Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

Armstrong 2400 for Winging?

Created by MauiPaddler > 9 months ago, 31 Mar 2020
Raleigh
14 posts
29 Sep 2020 12:58AM
Thumbs Up

Anyone have any experience comparing the 2400 V2 with the 1850? I see a few 1850 comments here on this 2400 thread but no direct comparison.

DB2
98 posts
29 Sep 2020 4:58AM
Thumbs Up

I have only three days with the 1850, but already love it. I use it in light winds, just waiting for my own 6m wing. I like the higher speed/lower drag of the 1850 compared to the 2400. In our gusty conditions, you are often overpowered in gusts and the 2400 stops accelerating quickly resulting in higher holding forces.

Pasquales
201 posts
30 Sep 2020 8:44AM
Thumbs Up

I have a question regarding the 2400 and winging. After purchasing an 1850/232/60 set up in August, I realized the 1850 probably wouldn't work on most summer days where I live. That same week, I came across a used 2400, and started my wing training. There haven't been too many windy days since getting my gear, so most time has been spent learning the basics - balancing while holding the wing, taxiing, knee starts, how to go upwind, etc....

Today had the most wind in two months - a wopping 11 knots ! I was on foil a lot of the time. However, there were moments when the board felt wobbly under my feet. It would typically occur well after being up on foil. When the wobbles happened, I would have to depower the wing and put the board back down, otherwise the twitching would send me over the side. Was this a result of not being balanced? My feet for the most part were right down the center line, with back foot right at the front of the foil. I don't think I was putting too much pressure on the back foot. If this was the case, wouldn't the foil would shoot upward and buck the rider off? The connections were all tight and seemed fine. In the past, when going down wind and stepping too forward the foil would shake. So I try not to step in that zone. Any feedback is appreciated.

Background -
-Weight 90 kgs, 180 cm height
-6m Slingwing, 120 liter 6'0" F-One Foil SUP
-No previous wind sport experience, well versed in short board surfing, some prone foiling.

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
30 Sep 2020 7:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Pasquales said..
I have a question regarding the 2400 and winging. After purchasing an 1850/232/60 set up in August, I realized the 1850 probably wouldn't work on most summer days where I live. That same week, I came across a used 2400, and started my wing training. There haven't been too many windy days since getting my gear, so most time has been spent learning the basics - balancing while holding the wing, taxiing, knee starts, how to go upwind, etc....

Today had the most wind in two months - a wopping 11 knots ! I was on foil a lot of the time. However, there were moments when the board felt wobbly under my feet. It would typically occur well after being up on foil. When the wobbles happened, I would have to depower the wing and put the board back down, otherwise the twitching would send me over the side. Was this a result of not being balanced? My feet for the most part were right down the center line, with back foot right at the front of the foil. I don't think I was putting too much pressure on the back foot. If this was the case, wouldn't the foil would shoot upward and buck the rider off? The connections were all tight and seemed fine. In the past, when going down wind and stepping too forward the foil would shake. So I try not to step in that zone. Any feedback is appreciated.

Background -
-Weight 90 kgs, 180 cm height
-6m Slingwing, 120 liter 6'0" F-One Foil SUP
-No previous wind sport experience, well versed in short board surfing, some prone foiling.

Are you almost breaching? The 2400 is so big you can surf on it :)

Pasquales
201 posts
30 Sep 2020 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

It could have been. I noticed it when the wing was pointing slightly up, and not horizontal. Learning how to trim properly is going to take work, its hard to simulate in lite conditions.

Raleigh
14 posts
30 Sep 2020 11:30PM
Thumbs Up

What size mast are you using? I saw in another thread or forum where someone mentioned the longer masts have too much flex for the 2400, which is kind of disappointing. Not sure if this is the case but something to consider.

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
1 Oct 2020 1:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Raleigh said..
What size mast are you using? I saw in another thread or forum where someone mentioned the longer masts have too much flex for the 2400, which is kind of disappointing. Not sure if this is the case but something to consider.

Used mine on a 72 and 85 mast. The 85 felt better - smoother and better pump.

kobo
NSW, 1064 posts
1 Oct 2020 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..

kobo said...Checked later and it was 32.2 km/h.Had a couple of similar experiences proning on it with the 232/+1 and found as long as I hold a line and height it will stay there

With 212 tail and +1 it is comfortable at 34km/h +2 was even more controlled at speed. I lost feel for turning though, so went back to 0 shim. Still very controllable over 30km/h but easier to turn, I feel. I like a bit of drag but not too much Goldilocks combo for me.

