Forums > Windsurfing   New South Wales

NSW Wind Series 2022 - 2023

Created by GPSWindsurfing > 9 months ago, 17 Sep 2022
GPSWindsurfing
87 posts
17 Sep 2022 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

It's that time of the year again and we are please to announce the 2022 - 2023 NSW Wind Series which will provide GPS and Slalom racing for Windsurfers on Fin and Foil as well as Windwing's.

The Series will continue in a similar format to previous years with a targeted 50:50 split between freerace GPS and Slalom fleet racing with the emphasis being to maximising time on the water and minimise waiting around.

Previous years have been a hoot with loads of km's being logged, PB's being broken and some competitive racing across the entire fleet. The following shows the diversity of skills and equipment used at previous events, why wouldn't you come!

On the social side, it's always great to get away for the weekends with like minded people and talk about our great sports over a few beers and sail some different waterways across NSW.We look forward to seeing as many people as possible come to events this year be it sailing on a fin, foil or a Wingfoil.

The formalities of the Series are being finalised and we will have Sailing Instructions, Notice of Race and Registration up very latter this week.In the mean time please, if not already done book accommodation for both Port Stephens / Soldiers Point and Myall Lakes events as we know there is limited accommodation available.

www.nrmaparksandresorts.com.au/myall-shores/

Alternative location Bulahdelah with caravan park and hotel/motel options which is 15 minutes drive alternatively Hawkes Nest which would involve small daily ferry crossing

www.big4.com.au/caravan-parks/nsw/north-coast/river-myall-holiday-resort

Rumor has it we may see some Cane Toads at Myall Lakes for the States which would be great for some interstate rivalry and bolster the fleet.

Keep an eye on this tread for when registrations open which will be via www.windsurfingnsw.com.au

berowne
NSW, 1210 posts
1 Oct 2022 9:19AM
Thumbs Up

While we might not be exactly at the PWA level here in NSW, this is what can be on offer depending on the conditions...

byronmc
NSW, 500 posts
9 Oct 2022 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

Looking forward to another great season.

berowne
NSW, 1210 posts
11 Oct 2022 1:49PM
Thumbs Up

Where are people staying at soldiers point??

jamesf
NSW, 988 posts
13 Oct 2022 5:32PM
Thumbs Up

Online entry for the NSW Wind Series is now open on our website!
marmongpointsc.square.site/

Pre-register for the whole series ($190) and save $10. Or you can enter individual events as the season progresses.

The first event kicks off in a bit over a week at Soldiers Point (George Reserve - 173 Soldiers Point Rd, Salamander Bay NSW 2317)
goo.gl/maps/rcihDd3MXUr7Vv7m6 - long term forecast looking great!

byronmc
NSW, 500 posts
20 Oct 2022 12:08PM
Thumbs Up

Game on looking forward to catching up with everyone at a new location up at Nelson Bay.

berowne
NSW, 1210 posts
20 Oct 2022 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

Nelson Bay is an AWESOME place to sail even on a light wind day!

If you haven't booked, I would thouroughly recommend it!

Dezza
NSW, 919 posts
20 Oct 2022 6:30PM
Thumbs Up

Did you foil up there from Jervis Bay

GPSWindsurfing
87 posts
20 Oct 2022 5:15PM
Thumbs Up

Weekend Checklist
1. Wind = NE 15 - 20knts for both Saturday and Sunday
2. Water = Plenty of wide open bay to speed across
3. Sky = Partly cloudy with the occasional passing shower
1 + 2 +3 = Great weekend on the water.
George Reserve, Soldiers Point Rd, Salamander Bay
goo.gl/maps/zyNteru5jdznd1XH6
Times
Rego @ 10:00am
Briefing @ 11:00am
First Start @ 12:00pm
Format
12:00pm - GPS Session 1 (30 minutes) 2 categories / results
1:00pm - GPS Session 2 (30 minutes) 2 categories / results
2:30pm - Slalom fleet racing x 3 minimum / 5 maximum
This in not the PWA, its a fun weekend away with some friendly rivalry across the entire fleet.
Social
Saturday night dinner location to be determined but likely contender Soldiers Point Bowling Club, to relive the days events

We have a rescue boat and we have a very generous race crew volunteering to make this a great event.

