Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

Takuma LoL 1300 & 1600 review

Created by Piros > 9 months ago, 6 Apr 2020
Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
6 Apr 2020 6:54AM
Thumbs Up

Quick review on the LoL's these two wings are pretty amazing .

kobo
NSW, 1064 posts
6 Apr 2020 7:21AM
Thumbs Up

So have they addressed all the splitting and cracking issues they had , I remember quiet a few crew who had them and said they were splitting on the leading and trailing edges and filling up with water and they couldn't get warranty on them. Jacko told me he liked they way they performed too but was sick of repairing them and looking for something else.

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
6 Apr 2020 7:24AM
Thumbs Up

Yes no issues at all now , I've seen Jacko's early wings . These are a completely different construction. I really have put mine through hell . I've had some massive bottom strikes and still all good .

db541
65 posts
6 Apr 2020 8:22AM
Thumbs Up

Rob,
Thanks thanks for the review. Been riding axis and loving it but have really been wondering about these. Do you find them too lifty, or do you just get used to it? I'm 90kg usually out in small FL surf, more often than not. I sup foil more than I prone but enjoy both.

Would you still recommend 1300/1600 at my weight (maybe get 1900?). We do t get much in the way of legit DW conditions here so curious about this for pretty much surf and learning to wing ding.

I've been riding axis 900, 1000 and 1010. Not in any rush but these interest me! Worth the extra spend for carbon? I know your an axis fan as well. Bit sounds like your sold. I like the idea of a 2 foil quiver and would likely keep axis set up as well.

Thanks for all of you reviews you've been super helpful Rob. Been lurking around here for a long while for sup and foil and forgot my old log in!
cheers!

wazza66
QLD, 607 posts
6 Apr 2020 3:39PM
Thumbs Up

Very insightful review Rob.

Just what we need on these long lock down days.

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
6 Apr 2020 6:19PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers Waz.... db541 I'd say the 1600 for you if you are used to the high aspect Axis wings . If your priority is Surf then Wingding then DW that's the go . I'd only get the 1900 if you want to DW and light wind wingding as I said in the video the 1900 has so much lift it's a handful in waves . The 1600 is lifty but that's a good thing , it also has an amazingly low stall speed like the 1010 and doesn't plop down like the 900 &1000. I'm 87 kg and prone the 1600 no worries at all .

exiled
362 posts
6 Apr 2020 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

How is the mast flex? big difference between the aluminum and carbon?

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
6 Apr 2020 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah bit of flex in carbon mast compared to the Ali but it's pretty minimal

db541
65 posts
6 Apr 2020 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

Rob,
A one foil quiver- even better! Would you recommend adding or swapping the sm rear wing to the 1600 or just staying the stock 1600? I've been using the 370 w the Axis and thats all I use w all axis front foils.
Love the idea of lower stall spreads especially on gutless waves.

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
6 Apr 2020 11:40PM
Thumbs Up

I'd just stick to the std 1600 set up it works so well . Maybe later get a surf rear .

Hdip
384 posts
7 Apr 2020 12:27AM
Thumbs Up

Any comparison to the GoFoil GL 140?

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
7 Apr 2020 7:19AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah good question , the 140 is a pretty epic wing but doesn't have the same lower foil speed as the 1300 . The 140 surfs very good , fast and still pumps well but it's very flat and can be unforgiving you'll find the 1300 a lot more stable and easier to ride . Overall I'd say the 140 is a more advanced riders wing , I have seen some guys absolutely ripping on it but also seen new foilers struggling to learn on the 140 & 180 . If you are a seasoned rider the 140 & 180 are definitely a wings to consider though.

kobo
NSW, 1064 posts
7 Apr 2020 7:25AM
Thumbs Up

How does it compare to Armstrong 1550 hs ? and do you think it is better than axis 900

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
7 Apr 2020 8:38AM
Thumbs Up

The 1550 is more a match for the 1600 , the 1300 is clearly a better surfing wing compared to the 1550. Armstrong have absolute quality wings so you'd be comparing the 1200 & 1550 v 1300 & 1600 , so Takuma 1300 v Armstrong 1200 . 1300 pretty clear winner here does everything the 1200 can do , plus more speed , maneuverability and out pumps it by miles . If Armstrong brought out a version like the 1550 in the smaller size would be a different story. The 1550 v 1600 you could probably throw a blanket over these two very even match.

