Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Ezzy "WAVE" Sail - Brand New for 2020

Created by bigdaz > 9 months ago, 21 Sep 2019
bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
21 Sep 2019 9:25AM
Thumbs Up

Well it looks like there is a brand new sail in the Ezzy range. Aptly named the "Wave" it looks like it will be replacing the much loved Elites. They are up to 200 grams lighter than the Elite and they feel it is a big step forward in design and development - I'm looking forward to hearing more about it. More details to follow as they come to hand, but here are a few pics to get excited about!!!

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
21 Sep 2019 9:52AM
Thumbs Up

Didn't have to wait long, this just popped up on my Facebook feed

Ezzy UK
September 19 at 12:49 AM ?

David Ezzy Says: A new sail is born: The Ezzy Wave.

My goal with the Ezzy Wave was to combine the power and stability of our Zeta, with the lightness and handling of our Elite.

Getting the Ezzy Wave right was a challenge. It had to satisfy both my son Graham's need for power in European on-shore conditions and 8x world champion Kevin Pritchard, who demands lightness and maneuverability for side-off wave riding.

The Ezzy Wave is built to my quality standards while coming in about 200 grams lighter, per sail, than the Elite. Weight reductions came in a number of areas. I replaced the vinyl window with Spectra-reinforced X-ply, and the clew design is lighter, which in addition to saving overall weight, reduces the swing weight. For comparison, the new 4.7 is now the same weight as last year's Elite 4.2, making the Ezzy Wave one of the lightest wave sails in the world. As with all of our sails, the Ezzy Wave is rigged and calibrated with a load cell, then meticulously checked over in my factory.The Ezzy Wave comes highly recommended.- David Ezzy

robbo1111
NSW, 620 posts
21 Sep 2019 4:22PM
Thumbs Up

I'm surprised the pvc window is gone Darren, he could have saved the 200 grams by getting rid of that old school mast foot padding. It's the only thing I don't like about the Ezzy sails.

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
21 Sep 2019 5:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
robbo1111 said..
I'm surprised the pvc window is gone Darren, he could have saved the 200 grams by getting rid of that old school mast foot padding. It's the only thing I don't like about the Ezzy sails.

Yeah, the vinyl window has been a long term staple of the Ezzy sails. He must really like the way the new windows perform to make that change. I'm looking forward to feeling the difference first hand!! I agree, the mast foot padding could also use some updating, but it doesn't really bother me - I do like how it makes sleeving the mast really easy!!! Making it non absorbant would make it much lighter on the water though.

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
24 Sep 2019 5:39PM
Thumbs Up

A couple of action shots

Al1
49 posts
24 Sep 2019 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

The end of the vinyl window is a real change of paradigm for Ezzy.

I wish they do keep at least one wavesail with the legacy vinyl window in the 2020 catalog.

LeeD
3939 posts
25 Sep 2019 1:06AM
Thumbs Up

I have a 2007 Severne Blade with that black strand laminate for the window area that has over 170 days on it and the window area is holding up well.
That material is ok

Al1
49 posts
26 Sep 2019 8:16AM
Thumbs Up

I'm more concerned about the window losing its clarity after multiple rigging and derigging on concrete.
I wish I could rig on grass but unfortunately I don't have that option where I live.

LeeD
3939 posts
26 Sep 2019 9:59AM
Thumbs Up

Concrete, lay a tarp down.

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
26 Sep 2019 1:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LeeD said..
Concrete, lay a tarp down.

Or even just a towel, the window is not a very big area to protect if that's what you are worried about.

LeeD
3939 posts
26 Sep 2019 11:35AM
Thumbs Up

I'd worry more about the perimeter of the sail, the leech, batten reinforcement, and the head.

MagicRide
688 posts
29 Sep 2019 2:12AM
Thumbs Up

I like it!! Wonder if it's available in a 6.0 or 5.8?

