Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

360s (video)

Created by azymuth > 9 months ago, 24 Sep 2020
azymuth
WA, 1962 posts
24 Sep 2020 6:44PM
Thumbs Up

I've been trying to catch Simon's foiling 360s for a while - today he knocked out two in succession in a gusty 10-15 knots close to shore.
So I filmed one at regular speed and the other slowmo

utcminusfour
626 posts
24 Sep 2020 7:02PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks JJ and Simon! I am working on this and the duck gybe at the moment. I admit to slacking off after I could gybe. I just wanted to enjoy the dry laps. Now it's time for some crashing, this vid helps me want more attempts. I noticed his back foot goes way out board and even a bit aft in line with back strap. His gaze keeps advancing tighter into the turn through the move. I gotta work on laying the sail down lower and carving harder and faster. Frothing!!

2keen
WA, 339 posts
24 Sep 2020 7:18PM
Thumbs Up

Still blown away by how much fun foiling is!!
Thanks for filming JJ.
Stoked to be part of a crew that's ALWAYS looking forward to the next session
Simon

CAN17
575 posts
24 Sep 2020 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

Nice great moves Simon

I think the 360s adds a ton of fun to light gusty conditions. Sometimes its 6-15kts at my spot and when I feel like I'm losing speed I'll do a 360 as I'm coming off the foil. You can really use that backwind pop since the wind is like 6kts

I've yet to foil out of one(air to air). What's your biggest tip Simon? I noticed you kinda went downwind after the 360.

thedoor
2191 posts
24 Sep 2020 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

So good. I am struggling with foiling out too.

I can get around 60% of the time but I seem to lose speed and come to a stop.

Simon: Is the extreme laying down of the rig for style or is it necessary?

CoreAS
869 posts
25 Sep 2020 6:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
2keen said..
Still blown away by how much fun foiling is!!
Thanks for filming JJ.
Stoked to be part of a crew that's ALWAYS looking forward to the next session
Simon

Very nice 360's Simon, and thanks for the video JJ its the one transition that I have yet to pull off all the way around, but with the new W130 it game on again

2keen
WA, 339 posts
25 Sep 2020 7:38AM
Thumbs Up

There's a lot going on with a foiling 360 which is why pulling off a successful one is so rewarding.
For me the key is the rig.
After bearing away and commencing your turn the rig needs to be raked back.
For me, rig back meant pressure on my back foot which lead to breaching. As you rake the rig back a shift forward in body weight is required to maintain level flight.
Its more about raking the rig back than laying the rig down.
And I think it was Ben Proffit that said " if your not falling off your not trying hard enough"

IndecentExposur
297 posts
25 Sep 2020 9:21AM
Thumbs Up

Wow. This is on my list!!!

MagicRide
688 posts
26 Sep 2020 11:12PM
Thumbs Up

Very nice! Season is over for me, but will perhaps try it next season. Now I will enjoy reading about everyone's great sessions and videos. Keep me drooling

boardsurfr
WA, 2202 posts
26 Sep 2020 11:48PM
Thumbs Up

Great 360s. It indeed looks like the weight is shifting forward as the sail is going back, with the head ending up in front of both feet. What confuses me about that is that this would mean more pressure on the front foot, meaning roughly even pressure on both feet during the later carve. Perhaps I windsurfed too much and worked on the windsurf jibe for too long, but when windsurfing, switching from back foot heavy to even pressure on both feet means the board stops carving. It looks like this is not the case when foiling? Once the board is banked, it stays that way even if you shift your weight distribution to be even, with one foot on each rail?

MagicRide
688 posts
27 Sep 2020 1:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
boardsurfr said..
Great 360s. It indeed looks like the weight is shifting forward as the sail is going back, with the head ending up in front of both feet. What confuses me about that is that this would mean more pressure on the front foot, meaning roughly even pressure on both feet during the later carve. Perhaps I windsurfed too much and worked on the windsurf jibe for too long, but when windsurfing, switching from back foot heavy to even pressure on both feet means the board stops carving. It looks like this is not the case when foiling? Once the board is banked, it stays that way even if you shift your weight distribution to be even, with one foot on each rail?

Yep you're exactly right! I've been doing lots of carving during the last several sessions on foil and to do it right without over foiling, you need equal pressure on both feet and adjust rig angle and move hips to adjust for gusts. Traditional windsurfing carving is all back foot pressure. It's constant change in stance from foiling to traditional windsurfing.

marc5
158 posts
29 Sep 2020 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

Simon, you are so smooth....wow! Could I ask a more basic question on that beautiful jibe after the 360 (I'm still a newbie trying to make my first jibe). Do you always jibe the sail first, and do you recommend that for newbies, vs. feet first? Thanks!

tintingwen
131 posts
29 Sep 2020 11:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Very nice, i am learning this move...I do it but not completely in the air ; I'm missing something at the end

2keen
WA, 339 posts
29 Sep 2020 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
marc5 said..
Simon, you are so smooth....wow! Could I ask a more basic question on that beautiful jibe after the 360 (I'm still a newbie trying to make my first jibe). Do you always jibe the sail first, and do you recommend that for newbies, vs. feet first? Thanks!

