Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

Pinnaroo Point through the years

Created by KiteBud > 9 months ago, 5 Oct 2015
KiteBud
WA, 1515 posts
5 Oct 2015 9:18PM
Thumbs Up

Here's a quick edit of a collection of kitesurfing Satellite images of Pinnaroo Point from 2008 till the end of last season.

Some of you may even be able to recognize your kites if you watch in HD and full screen.

touch107fm
WA, 77 posts
6 Oct 2015 7:25AM
Thumbs Up

Was expecting to see more coastal erosion, big chunk taken in 2014.

No sign of my lost go pro from 2013 : (

jamesperth
WA, 610 posts
6 Oct 2015 9:23PM
Thumbs Up

Hey so I was chatting to a couple of beach goers recently who said once upon a time the Pinaroo Point sandbar went right out to the islands and they use to sail catamarans regularly on the Lee side. You could drive right out on the beach to launch. How things change huh.

MDSXR6T
WA, 1019 posts
7 Oct 2015 11:39AM
Thumbs Up

My old man used to take me fishing there in the mid-late 80's and it was never like that. You could launch a small boat (same style of ramp on the north side of trigg island) and i remember driving on the beach but definitely no sand bar!

The 1st time i kited there i got there early in the arvo and there was a bloke pleasuring himself. Some things don't change!

ste
WA, 499 posts
7 Oct 2015 1:27PM
Thumbs Up

Some bloke practicing the skin flute

mazdon
1196 posts
8 Oct 2015 9:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jamesperth said..
Hey so I was chatting to a couple of beach goers recently who said once upon a time the Pinaroo Point sandbar went right out to the islands and they use to sail catamarans regularly on the Lee side. You could drive right out on the beach to launch. How things change huh.

i've seen some aerial photos starting from 1950 in that area and have never seen a fully exposed sand bar out to the island - though there was definitely more sand around the island back in the day so maybe it was just much much shaller than now. funny how either memory changes perspective, or there was some crazy inter-annual variation between the decades of the photos.

i'll see if i can scan the 1950s photo and post here some day.

hey christian - where are your satellite ones from? nearmap have a good record over that time too.

Gustyas
61 posts
11 Oct 2015 9:09AM
Thumbs Up

pure adrenaline

SugarQube
WA, 490 posts
11 Oct 2015 10:14AM
Thumbs Up

In the first years of kite surfing @ Pinnaroo that would be 1999-2000 max 10 guys some comming up from Scarbs for some company and probably 4 years before the school moved in and claimed the beach we probably had 2 x line length of beach between the waters edge and the vegitation, now, old established wattle etc is being washed away

ste
WA, 499 posts
11 Oct 2015 3:02PM
Thumbs Up

The sand comes and goes dependent on weather and fronts, you speak to people that have been in Perth all there lives and swear some beach's have got bigger and wider?

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

"Pinnaroo Point through the years" started by KiteBud