.7 & 5.2 with only 2 masts.

powersloshin
NSW, 1653 posts
4 Sep 2018 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
morts said..
Would have been great to be able to run a sail quiver of 7.0, 6.2, 5.7 & 5.2 with only 2 masts.

you can if you cut about 5 cm off the 400.

Haggar
QLD, 1664 posts
5 Sep 2018 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
aussieboats said..
4.7 379 159 370/17 4 Fixed
5.2 393 167 370/17 4 Fixed
5.7 419 176 400/19 4 Fixed
6.2 433 184 430/21 3 Fixed
6.6 446 192 430/21 3 Fixed
7.0 458 199 430/21 3 Fixed
7.8 473 206 460/25 3 Fixed
8.6 498 221 490/29 3 Fixed
koncept specks

Hey Mark, are you sure that the boom lengths are correct, they are much shorter then 2018 specs looks to be one size out ?

mr love
VIC, 2294 posts
6 Sep 2018 12:18PM
Thumbs Up

Should be.....we did an audit and previous years prints were not accurate.

Haggar
QLD, 1664 posts
6 Sep 2018 12:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mr love said..

thanks Martin, that makes me feel better as my 7.5 now looks correct !

powersloshin
NSW, 1653 posts
6 Sep 2018 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mr love said..

seems to be a recurring problem since about 2007....

Broken Fin
30 posts
9 Sep 2018 11:28AM
Thumbs Up

Using Koyote 6.6, Kult 5.8, 5.3 and 4.7
Love these sails for B&J in gusty choppy conditions. Only one problem with the Kult. There are no smaller sizes available than 4.7 !
Any chance that these sails will be made in 4.2 and 3.7?

Live in Norway and there are onshore conditions and windmade swell in 99.99% of my sailing time. Its often very gusty and a regular wave sail will not have enough low end grunt and will depower to fast in the lulls. I try to hang on to the 4.7 Kult also in 40+ knots conditions but are dreaming of some smaller sizes.

Am I the only one out here that doesnot have consistent wind and perfect dtl wave riding?

mr love
VIC, 2294 posts
9 Sep 2018 2:22PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Broken Fin, I` would recommend that you try the Killer. It,s an excellent bump and jump sail with good low end power and a really large adjustable range.

decrepit
WA, 11828 posts
9 Sep 2018 5:00PM
Thumbs Up

On paper the koncepts look great, I'm tempted by the 4.7 to the 6.2 so are there prices somewhere? The other thing that concerns me is the corroding metal zips in the previous versions. Are this year's back to plastic?

Broken Fin
30 posts
14 Sep 2018 1:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mr love said..
Hi Broken Fin, I` would recommend that you try the Killer. It,s an excellent bump and jump sail with good low end power and a really large adjustable range.

Can I interpret this into that a Kult in 4.2 and 3.7 would be designed very much like a Killer ?

mr love
VIC, 2294 posts
14 Sep 2018 11:19AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Broken Fin,
Your question is a bit academic as at this point we don't have plans to do a smaller Kult.
I am suggesting Killer from my experience with and knowledge of the sail and believe it will fulfill the role you describe very well indeed.
It has quite a bit of built in shape both vertical and horizontal seam shaping , it is not a pure DTL Wave sail, much more versatile. It also has a reasonable amount of luff round that along with it,s 5 batten layout give it a very controllable top end.
I personally use this sail as my Port Phillip Bay Bump and jump from 3.7 up to 5.7 and love its lightness, versatility and tuning range. It,s also pretty fast.
I think it would be a good choice for you.

And off subject I was just shown a very favorable test of Koncept by Windsurf mag......

Waiting4wind
NSW, 1871 posts
14 Sep 2018 5:59PM
Thumbs Up

Great colours!

Broken Fin
30 posts
16 Sep 2018 2:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mr love said..
Hi Broken Fin,
Your question is a bit academic as at this point we don't have plans to do a smaller Kult.
I am suggesting Killer from my experience with and knowledge of the sail and believe it will fulfill the role you describe very well indeed.
It has quite a bit of built in shape both vertical and horizontal seam shaping , it is not a pure DTL Wave sail, much more versatile. It also has a reasonable amount of luff round that along with it,s 5 batten layout give it a very controllable top end.
I personally use this sail as my Port Phillip Bay Bump and jump from 3.7 up to 5.7 and love its lightness, versatility and tuning range. It,s also pretty fast.

And off subject I was just shown a very favorable test of Koncept by Windsurf mag......

Now that was really a coincidence. A Concept 6.6 just popped up in my quiver Will be fun to try.
I will give the Killers some serious thought.

John340
QLD, 3045 posts
16 Sep 2018 7:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mr love said..
Hi Broken Fin,

Martin, do you have a link to the test?

mr love
VIC, 2294 posts
16 Sep 2018 8:50AM
Thumbs Up

Hi John.....I cant publish it...sorry, might have to buy the mag!!!

I can tell you it was a very good test...... they said it was exactly what a Slalom sail should be.....no unwanted surprises , great handling and especially praised its top end and that It flattered riders especially in rough conditions. And high praise for the aesthetic which is gratifying as well.

