Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2018 SIC RS

Created by Grenfell > 9 months ago, 24 Jul 2017
Grenfell
NSW, 291 posts
24 Jul 2017 4:58PM
Thumbs Up

Aside from all the upcoming technical gumpf she really is a beautiful looking board.

excav8ter
536 posts
25 Jul 2017 9:20AM
Thumbs Up

A good friend of mine has one. She's a beauty, and FAST!

Helmy
VIC, 796 posts
25 Jul 2017 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

That's it, Grenfell.
We're coming up to steal her!
Er, btw what are the spec's and what's she designed for?

Grenfell
NSW, 291 posts
25 Jul 2017 5:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Helmy said..
That's it, Grenfell.
We're coming up to steal her!
Er, btw what are the spec's and what's she designed for?

14 x 26 mate, a custom all-rounder from Maui. Its going to be their 2018 BOP/ allwater production... an awesome board.

Im upgrading the guard dog!

Area10
1508 posts
25 Jul 2017 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

That's a lovely looking board. How deep is the standing area recess?

Grenfell
NSW, 291 posts
26 Jul 2017 4:32PM
Thumbs Up

I know your not a clog fan mate..... it's about an inch at the front, tapering out to behind feet flush.....very nice and refined as you'd expect.

Area10
1508 posts
26 Jul 2017 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Grenfell said..
I know your not a clog fan mate..... it's about an inch at the front, tapering out to behind feet flush.....very nice and refined as you'd expect.

Sounds perfect :)

Can you compare its performance to any other all-waters raceboards such as the All Star?

Supnorte
262 posts
27 Jul 2017 1:34AM
Thumbs Up

Anthony Scaturro (SIC CEO) shows the details of the new SIC RS at the Outdoor Retail:
www.facebook.com/DistressedMullet/videos/1530618007006001/

And the new Bayonet:
www.facebook.com/DistressedMullet/videos/1530476893686779/

Also loads of photos of the boards here:
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1530576773676791.1073741912.284580921609722&type=3

Grenfell
NSW, 291 posts
27 Jul 2017 9:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said..

Grenfell said..

Sounds perfect :)

Can you compare its performance to any other all-waters raceboards such as the All Star?

your money is already spent she's a great board.

I've had a little time to get used to the board, she really is very impressive. Harbour training, back wash, rough water, flat water and all but open ocean. In the rough stuff I am yet to fall and were talking large swells coming through Sydney heads, back wash from the cliffs, side chop (much more refined rails than the FX) the lot. Calmer and flat waters I am keeping up with guys on narrower All Stars who are much lighter than me, so she's fast as well.

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
27 Jul 2017 1:51PM
Thumbs Up

nice board Grenfell.
good showing the new sic boards Supnorte.

Supnorte
262 posts
28 Jul 2017 3:28AM
Thumbs Up

Board on the water:
www.facebook.com/DistressedMullet/videos/1531555230245612/

Yardsale
66 posts
1 Sep 2017 12:46PM
Thumbs Up

On a related note I paddled 7 miles on a custom version of the Bayonet (21 lbs), flat water to small wind chop. Really fast considering nose and tail kick and off the wind it flies.... I really loved this board. A friend who has down winded this board commented on wind catching the tall rail and, along with side chop, pitched the board over a little more readily. (it sits pretty high so this isn't surprising) The acceleration on swell was pretty amazing apparently... both he and his wife raved about that.

Supnorte
262 posts
27 Sep 2017 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

The new RS by SIC was offically unveiled in Europe last week, during the Paddlexpo. Here are a few photos of the board

Supnorte
262 posts
27 Sep 2017 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

Sizes:

12'6 (23,5''; 25'' and 27'') and 14'0 (23''; 24.5''; 26'' and 28''). Pictured here is the 24.5''

Yardsale
66 posts
28 Sep 2017 6:12AM
Thumbs Up

Looks really fast, look forward to trying one.

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
28 Sep 2017 9:40AM
Thumbs Up

would be nice to test this board.

Yardsale
66 posts
10 Jan 2018 2:59AM
Thumbs Up

Paddled an RS 14 x 24.5 last week, really outstanding board. It is fast, very stable and excellent in quartering waves. Has enough tuck up front and on rail to roll beautifully in side chop. One thing I loved is how the RS felt springy but not soft. (I'm 185 lbs) Some boards have a noticeable vibration when broaching waves, the RS feels solid but when you paddle hard it has a spring that is unique. Weight is light but not so much where it feels fragile. Downwind I think the RS would be a rocket and therefore only for experienced paddlers who can move back with ease to slow it down.

