Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
Bananabender
QLD, 1538 posts
12 Nov 2019 4:51PM
Thumbs Up

Daughter was having problem with mainsheet traveller jamming so took it off for a look. Replaced with new . Does anyone lubricate theirs ?

cisco
QLD, 12311 posts
12 Nov 2019 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

^^^Mate, I always lubricate my blocks with something. Lanox, Inox, WD 40, Silicon or even engine oil.

Those riveted pins can be ground off and punched out and replaced with bolts. You will figure it out.

Bananabender
QLD, 1538 posts
12 Nov 2019 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..
^^^Mate, I always lubricate my blocks with something. Lanox, Inox, WD 40, Silicon or even engine oil.

Those riveted pins can be ground off and punched out and replaced with bolts. You will figure it out.

Now you tell me ! I spent a couple of hundred on a new one.
I'll refurbish the old as a spare.
Thanks mate

southace
SA, 4758 posts
13 Nov 2019 4:11PM
Thumbs Up

The blue ( radar quater) kiwi grip and satin white continues to enhance Icon!

UncleBob
NSW, 1199 posts
13 Nov 2019 5:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

Mate, I had my doubts when you first said what the paint was going to be but so far I reckon it has come up very well.

r13
NSW, 1427 posts
13 Nov 2019 6:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
UncleBob said..

southace said..

Mate, I had my doubts when you first said what the paint was going to be but so far I reckon it has come up very well.

Better than new, sublime job all round right there with windows, cabin sides and non-skid. Have to remember that non-skid paint and colour it will suit us perfectly.

southace
SA, 4758 posts
13 Nov 2019 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

Just had enough energy to stain the teak hence the more pics! I will polish the Staunton posts tomorrow and then start the port side.
I think I'm getting the hang of the application kiwi grip.
The trick is to dollop on with a large serving spoon then trowel out and then roll hard with the special roller. I think using colours it would be worth using a base coat first with the same colour, I used 2 litres for that deck run, it's now rock solid.

Why did you have doubts uncle bob because the peanut gallery didn't agree with my methods?

woko
NSW, 1514 posts
13 Nov 2019 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

I think from memory the peanut gallery had doubts about the water based enamel you proposed to use ? But hey we will never know till someone has a go. An yeah icon looks great

Concepcion
SA, 93 posts
14 Nov 2019 2:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
Just had enough energy to stain the teak hence the more pics! I will polish the Staunton posts tomorrow and then start the port side.
The trick is to dollop on with a large serving spoon then trowel out and then roll hard with the special roller. I think using colours it would be worth using a base coat first with the same colour, I used 2 litres for that deck run, it's now rock solid.

Why did you have doubts uncle bob because the peanut gallery didn't agree with my methods?

Very ...dare I say it ICON o CLASSY mate

UncleBob
NSW, 1199 posts
14 Nov 2019 5:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

Hey, the peanut gallery didn't form my opinion I did. I admit to being doubtful about the water based but figured you had it worked out, and I thought the satin finish might be a bit, ahh, understated for the job. but from the pics it looks quite classy.

southace
SA, 4758 posts
14 Nov 2019 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
UncleBob said..

southace said..

Hey, the peanut gallery didn't form my opinion I did. I admit to being doubtful about the water based but figured you had it worked out, and I thought the satin finish might be a bit, ahh, understated for the job. but from the pics it looks quite classy.

I make a living cut n polishing gelcoat white boats, most 42 footers above the waterline take around 30 hours to get a gloss back that will last only a year or two.
Two pack is the way to go yes if you spray it but impossible while living aboard and in a marina.
Also being glass over ply I'm happy that I have coated it with epoxy undercoat and then the paint systems I have used.
I have since been informed there is a satin white 2 pack on the market that may be more durable than the aqua trim I used , but still I'm happy with what I used on this yacht and considering kiwi grip is also water based I'm happy to have the whole job uniform. I recon I will get 5 years without a problem and just a hose of with wash and wax. ??

southace
SA, 4758 posts
14 Nov 2019 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

Jokes aside I got the bow section sanded and tapped with a coat of epoxy undercoat on. Have a new 4"solar vent on order and I'm feeling the colour is matching better as the kiwi grip drys.

southace
SA, 4758 posts
15 Nov 2019 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

Almost looks the same as the last post minus the tape ! White stuff done, now the reverse masking job to stick the radar quater blue on. Then head down the port side. I can see a light in at the end of tunnel.

southace
SA, 4758 posts
19 Nov 2019 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

I almost have Blue and white decks and cabins!

