Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

Pole-dancers trying to hit kiters at Brighton

Created by danno > 9 months ago, 9 Jan 2017
danno
WA, 127 posts
9 Jan 2017 8:30AM
Thumbs Up

Hey,
Yesterday, about 3:30, doing usual DW from Flozza to Trigg, passing through Brighton area, transit through the poley-section.
Only three wind-surfers out, and not many kites. I was on port-tack, heading NW, poley was starboard, incoming SE about 50m away. I signalled with my arm I was going to drop down wind, dived my kite and tacked away, down wind from poley's line. He then turned and set a line directly on collision course with me. I had to loop hard to shoot downwind and only just got out the way. The dude then jibed hard just after he passed me, obviously about to try another run at me (we were nowhere near the waves, so no other reason for him to jibe at that time), but screwed his jibe and fell in - kook.....
Just trying to enjoy the ocean, and I'm always as courteous as I can during transit through that section, yet he still wanted to have a go......
I've heard of this sort of **** before from poleys down there - any suggestions on how this has been addressed in the past?
Have not posted on the poley's section of this website to not antagonise it just yet.
Cheers.

Sparky
WA, 1121 posts
9 Jan 2017 2:43PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Danno,
it seems to be the only 200m bit of coastline that they use for a few kms. I normally stay out to sea and give them space over that one stretch.

THE PIN PULLER
WA, 465 posts
9 Jan 2017 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

I find sneaking up behind them the grabbing their boom and pulling at it... that really gets them going :-)

Gazuki
WA, 1363 posts
9 Jan 2017 4:00PM
Thumbs Up

Times like that I always remember what Grandad used to say; "When in doubt, knock em out"

marno
WA, 218 posts
9 Jan 2017 7:51PM
Thumbs Up

Give the guy a break, can you imagine how boring windsurfing would be? He was just after a distraction from mowing the lawn.

psychojoe
WA, 1804 posts
9 Jan 2017 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
danno said..
, transit through the poley-section.
. I signalled with my arm

here's 2 of your problems
there was no need to transit through.
Nobody understands arm signals.

That said. You could have come up behind him and dived your kite to knock his mast over.
I've only done it by accident, but it seems like a way to deal with angry poleys

THE PIN PULLER
WA, 465 posts
10 Jan 2017 2:05PM
Thumbs Up

I like to grab there boom after they give me **** for jumping over them :-) I knock great banter from one of the locals. probably just got a grumpy old ****er

Mainbreak
34 posts
11 Jan 2017 8:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
danno said..
Hey,
Yesterday, about 3:30, doing usual DW from Flozza to Trigg, passing through Brighton area, transit through the poley-section.
Only three wind-surfers out, and not many kites. I was on port-tack, heading NW, poley was starboard, incoming SE about 50m away. I signalled with my arm I was going to drop down wind, dived my kite and tacked away, down wind from poley's line. He then turned and set a line directly on collision course with me. I had to loop hard to shoot downwind and only just got out the way. The dude then jibed hard just after he passed me, obviously about to try another run at me (we were nowhere near the waves, so no other reason for him to jibe at that time), but screwed his jibe and fell in - kook.....
Just trying to enjoy the ocean, and I'm always as courteous as I can during transit through that section, yet he still wanted to have a go......
I've heard of this sort of **** before from poleys down there - any suggestions on how this has been addressed in the past?
Have not posted on the poley's section of this website to not antagonise it just yet.
Cheers.

I got to the beach at Scarborough at 3:30 I saw at least 8 guys out. I find your dramatic little tale a bit hard to believe. Windsurfers are used to sailing close to each other they don't have to worry about 30m of string in the way. Maybe your a little paranoid? or like a bit of drama? If he wanted to take you out he could have done that easily, your heroic kite dive and tack wouldn't have saved you, which is why I find your story hard to believe. Hand signal's don't work I don't look closely at some one just to look out for signals. There are rules of right of way stick to them and hold your course. As another poster mentioned its a 200m zone, just go around no big deal. Yet all the D.D's (downwind d1ckheads) want to kite through and put on a little show

danno
WA, 127 posts
11 Jan 2017 12:22PM
Thumbs Up

Mainbreak you di*khead keyboard warrior

I was about 300 - 400m offshore - well outside the 200m zone you're on about. I was going around the back - this guy was way offshore, not near the waves at all. Some of the poleys mow the lawn halfway to Rotto - no ****ing way to go around them all without starting a port tack from the dog-beach.

I did follow the right of way rules, if you read my post - I dropped downwind as I was on port tack....

Been kiting about 10 years, been kiting near pole-dancers for years, know what the **** I'm talking about and this was definitely something intentional, different from any other close pass I've ever been involved in, hence wouldn't have posted it otherwise.

JoeMc
WA, 97 posts
11 Jan 2017 12:42PM
Thumbs Up

Gotta say I agree with Danno on this one. Cant see he did anything wrong and some clown trys to run him over. Cant see that he's being dramatic either.

Danno - Post a description if you can so we can watch out for him.

Zed
WA, 1243 posts
11 Jan 2017 2:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
danno said..
Mainbreak you di*khead keyboard warrior

I was about 300 - 400m offshore - well outside the 200m zone you're on about. I was going around the back - this guy was way offshore, not near the waves at all. Some of the poleys mow the lawn halfway to Rotto - no ****ing way to go around them all without starting a port tack from the dog-beach.

I did follow the right of way rules, if you read my post - I dropped downwind as I was on port tack....

Been kiting about 10 years, been kiting near pole-dancers for years, know what the **** I'm talking about and this was definitely something intentional, different from any other close pass I've ever been involved in, hence wouldn't have posted it otherwise.

Sounds like the guy was a dick and/or had enough of moronic kiters. You sound like you know what you're doing, but for every competent kiter, you have 2 that have NFI. And it eventually it f*cks you off hence the reason I rarely sail where there are kiters and the spots I do sail, the kiting ability is pretty good, as opposed to the metro area which is a complete clusterf*ck. No excuse for his behaviour though. If he's getting that irate on the water, he needs to find somewhere else to sail or another hobby. Also hand signals problem don't work, good idea, but I'd imagine 90% of people wouldn't see or understand. If I saw a poley acting like that, I'd have a word and I'd expect you guys to reciprocate. A dick is a dick whether he's on a windsurfer, kite, surfboard etc etc

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
11 Jan 2017 10:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mainbreak said..

Windsurfers are used to sailing close to each other

Really! Why do they cry so much when I jump around in their general vicinity, much more than 30m away?

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

"Pole-dancers trying to hit kiters at Brighton" started by danno