So get with the program and come along for a fantastic weekend away, sailing somewhere different in quality conditions, give racing a go for the first time, meet some new people, reacquaint with other,
or
I guess you could stay at home and do the the **** as last weekend or the one before.

Life's short people! and events like this might not be around for ever.

See everyone on Saturday, or even Friday as few are said to be sailing in the afternoon.

mick13B
6 posts
21 Oct 2022 11:57AM
Thumbs Up

question about this weekend.. does any of the slalom count towards the gps rounds? thanks

berowne
NSW, 1210 posts
21 Oct 2022 3:07PM
Thumbs Up

No they are typically seperate scores.

berowne
NSW, 1210 posts
21 Oct 2022 3:21PM
Thumbs Up

berowne
NSW, 1210 posts
21 Oct 2022 3:35PM
Thumbs Up

Any foil or fin is welcome. No mater how new or old!

byronmc
NSW, 500 posts
22 Oct 2022 7:39AM
Thumbs Up

For the season both GPS and slalom combine results.
for round 3 at Myal lakes the same.
But for state slalom at Myal slalom results will count towards the state titles only.

byronmc
NSW, 500 posts
22 Oct 2022 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

20 knots now here it's windyAnd not too late

berowne
NSW, 1210 posts
23 Oct 2022 8:51AM
Thumbs Up

The day started the day with light winds so most of us riggeed 8m sails and foils from 1000+ down to 620 for me (smallest front wing). Just as the half hour GPS challenge started we had a lull of 5kts but I went out anyway and used the swell to help me up in a gust.

During the next 30min the wind built to a comfortable 15kts... and beyond with most on the foil riders glad to come back to the beach!

I was riding: F4 620cm2 front wing, 100cm fuselage and 190 tail wing. Phantom IRIS 8.0 Foil Sail and FMX SLR 91cm Hyperion. With the wind building the call was made to run a Fig8 Slalom. Muz helped set a VERY LONG NM course with the first gybe mark in some relatively flat water. For Slalom I was riding: F4 420cm2 front wing, 100cm fuselage and 190 tail wing. Down to a Patrik 6.2m SF Slalom (Fin) & Foil Sail and same FMX SLR 91cm Hyperion

RACE 1
Just as Race 1 start sequence got to 1min there was a lull catching a few out. Byron made it to the line a few seconds late on his medium board and 7.8m sail, and I was about 14s late managing to get the small 420 wing flying with just a 6.2m sail, closely followed by Nick on his 8m sail and small slalom board. Pushing my foil through the half metre swell I pushed on the upwind leg to the first mark, taking a second or two away from Byron's lead, but he gybed well and powered back towards the slightly downwind mark with good speed. I had to keep pushing as Nick was hot on my heels. No real change for the next two gybes, Byron's lead too great by now and I settled for 2nd with the goal of just getting to the end. Nick told me later that he could close up to me on the downwind gusts, but then in the lulls he would slip back again. I think all my top speeds came from this race!

RACE 2
The wind kept building as we started race 2. I crossed the start cm in front of Russel with Byron, Muz, Ric and the rest further behind. I started well, but Byron had good speed and got a few metres ahead of me just as a mega-yacht struggled with the breeze, it's spinaker flying on two ropes dragging the boat to 60 degree lean angle at one point. They stowed the spinaker and tacked right at us! Byron and I took evasive action dipping below the boat which was on Starboard and seemingly heading for their own downwind mark (race?). The wind shadow behind the boat nearly taking us both out! After that I lost my rytheme and the rising swell - now upto a metre! - took me out. 3x crashes and almost everyone passed me.

RACE 3
I should have changed down but didn't have anything rigged on the bearch but Byron did so he grabbed 6.8m sail and 90L small board - his favourite! I started well (slow I was approaching early) with Byron late but at full speed (30+ kts?). The big swell was taking all my attention and I was slow! I made the mark in 3rd but fell on gybe exit (too slow and sunk the new windward rail). I blocked Ric's wind while I waterstarted as he gybed around me but he got away clear. I sailed a safer course rather than straight to the line, and ended the race 5th/last in style!