Coldwater
10 posts
10 Jan 2018 6:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Yardsale said..
Paddled an RS 14 x 24.5 last week, really outstanding board. It is fast, very stable and excellent in quartering waves. Has enough tuck up front and on rail to roll beautifully in side chop. One thing I loved is how the RS felt springy but not soft. (I'm 185 lbs) Some boards have a noticeable vibration when broaching waves, the RS feels solid but when you paddle hard it has a spring that is unique. Weight is light but not so much where it feels fragile. Downwind I think the RS would be a rocket and therefore only for experienced paddlers who can move back with ease to slow it down.

I was looking online but couldn't find any paddler weight recommendations for the SIC RS's. Any thoughts on the 14 x 23? I'm 165-170 lbs. I'm currently using a 2017 Naish Maliko 14x24. I'm happy with the stability of the Naish but downwinding I wish there was a bit more volume. Paddling upwind can also be a challenge. Just thinking whether to go for the 23 or 24.5.

Carvers
132 posts
30 Jan 2018 4:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Coldwater said..

Yardsale said..

I was looking online but couldn't find any paddler weight recommendations for the SIC RS's. Any thoughts on the 14 x 23? I'm 165-170 lbs. I'm currently using a 2017 Naish Maliko 14x24. I'm happy with the stability of the Naish but downwinding I wish there was a bit more volume. Paddling upwind can also be a challenge. Just thinking whether to go for the 23 or 24.5.

For flatwater I should take the 23. Ocean at least the 24.5.

Area10
1508 posts
3 Feb 2018 5:03AM
Thumbs Up

How does the speed of the RS compare to the X series boards in flat water?

Supnorte
262 posts
4 Feb 2018 4:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said..
How does the speed of the RS compare to the X series boards in flat water?

I've tested a few RS today at Lagoa de ?bidos, in Portugal, in perfect flatwater conditions. I've already paddled all X models. I've tried today the 12'6 x 25'', the 14'0 x 24.5'' and 14'0 x 26''. All boards were super stable (the 14'0 x 24'5 was a bit more stable than the 12'6 x 25''). My first impression is that the boards are fast (faster than the X-Pro but I don't know if they were faster than the prolite since I didn't had a GPS watch with me). Comparing to the FX-Pro the boards were hands down much faster than the FX-Pro, and despite having more volume they didn't feel like I was dragging more volume than what I needed (and that was the problem with the FX-Pro on flatwater).
The boards glide very well on each stroke and they don't move from rail to rail, so you can keep a higher glide velocity. I did a few sprints on every board and I felt I was sprinting harder and faster than before, with probably my best stroke cadence ever (again, I didn't had a GPS watch to measure the speed, so I only writing what I felt). I did a few videos and I'm gonna edit them soon.

tarquin1
931 posts
4 Feb 2018 3:23PM
Thumbs Up

The channel under the board is very square and doesn't seem very deep. Most race boards seem to have a concave these days but this is a bit different. What is the purpose? The fin seems a long way forward but it might just be the pics.

Area10
1508 posts
4 Feb 2018 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks very much Supnorte. Look forward to your vids. I'm hoping to be able to test a 14x26 myself before too long.

There aren't many demo opportunities in the UK, and the cost of these boards is very high (close to 5000 Australian dollars). So it is important for us to have access to reviews, especially those that compare the boards with others we already know.

Incidentally, I was surprised when I visited Melbourne how much cheaper SUPs were there than in the UK. It was surprising because pretty much everything else in Melbourne is so expensive.

Supnorte
262 posts
5 Feb 2018 12:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said..
Thanks very much Supnorte. Look forward to your vids. I'm hoping to be able to test a 14x26 myself before too long.

There aren't many demo opportunities in the UK, and the cost of these boards is very high (close to 5000 Australian dollars). So it is important for us to have access to reviews, especially those that compare the boards with others we already know.

Incidentally, I was surprised when I visited Melbourne how much cheaper SUPs were there than in the UK. It was surprising because pretty much everything else in Melbourne is so expensive.