Jeroensurf
866 posts
29 Sep 2019 4:42AM
Thumbs Up

Biggest size of the wave is 5.8I got one :)

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
29 Sep 2019 6:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MagicRide said..
I like it!! Wonder if it's available in a 6.0 or 5.8?

I saw someone had posted the following sizes on Facebook- not sure how accurate the info is, but this is what they said:
3.0, 3.4, 3.7, 4.0, 4.2, 4.5, 4.7, 5.0, 5.2, 5.5, 5.8

Nerdburger
NSW, 286 posts
29 Sep 2019 7:56PM
Thumbs Up

Jeronsurf, what's the specs of the wave 5.8 (430 mast or 400/430 like the elite for the 5.7)?
How do you rate the Ezzy wave?, really a mix of the elite and zeta ?

Jeroensurf
866 posts
30 Sep 2019 12:05PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Nerdburger, I sailed the last 14y with Hotsails and tried the wave only once on my foil kit so I can,t really compare it with anything else. Specs: a whole 430 mast. I rigged it on a 430 Reptile Reverse that I allready got and looks good.

I sailed 3 days in a row with my 4.7+4.1 Taka 2020 and they are freaking awesome.

Nerdburger
NSW, 286 posts
1 Oct 2019 1:50AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the specs and pics !, they certainly look good ??

Nerdburger
NSW, 286 posts
1 Oct 2019 1:50AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the specs and pics !, they certainly look good ??

gorgesailor
598 posts
1 Oct 2019 1:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jeroensurf said..
Hi Nerdburger, I sailed the last 14y with Hotsails and tried the wave only once on my foil kit so I can,t really compare it with anything else. Specs: a whole 430 mast. I rigged it on a 430 Reptile Reverse that I allready got and looks good.

I sailed 3 days in a row with my 4.7+4.1 Taka 2020 and they are freaking awesome.

Looks like an old Panther to me.... so much pre-shape

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
2 Oct 2019 6:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jeroensurf said..

Looks sick!!! Do u know what size the Wave changes from a 4 baton to a 5 baton sail???

Jeroensurf
866 posts
4 Oct 2019 5:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
gorgesailor said..

Select to expand quote

Looks like an old Panther to me.... so much pre-shape

Yes it looks like that, but feels a lot lighter and less grunty while going forward.I never liked the Panthers and the Elite till 2019 because imo they pull hard but didnt have the drive forward. A bit like an American car: big motors, lots of horsepower and no efficiency The 2019 Elite 6.1 wasn't brilliant to me but felt a lot better as the previous Ezzy,s, I sailed the wave twice and imo it is a serious move forward.It is still a bit cambered in feel but way lighter and get instant momentum. It really moved up from a American 4WD to an Audi feel. Way more efficient.@Nerdburger: I have no clue.I really wanted the Taka and build my quiver around that so wasn't really paying attention to sizes the Taka and Wave double. When i,m back I can as at the shop but as they are already sold in Europe the specs shouldnt be "secret" so probably Ezzy can tell you as well.Right now i,m on holiday to Wales in the UK and sailed the Taka 4.7 in side off headhigh. I should have rig a 5.3 because the wind wasn't s strong as it supposed to be/looked like earlier but stayed on the 4.7 being to lazy to walk back and i was really impressed how it sails in the full low end trim. It wasnt really jerking in the gusts on the outside and stayed light in the hand on a wave. So far i,m really happy with them.
In case somebody wonders: I just bought them. I got a nice discount, but I guess that is normal when you buy a 5 sails and masts +a carbon boom.And to those eyeballing at the board: it is a 104l flextail custom from Witchcraft.

Nerdburger
NSW, 286 posts
4 Oct 2019 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

Wow board looks awesome/interesting, more pics if you have them ?
thanks for the feed back ??

