Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

Inside of a SlingShot 105

Created by Gwarn > 9 months ago, 18 Oct 2019
Gwarn
202 posts
18 Oct 2019 8:54PM
Thumbs Up

A couple of pictures of the old box.

After cutting it out I found strips of soft packing like foam most likely for expansion or for ????

You can see were they sandwich some carbon between the foam to make a stringer.

Old box cut in half.

Side view of box cut in half you can see the wood shims a a whole lot of filler.

This box was very heavy I see why the green boards where so heavy.

I removed it to install a ture deep tuttle box so I can use other foils.

I'll add more pictures as I go...

CAN17
575 posts
18 Oct 2019 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

Cool, I've never seen the inside construction of DT box. What kind of material is this, carbon and PVC? Just looks interesting how there is two tones of colors looking at the bolt holes. I've looked down my jp 135(with a light) and it looks like its all black(carbon?).

CAN17
575 posts
18 Oct 2019 9:28PM
Thumbs Up

Gwarn, I remember your deck around the straps was getting soft. Are you going to do any repairs there too. Keep the updates coming and good luck!

segler
WA, 1597 posts
18 Oct 2019 11:32PM
Thumbs Up

These pictures prove what people have been saying about Slingshot tuttle boxes: they are regular tuttle, not deep tuttle. The low height of the box in these pictures will not completely fit any of my deep tuttle foils or fins.

WhiteofHeart
762 posts
19 Oct 2019 1:58AM
Thumbs Up

They are what some would call "chinook" tuttle, which is somewhere in the middle of deep and regular tuttle. The depth for a "real" deep tuttle hasnt been set because most of those boxes (in the not foil ready time) didnt have a roof but just ended on the deck.

Icerider73
10 posts
19 Oct 2019 2:44AM
Thumbs Up

When People ask me about different boxes i just call them
Tuttle, medium and deeptuttlebox
Some original boxes are very well
buillt and will hold for foiling but you dont really know until you cut it out the board.
Ive noticed the heavy riders also add a lots more force to the box

Te Hau
479 posts
19 Oct 2019 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

Officially, Deep Tuttle is 67.48mm on the longer face of the box.
An F4 Pryde foil bottoms out in it and leaves 2.5mm exposed.

Te Hau
479 posts
19 Oct 2019 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

PS, if you're making a fin box, I'm not sure that plywood is the go. I use Formica (bench top laminate) it's stiff, light and thin and laminated between layers of carbon there's no way the box sides are blowing out.

Gwarn
202 posts
30 Dec 2019 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

Update on the 105

New deep tuttle.

Removed the cracked 1/8 pvc deck replaced with 1/2 divinell (h80) reglassed area.

Removed the paint and putty. At least 2 pounds

Hot coated it with acrylic sealer for a lite sanded look

CAN17
575 posts
31 Dec 2019 8:01AM
Thumbs Up

Wow looks great!
Is it any lighter then the original version?

Looks like your about to make your own custom wizard 103 next

Gwarn
202 posts
31 Dec 2019 10:11PM
Thumbs Up

It is definitely lighter I didn't weight it and yes there are some new boards in my future

Paducah
2451 posts
31 Dec 2019 10:28PM
Thumbs Up

I missed this thread originally - sorry, late to the party. Having that much bog to hold the box in - is that normal from either a weight or strength perspective?

Love your work - the results of getting the paint off might lead to a cottage industry of refinishing older SS boards. They were blowing them out in the States last year cheap.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"Inside of a SlingShot 105" started by Gwarn