SIC dropped the prices of the boards for 2018, specially on the SCC. A 14'0 was 3300 to 3400 euros last year and this year is 2899 euros, so it's a big difference (thanks to the new BIC deal). With the Brexit and the pound getting cheaper all brands will suffer a bit in the UK, but they will still be cheaper than the previous years.
Do you know David Tidball (from SIC UK)? He was here in Porto in the Summer and we did a small DW run (the wind was dropping instead of increasing), I even shoot some photos for an article with him on DW on a British SUP Magazine.
Hope David can hook you up some demo opportunities.

Supnorte
262 posts
5 Feb 2018 1:03AM
Thumbs Up

My first ever strokes on the RS 12'6 x 25'':
www.facebook.com/nuno.p.desousa/videos/10215251718064030/

Area10
1508 posts
5 Feb 2018 2:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Supnorte said..

Area10 said..

SIC dropped the prices of the boards for 2018, specially on the SCC. A 14'0 was 3300 to 3400 euros last year and this year is 2899 euros, so it's a big difference (thanks to the new BIC deal). With the Brexit and the pound getting cheaper all brands will suffer a bit in the UK, but they will still be cheaper than the previous years.
Do you know David Tidball (from SIC UK)? He was here in Porto in the Summer and we did a small DW run (the wind was dropping instead of increasing), I even shoot some photos for an article with him on DW on a British SUP Magazine.
Hope David can hook you up some demo opportunities.

Yes, I know Tids, and he's been really great. It's marvellous having an enthusiast like him influential on the UK SUP scene.

He is based quite a long way away from me though. But I've found a more local demo opportunity and should get to try one this week. It's hard to splash that kind of cash without trying a board first.

I'm hoping to try it back to back with the same width Naish Maliko, which should be interesting. I was very impressed by DJ's 2018 Maliko that he kindly let me try. Shame about the criminally crappy handle, but everything else seemed tip-top, and Naish seemed to have managed to create that holy grail of SUP boards: a great all-round performer that is actually really enjoyable to paddle.

So the SIC RS has some competition, especially since it is a lot more expensive than the Maliko. (I'll bet the handle is better though...)

Area10
1508 posts
5 Feb 2018 2:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Supnorte said..
My first ever strokes on the RS 12'6 x 25'':
www.facebook.com/nuno.p.desousa/videos/10215251718064030/

Haha! The soundtrack is not safe for the workplace ;)

First ever "strokes" eh?

Supnorte
262 posts
5 Feb 2018 3:01AM
Thumbs Up

A SUP board is always a serious investment, even an inflatable all-round board. So it's always best if you can try a few boards.
On the video, it's my first seconds on the board, it was just begging for a sprint!
I live in Porto, and I have one of the best locations in the world to paddle: flatwater (and also river DW) on the Douro River, beach race and race surfing in Matosinhos beach (it's like Dana Point without the pebbles and the small shorebreak) and some serious downwind conditions (I sometimes do a DW run from work at the SUP school in Matosinhos to my house in Miramar, exactly 15 km), so the RS 14'0 x 24.5 (the one I ordered for me) looks like the perfect every day board. I also have a Bullet 17'4 FAST that will only now use with 20 knots plus. With conditions below 20 knots, I think this board will be a lot of fun.

Area10
1508 posts
6 Feb 2018 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds great.

What I'd ideally like to see is a video of the board being paddled vigorously, taken from a side-on viewpoint that shows the waterline of the board, and how the nose and tail are moving through it. I think you can tell a lot about a board just by watching it move through the water. Unfortunately you usually need two people to put together a video like that, so we don't often see that in short amateur videos.

Supnorte
262 posts
6 Feb 2018 11:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
What I'd ideally like to see is a video of the board being paddled vigorously, taken from a side-on viewpoint that shows the waterline of the board, and how the nose and tail are moving through it. I think you can tell a lot about a board just by watching it move through the water.

I think I can manage that. I didn't had a lot of time to see and work on the videos from the weekend, but I did filmed different people paddling on the RS 12'6 x 25'', 14'0 x 24.5 and 14'0 x 26''. I'll post them soon, so you can take a look at it.

Area10
1508 posts
7 Feb 2018 10:16AM
Thumbs Up

That would be really great, thanks a lot.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2018 SIC RS" started by Grenfell