Jeroensurf
866 posts
5 Oct 2019 5:23AM
Thumbs Up

It is a Witchcraft custom based on the V4 : https://witchcraft.nu/Besides being a pretty epic tri fin with lots of things going on in the shape and accepting US+ Slotbox find its most stunning part is the flextail. witchcraft.nu/boards/flex-tail/The flextail allows you to have a more or less flat rocker while getting up to plane, filter a bit the chop out of it when going and getting heaps of tailrocker when stomping on the backfoot.The board is from 2017 but I haven't found one that suits me better.The one at the bottom is my old 96l flextail from 2012. A pall of me still sails it and really likes it.

Nerdburger
NSW, 286 posts
6 Oct 2019 1:56AM
Thumbs Up

Sensational looking boards, so surprised at the amount of flex in that tail !

Found the specs off a European retailer, not from Ezzy site directly but the 5.8m is 5 battens, rest is 4.?

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
8 Oct 2019 12:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Found the specs off a European retailer, not from Ezzy site directly but the 5.8m is 5 battens, rest is 4.?

Perfect, Cheers
Looking forward to seeing the weights listed as well when they turn up on the Ezzy website.

asturcon
35 posts
18 Oct 2019 11:59PM
Thumbs Up

Is the new Ezzy Wave and Taka the only wavesails 2020 or will we have the Zeta too?
John

Gestalt
QLD, 14119 posts
19 Oct 2019 7:19AM
Thumbs Up

keen to know the weights if anyone has that info.

Mastbender
1972 posts
19 Oct 2019 7:25AM
Thumbs Up

Jeroensurf, have you ever tried smaller side fins, that looks to me like an awful lot of fin area?
Other than that it's a good looking board.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7916 posts
19 Oct 2019 4:14PM
Thumbs Up

Jeroensurf said..
It is a Witchcraft custom based on the V4 : https://witchcraft.nu/Besides being a pretty epic tri fin with lots of things going on in the shape and accepting US+ Slotbox find its most stunning part is the flextail. witchcraft.nu/boards/flex-tail/The flextail allows you to have a more or less flat rocker while getting up to plane, filter a bit the chop out of it when going and getting heaps of tailrocker when stomping on the backfoot.The board is from 2017 but I haven't found one that suits me better.The one at the bottom is my old 96l flextail from 2012. A pall of me still sails it and really likes it.

That tail is amazing! Love the graphics.

Jeroensurf
866 posts
24 Oct 2019 2:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mastbender said..
Jeroensurf, have you ever tried smaller side fins, that looks to me like an awful lot of fin area?
Other than that it's a good looking board.

Sorry, missed the question.Yep tried a lot of different configurations but prever the 14.5 fronts and 15.5 centre in good conditions and a 17cm K4 Stubby when its side on.The combo has lot of drive and as we have often slow onshore gutless waves this works fine. 3 more or less equally sized fins feels for me more natural and more maneuverable as big centre with small fronts.
Last week I sailed the Wave 3.7 for the first time.
Power is a bit like the Taka, slightly more stable but handling still very good.When the wind got stronger I played a bit with the DH but found the effect not as big as with some other sails I sailed. OH does a lot more.Like with all Ezy,s so far they plane as early as 0,3 bigger Hot KS3 but the KS3 has a significant better high end, so basically they have the same range but in a slightly different wind range. @Gestalt I can weight the sails I got but by just feeling, the weight of the Ezzy,s is around the same as with my HOT KS3 sails. A KS-Spider is significant lighter.
Although the rig feels very nice and balanced you can,t ignore the weight of the masts if you are a weight weenie.
I know they have a reputation of being one of the strongest on the market, but damn they are HEAVY compared to the Ultra,s I used to sail in my Hots.

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
26 Oct 2019 11:22PM
Thumbs Up

The "Ezzy Wave" is up on their website now with all the details and weights etc...
www.ezzy.com/ezzy-wave/

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Ezzy "WAVE" Sail - Brand New for 2020" started by bigdaz