Re the Axis 900 also great pump wing , I have one and love but it really it has it's limits , it just doesn't surf like the smaller wings , in fact Axis doesn't actually have a dedicated surf wing. The 900 is also a great downwind wing but again it does have a fairly high stall speed , loose your momentum and you just drop . compare that to the Takumas and they just simply slow down and come down gradually giving you a greater chance to pump it back up plus you can maintain a lower foil speed. The axis 101 does exactly this , great wing but don't try and surf it. Again I go back to what I said in the video its not the individual aspects of the Takumas but the overall performance of them for all foil genres , pretty hard to beat overall.

kobo
NSW, 1064 posts
7 Apr 2020 10:44AM
Thumbs Up

I haven't seen any videos of anyone ripping in the surf with a takuma yet so I'll have to take your word on that , there are plenty of vids of guys ripping on Armstrong 1200, 1550 and the new 1050 hs and pumping back out with no probs , check out Skyrama on insta, but he would probably make any wing look good.
Im 82 kg and have the 1550 hs with a 60 fuse and 232 tail and it's surfs amazing,I can't imagine needing a looser or faster setup atm ,but If I ever do I can change down to a 50 fuse and also chop the tail to 212 but I think it would be too sensitive, but the lighter guys around 65 kg love it so I'm thinking weight must come into play here which is interesting, so much to learn.Would like to try the takuma some time as I haven't found anything near the 1550 yet.Its the first wing I can pump back out and turn on a dime.Have you ridden any Armstrong with shorter fuse and tails or just the standard setup.

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
7 Apr 2020 11:06AM
Thumbs Up

Check out my insta video from Sunday this is Beau on the 1300 at the start of the video just killing it.

www.instagram.com/tv/B-mTMANjBeX/?igshid=ih8qzmc53ck6

The 1550 set up I tested was same as yours I'm 87kg ATM so pretty similar. For prone surfing anything with a bit of punch and chest high it's very easy to get overpowered on larger wings . Sup bit of a different story . Agree seen plenty of guys shredding on the Armstrong's I'm not knocking them at all they are a A grade quality performance wings . Have a test of the Takuma 1600 and you'll know what I'm talking about .

kobo
NSW, 1064 posts
7 Apr 2020 1:01PM
Thumbs Up

Well if anyone is keen on them surfboard warehouse has 30% off them atm.

exiled
362 posts
7 Apr 2020 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

Shoot that's a good price. Whats the best way to ship something that size to the US? I've got a mate I could have it shipped to in Newcastle, I'd just have to figure out how to get it to Hawaii from there.

db541
65 posts
7 Apr 2020 12:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..
The 1550 is more a match for the 1600 , the 1300 is clearly a better surfing wing compared to the 1550. Armstrong have absolute quality wings so you'd be comparing the 1200 & 1550 v 1300 & 1600 , so Takuma 1300 v Armstrong 1200 . 1300 pretty clear winner here does everything the 1200 can do , plus more speed , maneuverability and out pumps it by miles . If Armstrong brought out a version like the 1550 in the smaller size would be a different story. The 1550 v 1600 you could probably throw a blanket over these two very even match.

Re the Axis 900 also great pump wing , I have one and love but it really it has it's limits , it just doesn't surf like the smaller wings , in fact Axis doesn't actually have a dedicated surf wing. The 900 is also a great downwind wing but again it does have a fairly high stall speed , loose your momentum and you just drop . compare that to the Takumas and they just simply slow down and come down gradually giving you a greater chance to pump it back up plus you can maintain a lower foil speed. The axis 101 does exactly this , great wing but don't try and surf it. Again I go back to what I said in the video its not the individual aspects of the Takumas but the overall performance of them for all foil genres , pretty hard to beat overall.

