azymuth
WA, 1962 posts
4 Apr 2020 10:59PM
Thumbs Up

Bonus superfun session in sombre times.

Swan River Perth
E 12-20 knots

Ben, Darryl, Jonah, Paul, Simon, Thomas and Tim

The circled spot is where the action happened - shot with crappy Iphone 7 camera

CAN17
575 posts
4 Apr 2020 11:40PM
Thumbs Up

Wow impressive foiling! Keep the videos coming
I reckon double duck gybes are coming next from you guys.

CYVRWoody
133 posts
5 Apr 2020 12:41AM
Thumbs Up

Love the slow mov. How about a reverse duck (mast to outside of turn)?

KDog
300 posts
5 Apr 2020 2:13AM
Thumbs Up

Nice you guys will have those 360's dialed in no time!

sunsetsailboards
439 posts
5 Apr 2020 3:26AM
Thumbs Up

I windsurfed there once in November 2003... was all excited to be in Australia and was dying to windsurf. One day was pretty windy and I went down to Pelican Point to rent gear... hopefully a 4.7 and an 85l board. They said they have anything like that for rent, so I asked what was the smallest board and sail they had. It was a 5.8 and a Go Board. I rented it anyway

2keen
WA, 339 posts
5 Apr 2020 7:40AM
Thumbs Up

Super fun session
Thanks for filming JJ, wasn't the warmest day to spend time in chest deep water with a phone in your hands
Yeewww
Simon

Foilnut
172 posts
5 Apr 2020 8:27AM
Thumbs Up

That is awesome footage. Oh god, I so want to foil so much but we are in lock down pretty much in Ont, Canada. Session 2 hrs last weekend, Serious withdrawal now.

Whats the song?

jonah
WA, 20 posts
5 Apr 2020 10:40AM
Thumbs Up

Great work JJ. I can confirm he was shivering at the end of the filming...just aswell we sail in Australia and not Canada!!

remery
WA, 1881 posts
5 Apr 2020 12:04PM
Thumbs Up

I'd be happy with the worst of those gybes. :(

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
5 Apr 2020 5:01PM
Thumbs Up

Sooooo good.. Great vid.

Boston!
NSW, 248 posts
5 Apr 2020 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

Fantastic stuff! You guys are killing it!

tonyk
QLD, 522 posts
5 Apr 2020 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

Too cool 4 school
Enjoyed that vid.
Keep them coming

2keen
WA, 339 posts
5 Apr 2020 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

The circled spot is where the action happened - shot with crappy Iphone 7 camera

Ah JJ think you might have undersold yourself a little there. From your tracks it's obvious there was a little more action that day than just in the little circled area??

CoreAS
869 posts
6 Apr 2020 5:11AM
Thumbs Up

That's to me is what free foiling is all about...A perfect example

I Love doing a foil duck gybe, when you get it right is soooo sweet! I need to work on a full on foil 360, I seem to crank the sail
too hard and end up skipping the front wing out.

Great video of you guys having fun and ripping.

utcminusfour
625 posts
6 Apr 2020 8:36AM
Thumbs Up

Thank You!!!!!

Revoboardsports
WA, 66 posts
7 Apr 2020 12:17PM
Thumbs Up

Nice work JJ. It was very cold hanging around in the water compared to today and this week.
Nick Verhoef took some pics for us also. More to come.

Revoboardsports
WA, 66 posts
7 Apr 2020 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
7 Apr 2020 3:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Revoboardsports said..

Severne Alien board and foil ? Who's the lucky tester ?

Revoboardsports
WA, 66 posts
7 Apr 2020 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Simon, there are plenty of good shots of you getting the 360's in sequence. get in touch and I can send you them.

Sorry J.J. for hijacking the thread with pics of normal slapper board gybes. It was a quick grab and post.

CAN17
575 posts
7 Apr 2020 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

Simon, how did you get your back staps so close together. What would be the benefit to that, less upwind performance but easier to turn and carve?

2keen
WA, 339 posts
7 Apr 2020 9:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CAN17 said..
Simon, how did you get your back staps so close together. What would be the benefit to that, less upwind performance but easier to turn and carve?

CAN17,
I demo'd the Slingshot Freestyle 115 and loved the centre rear strap. That board felt super loose
Thought I would modify my Wizard 105 to get a similar feeling of carving in the straps over the centre line.
For downwind carving on swell, I find being over the centre line is an advantage. When sailing upwind I sail with my back foot out on the rail so don't miss having the straps in the original production position.

stehsegler
WA, 3450 posts
7 Apr 2020 10:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

seanhogan said..

Severne Alien board and foil ? Who's the lucky tester ?

Ben ... 105l Alien with Severne foil. Paul is on the other one.

They work quite well with a Slingshot foil too...

CAN17
575 posts
8 Apr 2020 12:53AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
2keen said..

CAN17 said..

CAN17,
I demo'd the Slingshot Freestyle 115 and loved the centre rear strap. That board felt super loose
Thought I would modify my Wizard 105 to get a similar feeling of carving in the straps over the centre line.
For downwind carving on swell, I find being over the centre line is an advantage. When sailing upwind I sail with my back foot out on the rail so don't miss having the straps in the original production position.

Looks good. Probably a lot cheaper then buying the freestyle too

azymuth
WA, 1962 posts
8 Apr 2020 9:43AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Revoboardsports said..
Sorry J.J. for hijacking the thread with pics of normal slapper board gybes. It was a quick grab and post.

All good Paul - thanks to you and Nick for the awesome high-res pix

Was fun filming Ben and Simon's 360 duel

Foilnut
172 posts
8 Apr 2020 11:05AM
Thumbs Up

2keen

Can you describe how you installed the new footstrap screw holes. I think that's great, Should work on a 125 as well. On swell my back foot is always out and in the center

sl55
128 posts
8 Apr 2020 11:49AM
Thumbs Up

Here is a couple of links to foot strap inserts installation:

boardlady.com/extrainserts1.htm

2keen
WA, 339 posts
8 Apr 2020 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

Foilnut

I installed new plugs as per Rob Rocks video, with a few exceptions.
The Slingshot deck pad was really tough to remove and destroyed in the removal process so I removed a neat square then just stuck a single new pad on once done
Didn't bother with the bent nail in the drill
Epoxeyd the plugs in let them set, sanded surface then glasses over ( looks like RR does it all at once )

I see the board lady sets her plugs in divinycell before setting them in the deck, maybe someone with experience can let us know if that's necessary.

Simon

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"Gybes & 360s (video)" started by azymuth