Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

are Gringo's welcome?

Created by Walrus45 > 9 months ago, 8 Apr 2013
Walrus45
3 posts
8 Apr 2013 10:05PM
Thumbs Up

Hey all,

I'm a Florida kiter, deployed abroad with Uncle Sam's Navy, hoping to get a few days of kite action when I visit western Australia soon.

Are Americans generally well-received here? I always hear about the friendliness of the locals, but it's typically not meant specifically for the kiting community. My philosophy has always been to stay humble, respect the local customs, and go with the flow; but in my limited travel experiences that's not always a guarantee for good relations.

Also, are kite shops around here laid back with lessons and rentals, or is IKO/PASA certification a requirement most everywhere?

I don't know the weather/tidal patterns, best or safest spots, or really anything about the kite culture. Really I'd have to rely entirely on local knowledge to have the kind of memorable experience I'm hoping for. What are my chances?

daddycool
WA, 337 posts
8 Apr 2013 10:31PM
Thumbs Up

100% welcome - lots of kiters, lots of spots, lots of shops - wind depends on when you arrive - Nov- March an afternoon southerly breeze most days - rest of year is less predictable

dafrog
321 posts
10 Apr 2013 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

well the locals will be friendly, you are not from europe.

juicerider
WA, 790 posts
10 Apr 2013 1:30PM
Thumbs Up

Unfortunately you are rite at the end of the season now, and the wind is getting a bit sketchy, If your after lessons and gear, hit up AKS at Scarborough, they do lessons at Pinnarroo point, about half an hour north of Freo. A very friendly vibe on the beach, even the French are welcome.
Leighton is closer to Freo to kite at but not sure if anyone is doing lessons or rentals there. There is a kite shop in Freo called SOS and its run by one of your countrymen so that would be worth checking out.
Dont worry about tides, they are pretty small here, some beaches have a bit of a shore break though. Here is a link to some info WAKSA put out:- www.waksa.org.au/locations/
Sounds like you will fit right in here and have a great time. Enjoy your shore leave

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
10 Apr 2013 1:45PM
Thumbs Up

Walrus45 said...

Awesome bro! Sounds like an amazing time, does the dance troop also perform at aircraft arrivals? I've read in National Geographic they can be frightened off by what they perceive as angry skygods, don't want to miss out and all....

i can see how you get africa and australia mixed up . Both start with a

Walrus45
3 posts
10 Apr 2013 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

dusta said...

i can see how you get africa and australia mixed up . Both start with a

Africa! that was the place with all the wind and cheery locals. ill be sure to check with the navigator and make sure we get to the right continent

Ugly
WA, 205 posts
11 Apr 2013 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
[b]juice even the French are welcome.

Steady on no one likes the french

dafrog
321 posts
11 Apr 2013 10:50PM
Thumbs Up

Steady on no one likes the french