Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

Working in WA

Created by 79Boarder > 9 months ago, 12 May 2012
79Boarder
NSW, 93 posts
12 May 2012 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

Hi,

I am looking for some local knowledge in the Perth area. I have been offered a job in Kwinana for the next 2 years. I need to find a place to live etc. I would like to find somewhere that I can surf, kite and possibly mountain bike(I know I will have to go inland for this.) At the moment I am looking at either Freo or Mandurah? I considered Perth City but it is just too expensive. Is consistent surf in Perth a myth? Should I not bother considering it? Is there a decent windy season in Mandurah?
I have been living in Bunbury for the past 12 months and it has neither so anything is an improvement.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers.

Glug
WA, 106 posts
14 May 2012 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

Working in kwinana you should consider living in safety bay. Rockingham gets a bad rap often called rockingpram for all the single teen mums. But there's excellent kiting at the safety bay yacht club and penguin island. Your not far from secret harbour to the south, which is the best of a reeeeally bad lot for surf in Perth alongside Scarborough and trigg. Get used to weekend trips down south or go to Bali.

Having said that, I'd go freo. Centralized location to go kiting in surf (scarbs) flat (woodies and the river). Great pubs restraunts and atmosphere. Lots of newbies to town use the Norfolk on Fridays as a great way to meet people.

JimJones
QLD, 236 posts
17 May 2012 10:57PM
Thumbs Up

Freo to Safety Bay is only about 30-40 mins drive. I live in Coogee (just sth of Freo) and drive down to Safety Bay all the time (when the bloody wind is blowing).

Comparison as a place to live, if Fremantle was an 8, Rockingham would be a 3.

79Boarder
NSW, 93 posts
18 May 2012 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the replies. I am leaning further towards Freo because it is closer to Perth and probably a little more lively. I don't want to be stuck out in the burbs by myself just so I'm close to work.

Pete.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

"Working in WA" started by 79Boarder