Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

Pinnaroo Point - proposed licensed restaurant, function centre and bar (2 storey / 913sm)

Created by WACruizer > 9 months ago, 16 Nov 2020
WACruizer
117 posts
8 Dec 2022 1:07PM
Thumbs Up

Pinnaroo Point Beach - Cafe/Restaurant 20 John Wilkie Tarn HILLARYS WA 6025
Ward: South West
Lot 501 DP 417135
Land Area: 0.09 Hectares

Building Permits
BPC22/1793
Category: Certified Building Permit Applications
Description: BEACH CLUB
Lodged:25/11/2022
Builders Registration No.: 12952 Estimated Cost of Work: $ 4,000,000
Determination Date: 01/12/2022
Stage Decision: Building Permit Issued

Zone(s):
Density:
MRS - Parks and Recreation

Construction has commenced

hosh
WA, 236 posts
14 Jan 2023 6:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
flyer100 said..
Thanks WAC,
looks like it's the same punters who own Iluka and Mullaz hotel.
Personally I think it stinks that the lazy arse joondalup council didn't keep the proposed site as a well maintained grass area with a bit of shade thrown in around summer time.Heaps of families use the grassed area's there during the season.
But it's the old story of money talks ,and these brain dead vacuum's called councils will take a dollar of anybody they can, to justify their existence and try and stay relevant.I mean geez,there's only 50 plus eateries just south at Hillary's,but anyway.
As long as we can get a parking spot, Kite ,Wing , and Pole I don't give a rats.
The problem will be when these Two Capo's start wanting to change more rules which effect the wind community.
ie -extend the dog beach further north to the gate entrance at pinnaroo point.
(Apparently there was a bloke down at the gated entrance espousing just that !!)on Australia day. My source seems to think it was one of the owners of the proposed cafe.(had signage of whatever emblazoned on his car.(parked right at the gate by the way-Rangers?where are you?
Can't see the two kite schools taking that laying down.
The problem with these things is you don't see the real impact until it's to late.
If it's done right ,it may add something to the area,but if they cock it up and it just becomes another shiny Mullaz beach hotel in the bush where Barry bogan and his missus can sit and watch a sunset, and we lose our parking and sporting venue?,then that will start a ****fight.
Can't wait for the rangers to start telling all the Big Maori Families that BBq and picnic down there in the summer that they can't have a beer with their lunch because of the licensed venue that's there now.Hahahaha

Once again ,council haste to make a buck!(or possibly one councilor ,now with a fatter wallet) without really considering the hugely diverse range of people that utilize that area for all manner of different reasons.

Not everybody wants to gorge themselves on high priced, Slob food and beer, in a building.......,Wes & Ryan.!
Good luck and I hope you like all your new neighbors.....

Flags possibly coming to the polie area in the future Flyer. They're going to do whatever they can to maximise profit.

riviere
WA, 74 posts
18 Jan 2023 8:20AM
Thumbs Up

exactly totally agree Hosh
FIRST /will be the flags in the polie area or slightly downwind, wich will be right in front of the building...
THEN /will have some swimmers and beach goers probably complaining there s not enough room in water or on sand or worried about the safety aspect of foils maybe, wether it s kite, wings or polies...
THEN/ will have , in case they r asked to move slighthly downwind for their launch, angry wingers or windsurfers...
THEN/ will have the possibility unfortunetaly that some students from either schools may end up in the flag zone...
THEN/ will have the council under pressure because of repetitive complaints from owner, managment, patrons etc...
THEN/ will have the inevitable erosion effect of that fantastic long time good vibes atmosphere at pinarroo in between any riders...
THEN/ will have... ok i m pessimistic.
Hosh what do you reckonn can be done ??

GreenBarrels
18 posts
18 Jan 2023 9:07AM
Thumbs Up

Hasn't Pinnaroo been allocated/licensed/designated as a kiteboarding learning area by the council for years now?
You reckon they'll go "too bad, so sad, get out" and put swimming flags up?
I guess that could be a rhetorical question knowing the shenanigans performed by councils...
Most people I know enjoy the site of kites buzzing around on the water. I would have thought if this new venue is two story most patrons would enjoy the view and it would be a bit of a draw card for the venue.
Maybe the case could be made to keep access prioritised for the windsports partly on that basis (as well as long standing traditional use).

In any case, surely competition with swimmers would be minimal?
Only boneheads want to go in the water for a swim when the seabreeze is ripping and blowing sand around.

flyer100
21 posts
20 Jan 2023 9:58AM
Thumbs Up

Plenty of boneheads there Green barrels.
Most of them carrying fishing rods and trying to cast into 30 knot Sou'Wester

hosh
WA, 236 posts
17 Feb 2023 10:47AM
Thumbs Up

All happening now Flyer, Won't be long and the slab will be down.

flyer100
21 posts
20 Feb 2023 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

Already down.!!
Second storey to come

hosh
WA, 236 posts
9 Mar 2023 8:41AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
flyer100 said..
Already down.!!
Second storey to come

Not another concrete goal monstrosity. Hope it will have some character.

hosh
WA, 236 posts
10 Mar 2023 10:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hosh said..

flyer100 said..
Already down.!!
Second storey to come

Not another concrete goal monstrosity. Hope it will have some character.