SUP foiled on the 1550 and 850 mast (212 and 0 shim) yesterday in good waves, wow that is so much better than the 720 mast. No wingtips pocking out or rail hits even with sharp turns.

Don't tell me that Hilly , I don't want to fork out for a 850 but I know I will end up getting one,
Interesting you were comfortable at 34km with the 212 , Im still using the 300 for stability but will change to 232/212 in time , only done a couple of DW at this point but hopefully more this weekend.

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
2 Oct 2020 3:39AM
Thumbs Up

Haha with 212 got 43kph yesterday and today so yes smaller tail = more speed.

emmafoils
307 posts
2 Oct 2020 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Raleigh said..
Anyone have any experience comparing the 2400 V2 with the 1850? I see a few 1850 comments here on this 2400 thread but no direct comparison.

Huge difference in low end. The 2400 just wants to come up. Trade off is that it is a lot slower and draggy.

Pasquales
201 posts
3 Oct 2020 4:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
emmafoils said..

Huge difference in low end. The 2400 just wants to come up. Trade off is that it is a lot slower and draggy.

Is there a point when winging the 2400, where it can breach when going to fast ? Felt a weird twitch the other day that didn't make sense, like the foil almost felt skatey at one point. It happened well after being up on foil. I'm wondering if I was over accelerating, and needed to switch to the 1850.

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
3 Oct 2020 10:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
emmafoils said..

Raleigh said..

Disagree with low end. I can get up really early with the 1850 that is why I sold my 2400.

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
3 Oct 2020 10:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Pasquales said..

emmafoils said..

Is there a point when winging the 2400, where it can breach when going to fast ? Felt a weird twitch the other day that didn't make sense, like the foil almost felt skatey at one point. It happened well after being up on foil. I'm wondering if I was over accelerating, and needed to switch to the 1850.

When overdone with the 2400 you can get some odd behaviour almost like the tip cavities. Or it displaces so much water the turbulence causes the tail to lose some hold.

kobo
NSW, 1064 posts
3 Oct 2020 5:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..

43 on the 1850? That's fast.

emmafoils
307 posts
3 Oct 2020 3:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..

emmafoils said..

Raleigh said..

Disagree with low end. I can get up really early with the 1850 that is why I sold my 2400.

Not everyone may need the low end of the 2400...agreed. But the 2400 has much better low end than the 1850.

When I got my 1850 I liked it so much I used it exclusively for around 40 sessions and thought I was done with the 2400. The other day was very light and I used the 2400 just to see what it felt like because it had been awhile (didn't change anything else in the setup) I was amazed at how much more lift it has. Yes, it is bulky and slow but it has tons more low end lift than the 1850.

Larger SA, lower AR and much, much thicker.....it absolutely has better low end. Or are the rules of hydrodynamics different in the antipodes?

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
3 Oct 2020 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

This was today. Super light. Peak speed is on a wave

Foilnut
172 posts
3 Oct 2020 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..

Hilly. 42 km/hr(23 knots) is impressive. With the 1850/232/60 setup my usual max is around 27 km/hr. Did you see a similar increase in speed when changing from 232 to 212 stab? Maybe it also comes down to your waves having more energy and steep? Our waves are all wind driven.

What sort of max speed can you get driving upwind?

kobo
NSW, 1064 posts
4 Oct 2020 8:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..

Im usually cruising around at 26km and my peak has been 34km , that's using the kite app on a garmin watch which is more reliable than the surf tracker app which used to gives me unreliable readings, what app are you using to record with Hilly ?

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
4 Oct 2020 8:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Foilnut said..

hilly said..

Hilly. 42 km/hr(23 knots) is impressive. With the 1850/232/60 setup my usual max is around 27 km/hr. Did you see a similar increase in speed when changing from 232 to 212 stab? Maybe it also comes down to your waves having more energy and steep? Our waves are all wind driven.

What sort of max speed can you get driving upwind?

You are exactly right the peak is on a proper ocean swell. Beating upwind very slow in the 20s. The 212 gave me 3 or 4 kph at the top end and more manoeuvrability. Downside is bit less upwind ability and a loss of stability in turns.

the playground

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
4 Oct 2020 8:53AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..

hilly said..

Im usually cruising around at 26km and my peak has been 34km , that's using the kite app on a garmin watch which is more reliable than the surf tracker app which used to gives me unreliable readings, what app are you using to record with Hilly ?

Strava Apple Watch series 5.

bhc
VIC, 201 posts
4 Oct 2020 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

What is the strongest wind a 76-78kg rider can comfortably foil with cf2400 and a 4m wing?

