Forums > Windsurfing General

1984 UFO windsurfer

Created by Imax1 > 9 months ago, 15 Jun 2019
Imax1
QLD, 4524 posts
15 Jun 2019 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

Does anyone remember or know of this board or have pics ?
It was my first windsurfer that my parents bought for me as a combined birthday , x, mas present . I was 16 , it was 1984. It was a big , heavy roto moulded thing with retractable CB and lots of strap options. It was well made , but not sure where it was made , bought it new from a shop in st Kilda , Vic. Came with a 6.2 NP sail if I can remember .
It was so awesome learning the basics on it . Planing , harness , and , getting air , breaking fins
Never seen one again .
I can't find anything on the nets , not one pic
Anyone have any info for nostalgic purposes ?

sailquik
VIC, 6068 posts
15 Jun 2019 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

That would have been a CRIT brand board (French). The importers had a shop in St Kilda road just up from St Kilda junction.

CRIT also made some well regarded D2 boards at the time. I'll have to dig though my files. I just might have some CRIT brochures....

They were also the North Sails Importers at the time.

Imax1
QLD, 4524 posts
15 Jun 2019 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

Yes North , not NP . It's coming back , it was white pink yellow and blue .

olskool
QLD, 2444 posts
15 Jun 2019 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

^^ pink you say??. Well that definately was 80s windsurfin.

Imax1
QLD, 4524 posts
15 Jun 2019 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

^^^
I did some snow skiing during that time.
Pink was tough back then , ok it was on the snow , but not on my bmx although I do remember a pink front sprocket . Oh and alloy handlebars .
OMG .....am I gay ?

NelsonFoils
190 posts
15 Jun 2019 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

Crit brochure...

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
16 Jun 2019 1:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Imax1 said..
It was my first windsurfer that my parents bought for me as a combined birthday , x, mas present . I was 16 , it was 1984. It was a big , heavy roto moulded thing with retractable CB and lots of strap options. It was well made , but not sure where it was made , bought it new from a shop in st Kilda , Vic. Came with a 6.2 NP sail if I can remember .
It was so awesome learning the basics on it . Planing , harness , and , getting air , breaking fins
Never seen one again .

I don't believe Surf Partner was associated with CRIT. Surf Partner made the UFO. Here is an advertisement from SailWind Quarterly in about 1984. Apologies as scanning these bound magazines is not easy. I saw a Surf Partner WET at Dutch Inn in around 1984. I seem to remember Surf Partner becoming part of Fanatic at some point but I might be wrong.

Imax1
QLD, 4524 posts
16 Jun 2019 5:26PM
Thumbs Up

Yes that's the board On mine the graphics were different , possibly a year before or after . The more I think about it , I'm leaning back towards a NP sail. I'm thinking I can remember the round NP rings . But I'm having difficulty remembering my name

greenleader
QLD, 5283 posts
16 Jun 2019 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RichardG said..

Imax1 said..
Never seen one again .

I don't believe Surf Partner was associated with CRIT. Surf Partner made the UFO. Here is an advertisement from SailWind Quarterly in about 1984. Apologies as scanning these bound magazines is not easy. I saw a Surf Partner WET at Dutch Inn in around 1984. I seem to remember Surf Partner becoming part of Fanatic at some point but I might be wrong.

Crit was imported by Madeleine Petit whose husband owned a lucrative French cosmetics import business, whereas Surf Partners was imported by Hans Mueller a crazy Dutchman who named his company "Cowabanga" before the teenage mutant turtles existed, he also liked to get drunk and go hunting dingos at Lake Cootharaba camping area with his .22 bolt action whilst making howling noises...........the eighties

sailquik
VIC, 6068 posts
16 Jun 2019 11:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
greenleader said..
Crit was imported by Madeleine Petit whose husband owned a lucrative French cosmetics import business, whereas Surf Partners was imported by Hans Mueller a crazy Dutchman who named his company "Cowabanga" before the teenage mutant turtles existed, he also liked to get drunk and go hunting dingos at Lake Cootharaba camping area with his .22 bolt action whilst making howling noises...........the eighties

Ahh, so do you know what the tie up was beween the St Kilda shop and Crit? Were they not importing direct?

Good to have solved the UFO identity as Surf Partner. Now that you have, I can remember that the St Kilda shop did also sell some other odd (to me) brands.

timudagse
1 posts
15 Apr 2020 11:43PM
Thumbs Up

In 1985 I bought my 1st pre-owned windsurf board, it was an U.F.O., in Germany. The previous holder was a buddy of mine and as far as I remember a friend of him sent it from Australia. The year after he moved down under anyway. So, here are my only photos of the board and the sail. The deck design was different from the brochure somebody uploaded. However, I still have 2 footstrap parts as you can see. Right, it came for me with a Neil Pryde Sail (size unknown).

Mobydisc
NSW, 9018 posts
17 Apr 2020 11:15PM
Thumbs Up

Nostalgia. Let's keep it it up though it is destructive.

The first board I had was a Ten Cate Fun Fan (I think)

it it was a pretty nice board with a pointy nose, a centreboard, pintail.

The Fun Fan was probably a better board than a few I bought afterwards.

BSN101
WA, 2244 posts
18 Apr 2020 12:07PM
Thumbs Up

Started on a Windrush Clubman the got a Lindsay Park 10 foot custom sent up from Perth. I was in Hedland.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"1984 UFO windsurfer" started by Imax1