Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

Pinnaroo Point - proposed licensed restaurant, function centre and bar (2 storey / 913sm)

Created by WACruizer > 9 months ago, 16 Nov 2020
WACruizer
117 posts
16 Nov 2020 11:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BRIEFING SESSION INFORMATION - 10/11/2020
api.joondalup.wa.gov.au/files/councilmeetings/2020/CJ201110_BRF.pdf
CoJ Agenda for the Briefing Session held on 10 November 2020 provides background, history and recommendations for council. When the Council Meeting agenda is available, it should also contain this information (and perhaps the additional questions I have submitted).

INSTRUCTIONS FOR CONTIBUTION TO COUNCIL MEETING
www.joondalup.wa.gov.au/kb/resident/council-meetings-agendas-and-minutes
The agenda for the Council Meeting being held on 17 November 2020 will be published on the City's public website after 4.00pm on Friday 13 November 2020. If you are interested in attending the Council Meeting on Tuesday 17 November 2020, please register your interest to do so from 9.00am on Tuesday morning (we are unable to accept registrations earlier than this time) by either sending an email to council.questions@joondalup.wa.gov.au or phoning 9400 4313. This is also the process to follow if you would like to ask 2 questions at the meeting or make a 2 minute statement. Further information regarding public question time and public statement time can be found on the City's public website. The registration process is in place due to the seating restrictions in the Council Chamber the City has in place due to COVID-19. Further information regarding this can be found at www.joondalup.wa.gov.au/kb/resident/attendance-at-meetings-during-covid-19.

Also posted:
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Western-Australia/Pinnaroo-Point-proposed-licensed-restaurant--function-centre-and-bar--2-storey-913sm-?page=1#10

Gazuki
WA, 1363 posts
16 Nov 2020 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

Nothing like a crowd to make you want to send it!

How epic, misses can come to the beach too, have kite, dinner, drinks...win win!

CH3MTR4IL5
WA, 747 posts
16 Nov 2020 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

or she can drop you off when there's no longer any parking available and it becomes like brighton...

psychojoe
WA, 1804 posts
17 Nov 2020 4:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CH3MTR4IL5 said..
or she can drop you off when there's no longer any parking available and it becomes like brighton...

Less parking = locals only. Win win win.

WACruizer
117 posts
19 Nov 2020 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

City of Joondalup - Kitesurfing - www.joondalup.wa.gov.au/kb/resident/kitesurfing
...the City has established a {READ: THE ONLY} designated kitesurfing area and exclusion zones to ensure the safety of all beach users.
...Rigging, launching and landing activities at Mullaloo must be undertaken within the designated kitesurfing area located between the exclusion zones

City of Joondalup - Mullaloo Beach
www.joondalup.wa.gov.au/place/mullaloo-beach
"Mullaloo Beach is a popular swimming beach..."
The City avoids any suggestion of kitesurfing at Mullaloo Beach.

City of Joondalup - Mullaloo kitesurfing exclusion zones
www.joondalup.wa.gov.au/kb/resident/mullaloo-exclusion-zones
Heading text and map implies there is no designated kitesurfing area at Mullaloo, only exclusion zones.

City of Joondalup - Pinnaroo Point
www.joondalup.wa.gov.au/place/pinnaroo-point
There is NO DESIGNATED KITESURFING AREA AT PINNAROO

CH3MTR4IL5
WA, 747 posts
26 Nov 2020 10:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WACruizer said..
City of Joondalup - Kitesurfing - www.joondalup.wa.gov.au/kb/resident/kitesurfing
...the City has established a {READ: THE ONLY} designated kitesurfing area and exclusion zones to ensure the safety of all beach users.
...Rigging, launching and landing activities at Mullaloo must be undertaken within the designated kitesurfing area located between the exclusion zones

City of Joondalup - Mullaloo Beach
www.joondalup.wa.gov.au/place/mullaloo-beach
"Mullaloo Beach is a popular swimming beach..."
The City avoids any suggestion of kitesurfing at Mullaloo Beach.

City of Joondalup - Mullaloo kitesurfing exclusion zones
www.joondalup.wa.gov.au/kb/resident/mullaloo-exclusion-zones
Heading text and map implies there is no designated kitesurfing area at Mullaloo, only exclusion zones.

City of Joondalup - Pinnaroo Point
www.joondalup.wa.gov.au/place/pinnaroo-point
There is NO DESIGNATED KITESURFING AREA AT PINNAROO

...whats your point? there is no 'designated kitesurfing areas' along most of the coastline. so what?

WACruizer
117 posts
27 Nov 2020 12:04AM
Thumbs Up

The intent of the facility is to attract more visitors. A percentage of these visitors will go to the beach and or swim. Should this occur, the City has a formula:
CoJ: "Only highly conflicting activities will be subject to exclusion zones, license requirements or designated areas."

It seems apparent that launching and landing of kites would be subject to restrictions with increased beach activity.