Jail not goal

WACruizer
117 posts
8 May 2023 12:38PM
Thumbs Up

Related topic: City of Joondalup Coastal Hazard Risk Management Adaptation Plan - CHRMAP 2023-2033
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Western-Australia/City-of-Joondalup-Coastal-Hazard-Risk-Management-Adaptation-Plan-CHRMAP-2023-2033?page=1

KiteBud
WA, 1515 posts
9 May 2023 8:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WACruizer said..
Related topic: City of Joondalup Coastal Hazard Risk Management Adaptation Plan - CHRMAP 2023-2033
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Western-Australia/City-of-Joondalup-Coastal-Hazard-Risk-Management-Adaptation-Plan-CHRMAP-2023-2033?page=1

Thanks for sharing this. Pretty scary if you ask me.

From what I understand, it looks like groynes could be built as early as 2025 North and South of Pinnaroo Point.

I could not find any information about the groyne numbers they refer to in the document, so I just assumed that Groyne #1 is the southernmost one and groyne #11 is the northernmost one just before the groyne #1 in Mullaloo at the very top of the image

flyer100
21 posts
10 May 2023 7:43PM
Thumbs Up

Seriously,how much more rubbish does this shire,"the shire of joondalup" want to push on this pristine coastal beach ??
Unfortunately these pinheads come straight out of university with stars in their eyes about changing the world.
You only have to look at what happened last time they had a brain fade and spent $300K on their poly fencing.Mother nature just came along in winter,ripped it all away and deposited a very expensive ball of rubbish just off the point.
The best bit is,the retarded folk at the council had another go the following year with the same result !!!

They will not be happy until they have covered the entire area with signs,have 10 different reasons to issue a fine,do whatever it takes to keep justifying their role ...... and generally just wasting a **** tonne of money , as they dont seem to be accountable to anyone.

JUST LEAVE THE PLACE ALONE .
I've been coming here since the 80's when you could 4x4 on pinnaroo up to mullaloo ,and every year its the same.
Sand disappears in winter..... and like magic, reappears in the summer, like it has for the last 45 years that i've witnessed.

Im sure they'd be blokes in their 70's and 80's that have probably seen the same thing ,just for longer,
If it ain't broke,.....don't fix it.

The only thing that is a coastal hazard is The City of Joondalup !!!

WACruizer
117 posts
11 May 2023 10:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

riviere
WA, 74 posts
12 May 2023 3:30PM
Thumbs Up

oh no, here we go again , another smart idea popping up...you gotta be kidding me. thanks christian for posting. on my " then we ll have... " list, from a previous post about pinaz CP developpment , i didn t think about rock groynes being placed on that stretch of coast, and that s not good news at all...
totally agree with flyer, the sand disappears in the winter and comes back by magic in summmer to provide a miraculous paradise beach to anyone.
yes, you ARE god d... right flyer, LEAVE THE PLACE ALONE;
pinaz for ever, and VIVA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

KiteBud
WA, 1515 posts
12 May 2023 4:20PM
Thumbs Up

Yes, there is winter erosion and in the summer the sands comes back... But over the last 35 years the beach has gotten a lot narrower.

Regardless of the data and the research, anyone who has been coming to Pinnaroo for more than 10 years would have noticed an obvious difference. The difference would be even more obvious for anyone who has seen Pinnaroo 30 or 40 years ago! The beach used to be 2x to 3x wider!

(Source: maps.dea.ga.gov.au/story/DEACoastlines)

I'm not an expert about beach erosion management so I won't comment on that or on what decisions are best to take, but It's obvious to me that if absolutely nothing is done, eventually there will be little to no beach there.

Christian

Gakange
WA, 15 posts
12 May 2023 4:29PM
Thumbs Up

I'm not in favour of groynes either, but nobody can dispute that the dunes have been eroded. I wrote to the CoJ two years ago after the dunes were eroded by 1.5m. since then they have eroded a further 2m. Yes, the sand goes and comes back but not to the extent you imagine. At the Northern end of Mullaloo is where the sand gets dumped, that observation deck they built years ago, was under the sand the last time I was down that way. Something has to be done, are groynes the answer ??? but building boat harbours in my opinion makes things worse. If they do go with groynes, which seems highly likely, perhaps it would be better to have one at each end of the kite beach. Is there a way to approach CoJ on this matter

WACruizer
117 posts
13 May 2023 5:14PM
Thumbs Up

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Western-Australia/City-of-Joondalup-Coastal-Hazard-Risk-Management-Adaptation-Plan-CHRMAP-2023-2033#2821848:~:text=%5B%20Direct%20Link%20Post%20%5D

Sadly, it appears that WA Govt. guidelines for sea level rise are well out of date:

Ref 1: www.wa.gov.au/government/publications/wa-coastal-zone-strategy
Ref 2 www.wa.gov.au/system/files/2021-07/CST-WA_Coastal_Zone_Strategy.pdf
Ref 3 www.wa.gov.au/system/files/2021-07/CST-WA_Coastal_Zone_Strategy_summary_brochure_web.pdf
Ref 4 www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/marine/MAC_R_SeaLevelChangeInWesternAustraliaReport.pdf

Extract from Ref 2:
"The WA Government has adopted 0.9 metres for sea level rise over a 100-year planning timeframe for future coastal development"
It appears that the out-dated source for this information is Ref 4:

Ref 4 (02/02/2010 DoT) extract:
It is recommended that this advice be reviewed when the IPCC Working Group I contribution to the Fifth Assessment Report is finalised (currently scheduled for 2013).