Bundeenabuoy
NSW, 1239 posts
19 Nov 2019 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

Congratulations
A hell of a job
Is there a secret to getting the corners rounded?

southace
SA, 4758 posts
19 Nov 2019 6:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bundeenabuoy said..
Congratulations
A hell of a job
Is there a secret to getting the corners rounded?

Protractor which I have miss placed somewhere and Fine line tape . Kiwi grip has been a new learning challenge but now I got a grip on the applacation technecis, it's rather stressful!

southace
SA, 4758 posts
19 Nov 2019 10:28PM
Thumbs Up

I've complete some miles again!

southace
SA, 4758 posts
23 Nov 2019 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

Icon finally got her new solar fan today, the measurements and the inventive screw line pencil circle worked a treat!

Look at the colour difference the kiwi grip changed once dried, just how I wanted it! ??

I

southace
SA, 4758 posts
23 Nov 2019 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

It appears I'm the only one that works on boats! ??

NowandZen
WA, 384 posts
23 Nov 2019 5:42PM
Thumbs Up

Deck looks great SA.

southace
SA, 4758 posts
23 Nov 2019 8:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NowandZen said..
Deck looks great SA.

It's the way it should be.

Lazzz
NSW, 857 posts
24 Nov 2019 9:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

Nah mate, I'm doing boring stuff at the moment like painting!!

southace
SA, 4758 posts
24 Nov 2019 9:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lazzz said..

southace said..

I just worked out after re-reading the instructions to the solar fan that there's a green water damper which when shipped it was closed, fan working much better now! , that's 40 mins of my day now back to port side epoxy windows and painting!

UncleBob
NSW, 1199 posts
24 Nov 2019 10:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

Lazzz said..

southace said..

I just worked out after re-reading the instructions to the solar fan that there's a green water damper which when shipped it was closed, fan working much better now! , that's 40 mins of my day now back to port side epoxy windows and painting!

Hi, is that a Nicro vent? or some other brand that is similar.

southace
SA, 4758 posts
24 Nov 2019 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
UncleBob said..

southace said..

Lazzz said..

southace said..

Hi no the 4" nicro is no longer available only 3" so I had to change brands to marinco 4" which is the substitute brand , still required some enlarging of the deck hole!

UncleBob
NSW, 1199 posts
24 Nov 2019 12:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

UncleBob said..

southace said..

Lazzz said..

southace said..

Hi no the 4" nicro is no longer available only 3" so I had to change brands to marinco 4" which is the substitute brand , still required some enlarging of the deck hole!

Thanks, I was kinda hopeful that another brand had popped up.

southace
SA, 4758 posts
24 Nov 2019 12:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
UncleBob said..

southace said..

UncleBob said..

southace said..

Lazzz said..

southace said..

Thanks, I was kinda hopeful that another brand had popped up.

This model screws into the deck mount and a optional green water cap can be fitted when offshore.

southace
SA, 4758 posts
25 Nov 2019 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

Ground out the windows , epoxied and faired over the past 3 days now ready for grout of fixtech and then the paint applications! The light at the end of a long tunnel I can see!

boty
QLD, 685 posts
26 Nov 2019 12:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

not at all mate but as I do it for a job I don't want to put stuff up and use it as advertising

southace
SA, 4758 posts
26 Nov 2019 5:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
boty said..

southace said..

not at all mate but as I do it for a job I don't want to put stuff up and use it as advertising

I do it for a profession as well, but still manage to get stuff done on my old girl not advertising just sharing progress. I have spent 6 hours on the buff today on a clients boat and now don't have the energy to tape up and grout my own windows! And know doubt rain on the weekend!

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin