Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

Armstrong HS 1850

Created by kobo > 9 months ago, 29 Jun 2020
Windoc
376 posts
21 Jan 2021 1:47AM
Thumbs Up

Can anyone give their best pumping tips for the 1850?

I'm winging and SUPing it, mostly with 75 mast, 232, +1 shim, foil slammed forward in boxes. Winging, the pumping feels intuitive and easy going down wind or through lulls; keep it high and give it two footed small amplitude "shoves", though I feel like still actively need to be in the sweet spot of a wind swell to keep flying. A buddy using a Maliko 200 can passively stand there going down wind with almost no pumping. When I'm SUPing the 1850 I find it difficult to kick out of a wave and maintain more than a 4-5 pumps before losing lift, though I suspect I'm kicking out too late and am already behind the point of maintaining lift for long as well as dropping my height. My back foot is usually at the back edge of the mast plate and I'm narrowing my stance a bit while pumping to feel the foil more. Any other tips for this particular foil set up that I'm missing?

kobo
NSW, 1063 posts
21 Jan 2021 8:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Can555 said..
Can anyone give their best pumping tips for the 1850?

I'm winging and SUPing it, mostly with 75 mast, 232, +1 shim, foil slammed forward in boxes. Winging, the pumping feels intuitive and easy going down wind or through lulls; keep it high and give it two footed small amplitude "shoves", though I feel like still actively need to be in the sweet spot of a wind swell to keep flying. A buddy using a Maliko 200 can passively stand there going down wind with almost no pumping. When I'm SUPing the 1850 I find it difficult to kick out of a wave and maintain more than a 4-5 pumps before losing lift, though I suspect I'm kicking out too late and am already behind the point of maintaining lift for long as well as dropping my height. My back foot is usually at the back edge of the mast plate and I'm narrowing my stance a bit while pumping to feel the foil more. Any other tips for this particular foil set up that I'm missing?

prone it pumps really easy with the 212 tail +1 shim ,is the most effIcient and least effort setup, but also the most unstable and squirrelly especially on a SUP with the extra swing weight. Most people learn with 300 tail because it lifts a lot more and is much more stable so easier overall to control , but once you get fine tuned you will prefer 232 or 212 for more performance.exit with speed and stay as high as you can !!

Windoc
376 posts
21 Jan 2021 5:20AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks kobo! Current set up on SUP feels really good and pretty stable now as it's the only foil I have a decent amount of time on so far since starting last August. Foot switches still toss me on the wing most of the time, but are coming. Appreciate the input!

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
23 Jan 2021 4:27PM
Thumbs Up

I winged it twice today (so first two times on it). Sick wing. Just like a slower more stable 1250. Was surprisingly stable on the ocean swells and balanced... didn't force up at you on the front foot. Seems to need a slower more gradual pump action and yeh gotta stay high.
wouldn't mind trying it on the plus one shim to increase its speed. Looking forward to proning it - let ya know.

kobo
NSW, 1063 posts
23 Jan 2021 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

Great fun prone in the smaller stuff especially with 212 tail +1 , pumps easy and turns great for a big wing.

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
23 Jan 2021 11:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..
Great fun prone in the smaller stuff especially with 212 tail +1 , pumps easy and turns great for a big wing.

Yep the -2 does not work with it.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
24 Jan 2021 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

Plus one hey ... will give that a crack.
So I got it yesterday. Had two wings as I said yesterday in crap conditions the 1250 wouldn't even fly. Was able to start learning my tacks as I didn't care if I crashed (which I mainly did) because it was so easy to water start again

today I proned it on a pretty fat average wave the 1250 would have been a struggle. This arvo winged it in decent swell in light winds again the 1250 would struggle.
that's why I got it.

but give me the 1250 anyway of the week if conditions are right.

it's still a slow slug compared to the 1250.

Foilnut
172 posts
25 Jan 2021 9:52AM
Thumbs Up

Try out the 1850 with a 50 fuse and the 300 tail. I had one session on this in light winds. Pumping was fun. Will get back out with this but air temps are now well below zero so winging on the soft water is out.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
25 Jan 2021 12:39PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh funny you say that I proned it with a 50 fuse but a cut down 232. Jesus she was twitchy !!