The IPCC has released Assessment Reports 5 and 6 since these guidelines found their way into government policy.

WACruizer
117 posts
13 May 2023 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Western-Australia/City-of-Joondalup-Coastal-Hazard-Risk-Management-Adaptation-Plan-CHRMAP-2023-2033?page=1#4

As stated in the WA Gov. guidelines - minimization of risk to public funds is of primary concern when approving new developments.
In the case of Pinnaroo Point, a major "beneficiary" to proposed protection works is the PRIVATE Hillary Beach Club (under construction).

WACruizer
117 posts
13 May 2023 8:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cbulota said..
Yes, there is winter erosion and in the summer the sands comes back... But over the last 35 years the beach has gotten a lot narrower.

Regardless of the data and the research, anyone who has been coming to Pinnaroo for more than 10 years would have noticed an obvious difference. The difference would be even more obvious for anyone who has seen Pinnaroo 30 or 40 years ago! The beach used to be 2x to 3x wider!

(Source: maps.dea.ga.gov.au/story/DEACoastlines)

I'm not an expert about beach erosion management so I won't comment on that or on what decisions are best to take, but It's obvious to me that if absolutely nothing is done, eventually there will be little to no beach there.

Christian

Note how busy the carpark is in the photo - BEFORE the HBC.

Gakange
WA, 15 posts
14 May 2023 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

Ref: www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/marine/MAC_R_SeaLevelChangeInWesternAustraliaReport.pdf
Even if the WA Government guidelines for sea level rise are out of date, refer to Fig 6 on Page 7 and the data shows the mean tide gauge recordings at Hillarys have increased showing the level is higher by about 100mm. The damage to the beach and dunes at Pinnaroo are probably due to storm surge as shown in Table 2 on Page 8. I find the data interesting even though this is not my field.

WACruizer
117 posts
15 May 2023 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

Whilst it is great to see plenty of general discussion about coastal processes with respect to the CoJ CHRMAP 2023-2033, it is mildly off-topic for this forum.

I have created a NEW TOPIC under Kitesurfing / WA for this subject: City of Joondalup - Coastal Hazard Risk Management Adaptation Plan - CHRMAP 2023-2033
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/Western-Australia/City-of-Joondalup-Coastal-Hazard-Risk-Management-Adaptation-Plan-CHRMAP-2023-2033-2?page=1#5

WACruizer
117 posts
20 May 2023 5:59PM
Thumbs Up

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/Western-Australia/City-of-Joondalup-Coastal-Hazard-Risk-Management-Adaptation-Plan-CHRMAP-2023-2033-2?page=1#6

The City of Joondalup meeting of council 23/05/2023 has several items of critical interest, especially for local kiters and wingers.

Agenda:
api.joondalup.wa.gov.au/files/councilmeetings/2023/230523_CNL_AGN.pdfAddendum: api.joondalup.wa.gov.au/files/councilmeetings/2023/230523_CNL_Addendum%20Agenda.pdf

WACruizer
117 posts
22 May 2023 12:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WACruizer said..
Pinnaroo Point Beach - Cafe/Restaurant 20 John Wilkie Tarn HILLARYS WA 6025
Ward: South West
Lot 501 DP 417135
Land Area: 0.09 Hectares

Building Permits
BPC22/1793
Category: Certified Building Permit Applications
Description: BEACH CLUB
Lodged:25/11/2022
Builders Registration No.: 12952 Estimated Cost of Work: $ 4,000,000
Determination Date: 01/12/2022
Stage Decision: Building Permit Issued

Zone(s):
Density:
MRS - Parks and Recreation

Construction has commenced

2022 Unknown source:
"Sandgate and the City progressed with determining leasing information and a discrepancy in the building envelope was uncovered."

WACruizer
117 posts
6 Jun 2023 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WACruizer said..

Sponsored Facebook advertisement by Ian Goodenough Federal MP
"Thank you to Mario Sequeira of Hospitality Total Services, Derrick D'Souza, and Tim Leech and Claire Leech of White Salt for inviting me..." (also pictured Ian 2nd on left + CoJ CR Christine Hamilton-Prime 3rd from right, MLA for Hillarys Caitlin Collins 2nd from right).

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

"Pinnaroo Point - proposed licensed restaurant, function centre and bar (2 storey / 913sm)" started by WACruizer