Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

Where are the kiters at Margs?

Created by Bara > 9 months ago, 14 Dec 2015
Bara
WA, 647 posts
14 Dec 2015 10:17AM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys

Just moved down to Margs recently and went to check out mainbreak and thereabouts yesterday with (maybe) 15 knots SW and 3 foot sets - Zero kiters about and on a Sunday arvo too.

Im only 2 seasons in so for now my rule is mostly only kite with others about in new spots in case im missing some trap or whatever.

Seems like there is more wind further North at mo - is that where I should be heading?

Is there some secret spot I dont yet know about down here?

cheers
Bara

mazdon
1196 posts
14 Dec 2015 12:52PM
Thumbs Up

That was "I'd rather do house work" wind for most in Margies.
You will know when it's on. Weather pattern last fortnight has been funky down there, hopefully on the mend though.

Gazuki
WA, 1363 posts
14 Dec 2015 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah be careful kiteing Marg on light winds late arvo as it has a tendency to swing and catch people out.

Bara
WA, 647 posts
14 Dec 2015 1:16PM
Thumbs Up

thanks for replies guys

Safety Bay with only 15 knots still would have seen 40 odd crew out on a sunday so I was a bit surprised/ disappointed.

For me it would have been a good first session there but the lack of crew put me off - maybe it was cos the wind was gonna drop I dunno - forecast was wrong anyway so unless you actually went down there you would have thought it would be only 10 knots or so.

Bit of a bind for intermediate rider options down here it seems. Dont wanna charge big reefies in 30 knots just yet....

PaulyOS
199 posts
14 Dec 2015 3:41PM
Thumbs Up

Try Augusta next time if you're up for a drive :)

nebbian
WA, 6277 posts
14 Dec 2015 3:50PM
Thumbs Up

I hear you Bara,

Same situation: intermediate kiter, first season down here, coast looks pretty gnarly compared to perth.

Take your time, find some friends, don't kite by yourself.

Was talking to a local yesterday and he reckons most crew here his size (80 kegs) are on a 7m which seems pretty damn small to me... Goes to show that they only go out when it's really honking.

Have fun when it's on :-)

Bara
WA, 647 posts
14 Dec 2015 6:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PaulyOS said..

Thanks Pauly yeah kited Augusta week and a bit ago - awesome spot - loved that flat water but 90k round trip gets in the way of it being too regular. Will defo be back when the forecast looks good but SW probably not the right direction im thinking?

Bara
WA, 647 posts
14 Dec 2015 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nebbian said..
I hear you Bara,

Same situation: intermediate kiter, first season down here, coast looks pretty gnarly compared to perth.

Take your time, find some friends, don't kite by yourself.

Was talking to a local yesterday and he reckons most crew here his size (80 kegs) are on a 7m which seems pretty damn small to me... Goes to show that they only go out when it's really honking.

Have fun when it's on :-)

Yeah a 7m kite says it all i guess. my smallest is a 10!

If you want to hook up for a kite one day PM me - Im keen!

someawe
WA, 179 posts
14 Dec 2015 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

You will need a smaller kite -6 or 7m
my biggest is a 9m

blake eddas
WA, 44 posts
17 Dec 2015 7:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bara said..

PaulyOS said..

Thanks Pauly yeah kited Augusta week and a bit ago - awesome spot - loved that flat water but 90k round trip gets in the way of it being too regular. Will defo be back when the forecast looks good but SW probably not the right direction im thinking?

yeah SE is the best for Augusta

Bara
WA, 647 posts
17 Dec 2015 8:43AM
Thumbs Up

Today looks pretty good for Augusta then

ill be giving it a crack this arvo...

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
17 Dec 2015 10:58AM
Thumbs Up

You gotta remember Bara that if the surfs good in the morning, many would have taken that opportunity as the preferred alternative to an arvo kite.

Bara
WA, 647 posts
18 Dec 2015 7:59AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah I would too Bene

Went down to Augusta yest which was gusting up to mid 20s id say. Got there and no kiters. Thought here we go again...

Few crew turned up eventually - around 8 or 9 in the end with most being backpackers. Awesome spot Had a go off the river mouth and in the river - best of both worlds. Getting in the surf is like learning to kite all over again man Im sore today....

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

"Where are the kiters at Margs?" started by Bara