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
4 Oct 2020 10:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bhc said..
What is the strongest wind a 76-78kg rider can comfortably foil with cf2400 and a 4m wing?

That is a can of worms. Ability, board, ocean/flat, fuse length, tail, etc. Armstrong do not recommend it www.armstrongfoils.com/media/1890/armstrong-wing-size-guide.pdf

A wild guess would be 16 to 19 knots. 2400 would be unpleasant in those winds at your weight especially with a big sup, 60 fuse and 300 tail.

bhc
VIC, 201 posts
4 Oct 2020 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

Thank you hilly.

Anybody else who wants to share their experience with cf2400 in 15+ knots?

I am primarily interested in this foil for light winds i.e. under 20 knots on the bay for more TOW. When it is 18+knots, I prefer windsurfing.

emmafoils
307 posts
4 Oct 2020 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bhc said..
Thank you hilly.

I am primarily interested in this foil for light winds i.e. under 20 knots on the bay for more TOW. When it is 18+knots, I prefer windsurfing.

Many of us look at the 2400 as great for learning, and then some keep it as a "session saver" while others choose to sell it. It is not much fun for the experienced foiler if there is enough wind for a smaller foil.

Raleigh
14 posts
4 Oct 2020 11:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
emmafoils said..

bhc said..
Thank you hilly.

Many of us look at the 2400 as great for learning, and then some keep it as a "session saver" while others choose to sell it. It is not much fun for the experienced foiler if there is enough wind for a smaller foil.

This is all super helpful, thank you! I ended up ordering the 1550 1850 and 2400. I'm debating on if the 1550 and 1850 are too close. I may end up sending the 2400 back. I'm 210cm tall and 95 kg.

Pasquales
201 posts
14 Oct 2020 12:40PM
Thumbs Up

To be honest, ability for me has been the most important factor. I hit the part of the learning curve where not having a good understanding of wind sports slowed progression. During the past few sessions, I felt over powered on the 2400 and overwhelmed when the adjustments being tried had no effect. So until you can figure out how to better manage the issues, its easy to feel stuck in a loop. Having wing buddies with more experience has helped loads.

Pasquales
201 posts
24 Oct 2020 8:36AM
Thumbs Up

Took the 2400 out SUP foiling today. I haven't used it much for wave riding, the 1850 has worked appropriately. Mainly the 2400 was used to learn winging. It was good in light conditions, and get's up quick. Downsize , sometime the lift can be too much. Going forward, will use the 1850 exclusively for both sports.

kobo
NSW, 1064 posts
24 Oct 2020 12:29PM
Thumbs Up

Did a 23k DW on the 1850 yesterday, it was fantastic ,handled the fast drops and speed spikes no problem and milked all the small bumps too.Stayed up on foil for 10mins or more at a time.....which is good for me at this stage.

Pasquales
201 posts
8 Nov 2020 11:07AM
Thumbs Up

First pacific storm of the new season at my local spot, with rain and winds up and down ranging from 8 to 18 mph. Originally started with the 1850, but was having a hard time due to the lulls. Went back to the car, changed to the 2400. It was golden. Today was the second time riding a new board (5'6" Quatro Wing Drifter) and was the best session I've had. On a few rides, the wind spiked when already up on foil riding. The shorter board length helps by being able to do a quick turn to dump excess speed. On another long ride going upwind, I thought I was going to breach for sure, but it didn't happen . So made some really good progress today in controlling the foil and in pumping the wing and board to get up on foil.

bhc
VIC, 201 posts
7 Dec 2020 12:12PM
Thumbs Up

I am still a learner and haven't got enough experience with other foils for a decent comparison so read it with a grain of salt. I am 53 and weigh 76-78kg.
I've had 15-20 sessions with my cf2400 using a 5'10'' (102 litre) board, duotone unit 5m and naish wingsurfer 4m (v1) wings.
With the Unit, I can fly when it's 12+knots with my very bad pumping technique (BTW, I am referring to the weather station not a handheld anemometer). The sweet spot is 14-18 knots. I can survive gusts over 30 knots but not an enjoyable experience with a lot of fluttering.

With the Naish, I went out a couple of times when it was 25knots gusting to 35. Even with the confused chop and shorebreak of Port Phillip Bay it was surprisingly controllable and fun. This foil has great stability, very low stall speed yet quite comfortable when overpowered. I was just sheeting out the wing to manage the gusts and going over the chop upwind as well as coming downwind was quite OK. I think this is an amazing foil to learn and keep for light wind days. With two wings I have an amazing range. I will probably buy an HS1850 or an HS1550 at some stage though.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Armstrong 2400 for Winging?" started by MauiPaddler