Broken Fin
30 posts
1 Oct 2018 2:10AM
Thumbs Up

Did as told and bought a Killer 4.2
Tried it in rough conditions this weekend.
The sail was as good as they get.
Rating 5/5
Very impressed...

mr love
VIC, 2294 posts
1 Oct 2018 9:35AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Broken Fin said..
Did as told and bought a Killer 4.2
Tried it in rough conditions this weekend.
The sail was as good as they get.
Rating 5/5
Very impressed...

Great, glad I pointed you in the right direction. I sold one of mine to a local sailor a few years ago who had been using another brand for years. He immeadiatly started chasing me up to see if I wanted to sell some other sizes to him, loves them.

GazMan
WA, 835 posts
1 Oct 2018 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Martin,

Kult vs Killer (x-ply) in sizes 4.7-5.3

How would same sizes compare for wind range, speed and control in bump n jump conditions? Not much in it?

mr love
VIC, 2294 posts
2 Oct 2018 8:49AM
Thumbs Up

Yep, not huge but noticeable. Kult has glass tube in battens 3 & 4 and more overall luff round. It also does not have the Dacron in the luff panel and the materials are stiffer. So it has better top end, a slightly crisper feel and more stable. That said the Killer has a really good top end if you give it more downhaul than you would for wave sailing. I am a very lazy sailor and hate changing sails so have explored the top end with downhaul, if you don't mind it being a bit flappy in the head you can really push the top end.
so if you are going to be using it in waves or seriously jumping and looping or attempting loops I would go Killer because of the rod battens being more durable. If you are just blasting and jumping Kult will give you more top end an be a little faster but the glass tubes make it vulnerable in waves or if you are going to be having big wipeouts.

GazMan
WA, 835 posts
2 Oct 2018 8:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mr love said..
Yep, not huge but noticeable. Kult has glass tube in battens 3 & 4 and more overall luff round. It also does not have the Dacron in the luff panel and the materials are stiffer. So it has better top end, a slightly crisper feel and more stable. That said the Killer has a really good top end if you give it more downhaul than you would for wave sailing. I am a very lazy sailor and hate changing sails so have explored the top end with downhaul, if you don't mind it being a bit flappy in the head you can really push the top end.
so if you are going to be using it in waves or seriously jumping and looping or attempting loops I would go Killer because of the rod battens being more durable. If you are just blasting and jumping Kult will give you more top end an be a little faster but the glass tubes make it vulnerable in waves or if you are going to be having big wipeouts.

Thanks Martin. Would only be used for rough water blasting/jumping and not wave use. Full X-ply in red/yellow Killer is main reason for choosing Killer over Kult, and still wishing for HD X-ply Koyote for WA conditions!

Broken Fin
30 posts
4 Oct 2018 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
GazMan said..

mr love said..

Thanks Martin. Would only be used for rough water blasting/jumping and not wave use. Full X-ply in red/yellow Killer is main reason for choosing Killer over Kult, and still wishing for HD X-ply Koyote for WA conditions!

I will vote for the x-ply version of the Koyote. Bought a years production of 3M tape to keep the monofilm on my 2014 6.6 together.

Broken Fin
30 posts
4 Oct 2018 12:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mr love said..

Will keep working on this. Probably a 4.7 Killer on its way in to overlap the Kult 4.7 in the breaks. I do definetly get my part of the wipeouts as a novice wave sailor.

sailquik
VIC, 6068 posts
4 Oct 2018 9:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
morts said..
Thanks for the reply

Hi Morts,
I believe there is a typo error in these specs for the 2019 5.7m Koncept. I believe the luff length should be, or very close to, 407, and I would not be at all surprised if the 2019 5.7m Koncept would not work well for a light to medium weight sailor on the 370 RDM mast with 37cm base extension. I have not tried it though......

If you want to run just two masts with the sails you list, you may find it satisfactory to run just the 370 and 430's. However, bear in mind that personally, I like the Koncept 7.0m much more on an SDM 430, and the 6.2m on an RDM 430.

I guess it comes down to the last drop of performance, or some compromise to save having extra masts.

Me, I like to be able to rig adjoining sizes on seperate masts so I can have them rigged and ready, rather than having to de-rig to go up or down a size.

mr love
VIC, 2294 posts
21 Oct 2018 9:05AM
Thumbs Up

Koncept Speed 2019

mr love
VIC, 2294 posts
21 Oct 2018 10:42AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..

morts said..
Thanks for the reply

Hi Morts,
I believe there is a typo error in these specs for the 2019 5.7m Koncept. I believe the luff length should be, or very close to, 407, and I would not be at all surprised if the 2019 5.7m Koncept would not work well for a light to medium weight sailor on the 370 RDM mast with 37cm base extension. I have not tried it though......

If you want to run just two masts with the sails you list, you may find it satisfactory to run just the 370 and 430's. However, bear in mind that personally, I like the Koncept 7.0m much more on an SDM 430, and the 6.2m on an RDM 430.

I guess it comes down to the last drop of performance, or some compromise to save having extra masts.

Me, I like to be able to rig adjoining sizes on seperate masts so I can have them rigged and ready, rather than having to de-rig to go up or down a size.

Not a typo...a Mr Love !@#$%^ up.

choco
SA, 3995 posts
21 Oct 2018 12:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mr love said..
Koncept Speed 2019

Looks great nice shape

morts
WA, 172 posts
21 Oct 2018 11:52AM
Thumbs Up

More sail area in the foot around the bottom batten or is it a bit of an optical illusion?

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"First look at the 2019 ka Sails" started by aussieboats