Thanks marc5
When jibing I always flip sail first (carve jibe) and would recommend it for anyone foiling free ride foils with small sails. 6m or under
Having the sail sheeted in on the new tack gives stability which then makes switching your feet easier

Select to expand quote
boardsurfr said..

While the weight shifts forward, I think it's also shifting over the centre line which would allow the pressure to be maintained on the inboard rail(back foot)

boardsurfr
WA, 2202 posts
29 Sep 2020 10:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
2keen said..
While the weight shifts forward, I think it's also shifting over the centre line which would allow the pressure to be maintained on the inboard rail(back foot)

If you move weight from the back foot to the front foot, and both feet are similar distance from the center line, then you have to remove pressure from the inside rail. There is some pressure on the inside rail from the weight of the rig that's tilted far to the inside, though. I'd guess that the rig shifts some of your weight from heels to toes, and thus further to the inside.

CoreAS
869 posts
29 Sep 2020 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

Simon, you make it look way to easy

Mine end normally with either laying the sail too low and fast or picking the sail up too early and going into a "air shoveit", for some reason I bend too far at the waist and that ends with a fast laydown type of gybe entry. Definitely fun trying though!

CoreAS
869 posts
30 Sep 2020 3:29AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks to the video JJ, I can see exactly where I am going wrong! I am leaning way too far back as I go into the turn instead of leaning forward on the front leg and I need to rake the rig back sooner.

Really cool to see frame by frame the subtle differences, this helps heaps!

CAN17
575 posts
30 Sep 2020 6:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CoreAS said..

Mine end normally with either laying the sail too low and fast or picking the sail up too early and going into a "air shoveit", for some reason I bend too far at the waist and that ends with a fast laydown type of gybe entry. Definitely fun trying though!

Yes Dean I Iove that air shoveit
I like how there are so many different tricks you can do out of that backwind position most of the time it's accidental

What is the best wing to practice 360s?
i76 and bigger or are i99 size wings not turny enough?

I've tryed the TC 68 but don't think it has enough float through the turn.

CAN17
575 posts
30 Sep 2020 7:04AM
Thumbs Up

After watching some of the slingshot riders doing these effortlessly, I noticed they keep there boom pritty low maybe chest height/ bottom half of boom cut out. I'm wondering if I should try a lower boom for these 360s. I typically like my boom higher top half of boom cutout/shoulder height for sail pumpabilty. But I think a lower boom might help get the sail lower this video kinda explains it

With a higher boom I sometime find I have to get my body weight to far windward to get the sail laydown enough causing a crash.

simonp123
90 posts
30 Sep 2020 4:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CAN17 said..
After watching some of the slingshot riders doing these effortlessly, I noticed they keep there boom pritty low maybe chest height/ bottom half of boom cut out. I'm wondering if I should try a lower boom for these 360s. I typically like my boom higher top half of boom cutout/shoulder height for sail pumpabilty. But I think a lower boom might help get the sail lower this video kinda explains it

With a higher boom I sometime find I have to get my body weight to far windward to get the sail laydown enough causing a crash.

Well spotted! Those are small sails too so the cut outs are lower anyway. With my 3.0 sail I have to have the boom at the top of the cut out to make it feel anything like normal.

I found that keeping my arms really straight helps. A lower boom is definitely worth trying.

CoreAS
869 posts
30 Sep 2020 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CAN17 said..

CoreAS said..

I like how there are so many different tricks you can do out of that backwind position most of the time it's accidental

Hey Connor,

Good question on wing size, last year I was using the i76 for 360's, this year either the i84 or TC68.
the i99 is the hardest wing to turn even when gybing so don't think that will be any easier!

How's your temp up there, are you still foiling and cranking those 360's out?

CAN17
575 posts
1 Oct 2020 1:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CoreAS said..

CAN17 said..

CoreAS said..

Hey Connor,

Good question on wing size, last year I was using the i76 for 360's, this year either the i84 or TC68.
the i99 is the hardest wing to turn even when gybing so don't think that will be any easier!

How's your temp up there, are you still foiling and cranking those 360's out?

About 13 degrees Celsius today comfy in a 3/2 with 3mm hood but water is still warm 65 deg, 30kt winds perfect foiling weather. Pretty fall colours.

Yeah I think the i76 has a good amount of speed and turns well. Some of my 360s are kinda hit and miss not foiling out of them yet but have done a few where it was close like touch down then two pumps and back up. Will hopefully get one before the end of the season.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"360s (video)" started by azymuth