Great info Rob! Thanks for the info

Foil Centre AU
QLD, 1 posts
7 Apr 2020 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

Epic review Rob, we have the takuma and Pegasus range on sale at the moment plus we have Armstrong, Cloud XI and Go Foil also available. If anyone is interested check this link or send us a message on our Instagram foilcentre. www.thesurfboardwarehouse.com.au/foils/

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
7 Apr 2020 3:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Foil Centre AU said..
Epic review Rob, we have the takuma and Pegasus range on sale at the moment plus we have Armstrong, Cloud XI and Go Foil also available. If anyone is interested check this link or send us a message on our Instagram foilcentre. www.thesurfboardwarehouse.com.au/foils/

I got my HS1550 through Foil Center and would highly recommend them.

kobo
NSW, 1064 posts
7 Apr 2020 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

You could have got a takuma there cheaper , interested in why you bought the Armstrong

Twimby
WA, 482 posts
7 Apr 2020 2:00PM
Thumbs Up

Rob, met you at Merimbula years ago, Hillys's mate. Hull Rippers were the go that year .

The advertising states the foil is not front foot orientated and wondering if this is correct.
So far I have had a few wobbles behind the ski. Having surfed for years I keep going to my back foot every time I get out of shape.

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
7 Apr 2020 4:56PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Twimby long time no see . Yeah that's a bizzare comment I think it's very front foot but so are most foils IMHO. Some surfers say they are front foot surfers but when I teach them behind the boat they are all back foot. There is a switch in your brain that makes makes turn and control off your back foot , that switch after time flicks over to your front foot for foiling.
To help get over this push the mast right back and stand further forward . Once you get the hang of it slowly bump the mast forward to find the right balance . Keep at you'll get it we go through this .

Twimby
WA, 482 posts
7 Apr 2020 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

No worries, Thanks Rob. Like learning to windsurf, gotta do the hours.

frenchfoiler
498 posts
7 Apr 2020 4:02PM
Thumbs Up

I heard they are working on new wing ???

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
7 Apr 2020 6:06PM
Thumbs Up

Not sure I'm a shop rider that reviews not a Takuma team rider , so just ride the different foils . I'm not privy to new R&D and I'm the last they'll tell as I'm really bad at keeping a secret

exiled
362 posts
7 Apr 2020 4:24PM
Thumbs Up

So at 95 kg do I just order the 1600 and call it good?

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
7 Apr 2020 6:43PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah 100% the 1600 punches above it's weight without the down side of a large wing . Still very nibble and will carry your extra kegs no worries at all .

windara
QLD, 256 posts
7 Apr 2020 6:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..
Yeah bit of flex in carbon mast compared to the Ali but it's pretty minimal

So with the flex.. is that an advantage or is the weight gains the biggest gain over the ally mast?

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
7 Apr 2020 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

Because the carbon mast is tapered the flex is down low closer to the fuse and it feels really good . Mast like the MFC are soft and flex at the board mounting plate like soft Ali mast so very big difference. Flexing at the plate feels terrible . The Takuma Ali mast is very stiff like the Axis plus it's modular and breaks down . The stiffest Carbon mast on the market is the GoFoil really good but no weight advantage over an Ali Axis or Takuma Ali mast . Both the Go Foil and Takuma mast and fuse are one piece so pros and cons for travel . The Takuma carbon mast is thinner and tapered with a rake like the Armstrong which is probably best carbon modular mast on the market but it also still flexes but down low . Signature & Uni are modular and very good but still don't match the Armstrong.

The rake in the mast is something you can't get out of Ali and is a big plus . Axis also have a sweet new carbon mast but unfortunately not available yet . Generally it's a $1,000 premium for a carbon mast , so you really need to weigh up pros and cons . Weight saving is only minimal. With the Takuma 1300 Ali set up at $1,399 ATM very hard to go past that and only a couple of hundred bucks more for the 1600 it's very hard to beat . All the Takuma wings are full carbon . So the Ali set up is still around 4kg . Takuma Ali mast is 70cm Carbon 75cm .

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Takuma LoL 1300 & 1600 review" started by Piros