Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

Foil board: rs:convertible vs jp 135

Created by CAN17 > 9 months ago, 19 Oct 2018
CAN17
575 posts
19 Oct 2018 8:29AM
Thumbs Up

I do not own either one so showing no bais. Sorry if this has been talked about before.
But am curious to know which one would win in a race (same sail, sailor, conditions, etc). I know this is not really possible to know unless you try both yourself. I see Neil pryde promoting there new aluminum foil on a jp 135. Not a neil pryde board. I also know the rs convertible boards are way less $$, do they just suck compaired to jp's? The shapes are way different jp being boxyer and more light wind orreiented and the pryde being narrower and slalom looking. Like the RRD slalom boards.

CJW
NSW, 1717 posts
19 Oct 2018 11:45AM
Thumbs Up

135, it's wider at the rear so you have more leverage over the foil. The convertible is a compromised board as it has to be able to race slalom too so it's tucked in at the rear like a normal slalom board.

The pro construction of the 135 is quite expensive but they do an EPS version which is a lot cheaper.

Disclaimer; I own a 135 but I've sailed both. 135 isn't actually wide enough at the rear for full on racing anyway, I like many others I have modified mine so the rear straps are similar in width to the front....basically parallel sides like all the new 2019 foil race boards. I don't know why they didn't change it for 2019 to be honest.

Subsonic
WA, 2977 posts
19 Oct 2018 9:20AM
Thumbs Up

It's more a case of which is easier to use than which would win a race. I owned a 135 (EPS version) then i got a wider set of foils, so i got a bigger board, the leverage from a wider board makes a decent amount of difference.

ive not sailed an rsx convertable board so i can't comment too much, but the one with the wider tail of the two will be easier to control.

BSN101
WA, 2256 posts
19 Oct 2018 11:10AM
Thumbs Up

Check out the StarBoard foil 177 next to the UltraSonic 147 Foil (in this foil thread heading). I have a SBUS147 and i thought it was wide but next to the foil 177 board it looks normal! width at the rear foot is huge.

snides8
WA, 1730 posts
19 Oct 2018 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

Wind strength aprox 13kn and under prob not much diff.
i owned the rsx convertible board and foil... once it got to 15kn it was a handful to hold down the foil.
i traded the rsx in on a jp155 (similar tail width to 135)and instantly had more control above 15kn due to the extra tail width.

Mort67
TAS, 423 posts
19 Oct 2018 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

I can't comment on comparison, but have found the JP135 EPS a very "comfortable" board to learn on. The rounded rails are very forgiving and I've ridden out some fairly hairy situations. I bought the 135 EPS from Windsurf'n Snow (2018) as an NP Al foil package (still advertised on SB). The clincher was the expectation on SB that 2019 wings will retrofit to the 2018 mast and fuselage.

CAN17
575 posts
20 Oct 2018 5:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mort67 said..
I can't comment on comparison, but have found the JP135 EPS a very "comfortable" board to learn on. The rounded rails are very forgiving and I've ridden out some fairly hairy situations. I bought the 135 EPS from Windsurf'n Snow (2018) as an NP Al foil package (still advertised on SB). The clincher was the expectation on SB that 2019 wings will retrofit to the 2018 mast and fuselage.

Yep, Seems like the 135 is a very popular foil board.
Im am happy so far with using my formula board and have made a spacer which seems to help the fin box. I also have the 2018 NP aluminum foil. Im not sold the 2019 wings are worth it, but excited to see how future wings evolve and hope they still can plug into older fusledges.
I am in the process of making a larger front wing for it.

CAN17
575 posts
20 Oct 2018 5:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mort67 said..

Yep, Seems like the 135 is a very popular foil board.
Im am happy so far with using my formula board and have made a spacer which seems to help the fin box. I also have the 2018 NP aluminum foil. Im not sold the 2019 wings are worth it, but excited to see how future wings evolve and hope they still can plug into older fusledges.
I am in the process of making a larger front wing for it.

Maddlad
WA, 829 posts
20 Oct 2018 6:28AM
Thumbs Up

I've got the 2019 wings on the old NP AL fuselage and they're much better then the original wings.

Mort67
TAS, 423 posts
20 Oct 2018 1:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Maddlad said..
I've got the 2019 wings on the old NP AL fuselage and they're much better then the original wings.

By "better", do you mean faster, more stable, earlier lift?
My newbie comment on the 2018 Al is that I need a fair bit of speed to take off (although I'm sure technique is a big part).
PS: Anybody know who is stocking them as separate items?

sambucabarnes
14 posts
20 Oct 2018 3:25PM
Thumbs Up

Mort67 said..

Maddlad said..

My newbie comment on the 2018 Al is that I need a fair bit of speed to take off (although I'm sure technique is a big part).
PS: Anybody know who is stocking them as separate items

https://www.windsurf.boutique/actus/windfoil-test-neilpryde-rsflight-et-glide.html

Use Google to translate. gives a comparison between the 18 & 19 wings

Maddlad
WA, 829 posts
21 Oct 2018 7:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mort67 said..

Maddlad said..

I mean more stable and a better feel all round. The lift properties are fairly similar, but the newer wings aren't as skittish as the original ones.
As far as who stocks them as seperate items goes, my understanding is that any shop that sells them as the full package should be able to sell them separately to you. :)

CAN17
575 posts
21 Oct 2018 11:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Maddlad said..

Mort67 said..

Maddlad said..

I mean more stable and a better feel all round. The lift properties are fairly similar, but the newer wings aren't as skittish as the original ones.
As far as who stocks them as seperate items goes, my understanding is that any shop that sells them as the full package should be able to sell them separately to you. :)

Yah, I was curious so I contacted my store twice and got no comment back. This is silent sports Toronto Canada, to name names. No idea about others in the world like in Australia.

But does anyone know why they don't make a longer fuseledge to mount to NP AL wings and mast. I would think it would be popular to people like me wanting a more stable consistent ride and it could help me with my bigger sails ( 9.9 twin cam). Or do longer fuseledges only attract full on racers??

Maddlad
WA, 829 posts
21 Oct 2018 4:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CAN17 said..

Maddlad said..

Mort67 said..

Maddlad said..

Yah, I was curious so I contacted my store twice and got no comment back. This is silent sports Toronto Canada, to name names. No idea about others in the world like in Australia.

But does anyone know why they don't make a longer fuseledge to mount to NP AL wings and mast. I would think it would be popular to people like me wanting a more stable consistent ride and it could help me with my bigger sails ( 9.9 twin cam). Or do longer fuseledges only attract full on racers??

According to the guys I know who are experienced foilers that use longer fuselages, they generate more power which can be more difficult to contain.
I'd say the NP AL fuselage is designed so it's not too powerful for entry level sailors while also being decent enough once your skills improve. :)

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"Foil board: rs:convertible vs jp 135" started by CAN17