In retrospect, I could handle the wind strength with the foil/sail I had... but not the 1m swell. Just too much for me, especially with fatigue setting in. FIN is definaltely easier in challenging conditions! Still, super happy to get 2nd place in Race 1 on foil :)

Sorry but the GoPro 360 had a smeared lens!

berowne
NSW, 1210 posts
23 Oct 2022 8:58AM
Thumbs Up

berowne
NSW, 1210 posts
23 Oct 2022 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

Dezza
NSW, 919 posts
24 Oct 2022 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks to all for a great weekend of sailing and racing, particularly those who gave their time to bring the boat up, set the courses, and run the event, good challenges for everyone across the whole fleet

GPSWindsurfing
87 posts
2 Nov 2022 5:14PM
Thumbs Up

Belated Results guy's

Successful round one with 10 races being conducted (2 drops allowed) and some very close racing across the entire fleet.

Looking forward to Round 2 on Lake Macquaire, 12th or 13th November, hopefully a great NE from Coal Point, like past years.

jamesf
NSW, 988 posts
9 Nov 2022 6:32PM
Thumbs Up

It looks like this perfect run of nor-easters will continue through to the weekend. If you haven't already registered for the whole series, please sign up for this Saturday's event at Coal Point for only $25 at marmongpointsc.square.site/#giNmHd

jamesf
NSW, 988 posts
10 Nov 2022 10:48AM
Thumbs Up

For anyone who hasn't been to Coal Point before, here is the link to the Google Maps location:
goo.gl/maps/qr9fXVRRWZLUGMw97

See you there!

Ben 555
NSW, 453 posts
10 Nov 2022 11:03AM
Thumbs Up

James F - Thats an old one of Hugh and I (Severne) and makes me feel younger !!!!

GPSWindsurfing
87 posts
11 Nov 2022 7:14AM
Thumbs Up

After prolonged and detailed investigation the committee has elected to stick with Saturday for this weekends racing, however we have changed the location to Valentine

goo.gl/maps/b3R7byGn8Xbd6DK5A

This is on the basis of a very mixed forecast for both days

Saturday presents an opportunity for S - SE breeze of 10 - 14knts and clear skies, yes it is light but hopefully we can get some great racing and sailing in.

Valentine has the advantages of
1. Topographical squeeze of breeze between both shorelines
2. Clear of yacht racing on Belmont bay
3. Less potential of weed
4. Parking and amenities
5. Opportunity to sail to south if wind flicks further east.

Sunday whilst looking like more wind it presented the risk of thunderstorm and rain from 3pm

AUS4
NSW, 1249 posts
12 Nov 2022 5:56AM
Thumbs Up

Reschedule please.

GPSWindsurfing
87 posts
12 Nov 2022 4:36AM
Thumbs Up

Due to the changing / uncertain forecast, we have made the decision to cancel the Fin Division of racing.

Foiling and Open Divisions will still go ahead (fingers crossed)

Also due to the change in wind direction we are relocating to "The Slips" off The Shores Way Belmont. This will provide the best chance of capturing as much E-NE breeze as possible.

goo.gl/maps/9RNAZWV4EWsZ1Da97

berowne
NSW, 1210 posts
13 Nov 2022 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

How was it? got windy in Sydney!

AUS4
NSW, 1249 posts
13 Nov 2022 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
berowne said..

You must have been in another Sydney.

Boston!
NSW, 248 posts
13 Nov 2022 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

We squeezed in one half hour GPS when the wind was in the 8-10kt range. It later dropped to 6-8kts where we called it a day around 330pm. Unlucky, considering the latest wind conditions, but we at least got on the water. Looking forward to Myall.

byronmc
NSW, 500 posts
13 Nov 2022 7:52PM
Thumbs Up

Glad we chose Saturday as Sunday had no wind at all raining and thunderstorms as predicted.

berowne
NSW, 1210 posts
14 Nov 2022 7:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AUS4 said..

berowne said..

You must have been in another Sydney.

SGSC had 8-15 knots.

m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0ZvUhEySbeya7U9nCQ6CeaH4RnQh3AQjwrcgbGXtin8dtne3ksYxRk6evNwMxuTKAl&id=100014628632277

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   New South Wales

"NSW Wind Series 2022 - 2023" started by GPSWindsurfing