Supmaori
746 posts
27 Jan 2021 3:34PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys
Quick question.. ive managed to snag a 1850 wing to add to my wing quiver - 2400(which i use for winging as im only 5 sessions in) and a 1600( which i use for sup foiling. )Once I get better at winging the 1850 will be my go to..but for sup foiling when would I use the 1850 over the 1600? I really enjoy the 1600 in waist to chest high surf. I have 60 fuse / 85 mast and both 300 /232 tails but have only used the 300 with the 1600 for sup foiling.
Any advice on 1850 set for sup foiling appreciated.

Kia ora

tomooh
275 posts
27 Jan 2021 5:23PM
Thumbs Up

I use the 1850 in small waves and waves that back off because it will keep going on nothing and is easy to catch weak waves on. I am using the 300 tail because it is easier to handle more stable and fast enough for me. Bigger steeper take offs are challenging on the 1850 but I sold my 1600 and don't miss it. Have decided to keep the cf1200 though it goes well in better waves.

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
27 Jan 2021 11:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Supmaori said..
Hey guys
Quick question.. ive managed to snag a 1850 wing to add to my wing quiver - 2400(which i use for winging as im only 5 sessions in) and a 1600( which i use for sup foiling. )Once I get better at winging the 1850 will be my go to..but for sup foiling when would I use the 1850 over the 1600? I really enjoy the 1600 in waist to chest high surf. I have 60 fuse / 85 mast and both 300 /232 tails but have only used the 300 with the 1600 for sup foiling.
Any advice on 1850 set for sup foiling appreciated.

Kia ora

As above small waves that back off. Unbelievable glide will keep on going on nothing

kobo
NSW, 1063 posts
7 Feb 2021 8:01PM
Thumbs Up

Just prone foiled the 1850 in creek entrance with small waves running in. I mucked around with tails and shims for fun and discovered the 300 tail with 0 shim was the best combo for getting longer rides in these conditions.
300+0 creates more lift so less pumping needed and much easier to stay on the wave energy and not outrun the small runners, which allowed me to ride much further.
Changed to 212 +1 and of course much easier to turn, but less lift so a lot more pumping to stay high on the foil and a lots more running back and forth to stay in the best part of the wave and more work to keep going.
I thought I would never use the 300 tail and 0 shim anymore but there you go.

Pat WA 1965
WA, 37 posts
8 Feb 2021 9:31AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for that comment Kobo. Always interested in peoples thoughts on how to best set up the HS1850 for proning small waves. I have been using it with 300 tail & positive 1 shim for prone. Will try the same set up with the zero shim and see if that improves my pump game any

Pasquales
201 posts
10 Mar 2021 11:58AM
Thumbs Up

Today was my second session winging on the 1850. I've owned it since last August, but there haven't been many days with strong enough winds. Most days the 2400 just works much better to get foiling. Today the wind was blowing 12-14 knots - an exceptional day in the region.

The 1850 was smooth as butter. Was surprised by the speed in turns, and just the speed in general. Also surprised by how responsive the wing felt. It was like the difference between riding a longboard vs. a high performance short board. Now I see what you guys have been speaking about.
During this period I've taken the 1850 prone surfing, but it was too big for the conditions. So the 1250 was added and worked well for fast local beach break. On a few of those smaller days, the 1850 would probably had been better.
Honestly it was a little maddening buying the 1850 as my first wing, and using it sparingly. Today made the wait totally worth it.

Pasquales
201 posts
14 Mar 2021 2:59PM
Thumbs Up

Had the 1850 in 10 to 12 knots today. It was a struggle to get to on foil, but I managed a few long rides. I believe my pump technique clicked, and made some important gains. Probably will sell the 2400, as will no longer need it.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
14 Mar 2021 8:51PM
Thumbs Up

The 1850 is my session saver and new
skill Developer. Yesterday and today in some crappy morning easterlies, 9/10-14 knots ... but with spikes to say 18. It must have saved at least 12 sessions in the past month alone. As for proning ... mmmm not convinced. Even in small stuff the other day I wish I had put on the 1250.

that being said need to try it with a 300 tail as Mentioned above.

JJR
NSW, 1 posts
16 Mar 2021 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

Does anyone have any experience SUP downwinding the Armstrong CF2400 or HS1850. No wing, just paddle power. The 2400 looks great on paper for paddling into even the smallest wind chop, but I haven't seen anyone actually doing it consistently. I'm guessing the 1850 would have more glide once up and be a little looser, but with less lift at low speeds. That low speed bit is key for me as a novice SUP downwind paddler Anyone flat water paddle-pumping this up onto foil would be a great test.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Armstrong HS 1850" started by kobo