CH3MTR4IL5
WA, 747 posts
27 Nov 2020 2:58PM
Thumbs Up

True. But with waterskiing, dogs, horses all permitted at the point the whole area is fairly multi use and ticks all of the other highly conflicting activities, and the spot where this development is proposed is not too far from the exclusion zone to the north.

catalogue.data.wa.gov.au/dataset/96f5afa2-c25e-4b46-99f3-9ca3480d9b21/resource/bc96ab85-d02a-49c1-9fcb-5b9942fd39b4/download/02-joondalup.pdf

Map 8 is a good summary.

i would be happy with just a byo licence for the patch of grass, fish and chips and a beer without the premium prices...!

psychojoe
WA, 1804 posts
27 Nov 2020 6:19PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like it's time for KWA to press CoJ to designate a permanent kitesurfing zone. I mean f*$k, the council gives beaches to dogs, surely kiters are not viewed as a lower form of life.

Lorgra
WA, 215 posts
30 Nov 2020 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

As a local at Pinnaroo, I've found that as soon as the wind comes in the people sitting on the beach or using a jetski leave anyway and it's just the kiters and windsurfers out on the water.
Doesn't seem many of the other kiters seem fussed what happens after I posted on our facebook page what is happening.
What I don't understand is with the Ocean Reef Mariner being upgraded, why do we need more pubs and restaurants in the area.

Lorgra
WA, 215 posts
30 Nov 2020 12:39PM
Thumbs Up

And when you go down there on a hot day the place is full of people having BBQ's and picnics on the grassed area.

So the excuse of putting a facility like that there to attract people is ludicrous.

Someone in the council has a friend with a money.

WACruizer
117 posts
2 Dec 2020 5:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CH3MTR4IL5 said..
True. But with waterskiing, dogs, horses all permitted at the point the whole area is fairly multi use and ticks all of the other highly conflicting activities, and the spot where this development is proposed is not too far from the exclusion zone to the north.

catalogue.data.wa.gov.au/dataset/96f5afa2-c25e-4b46-99f3-9ca3480d9b21/resource/bc96ab85-d02a-49c1-9fcb-5b9942fd39b4/download/02-joondalup.pdf

Map 8 is a good summary.

i would be happy with just a byo licence for the patch of grass, fish and chips and a beer without the premium prices...!

Horses gone. The blue hatched zone near the development is the ski zone. Mullaloo SLSC is nearest exclusion zone.

WACruizer
117 posts
2 Dec 2020 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
psychojoe said..
Sounds like it's time for KWA to press CoJ to designate a permanent kitesurfing zone. I mean f*$k, the council gives beaches to dogs, surely kiters are not viewed as a lower form of life.

KWA (When they were WAKSA) pressed to NOT have designated zones. I can understand their reasoning at the time.

WACruizer
117 posts
2 Dec 2020 5:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lorgra said..
As a local at Pinnaroo, I've found that as soon as the wind comes in the people sitting on the beach or using a jetski leave anyway and it's just the kiters and windsurfers out on the water.
Doesn't seem many of the other kiters seem fussed what happens after I posted on our facebook page what is happening.
What I don't understand is with the Ocean Reef Mariner being upgraded, why do we need more pubs and restaurants in the area.

CoJ meeting audio:
www.joondalup.wa.gov.au/play-audio?url=https://api.joondalup.wa.gov.au/files/councilaudio/17-Nov-2020-22h44-1.mp3%0D&title=Ordinary%20Meeting%2017-Nov-2020
01:01:06 Cr Prime spoke about: Project fits perfectly within the City's Strategic Vision. Described Pinnaroo Point as being pristine coastline. Sought election to develop these {once} pristine coastal areas.
Asserted that "the public are crying out..." for development in these areas.
This motion is about execution of a sub-lease and not the development proposal.
The development {which must occur by the terms of the lease} will...
"activate this under-utilised site".
01:13:26Cr Prime added:
"...car parking (is) always a problem"

So Pinnaroo Point is an under-utilised site which the public are crying out for development, but it has car parking problems (already).

WACruizer
117 posts
2 Dec 2020 5:34PM
Thumbs Up

www.joondalup.wa.gov.au/coastal-survey-outcomes-report-released?nocache=true

The public are NOT crying out for private buildings at this site.

CH3MTR4IL5
WA, 747 posts
2 Dec 2020 8:50PM
Thumbs Up

Repost from windsurfing forum:

Email to the City of Joondalup
I am a resident of Hillarys and a keen windsurfer. It has been brought to my attention that the City of Joondalup are considering putting a cafe kiosk at Pinaroo Point.

I regularly windsurf at Pinnaroo Point and note that during the summer months parking is already strained with the number of beach goers in the mornings followed by windsurfers, kiters and other water sports enthusiasts in the afternoons. There are literally hundreds of people who rely on this spot for our water sports and a large number of us fear that this development will firstly make access impossible and may ultimately lead to a ban on water sports in the area due to crowds and safety of swimmers and beach goers.

As a concerned resident and water sports enthusiast can you please advise how we get involved in the decision making process before it is too late and we lose a very important watersport community zone.

Response from the City of Joondalup
The City of Joondalup Council recently approved a sublease for an area of land north of the existing main car park at Pinnaroo Point, for the purposes of a new food and beverage facility.

There are no plans to remove kitesurfing, windsurfing or other water activities from the area to cater for the new proposal.

The building itself will be subject to the approval of a Development Application by the Western Australian Planning Commission. The Development Application process will likely take place in the new year and will address the operations of the facility, including car parking demand and traffic impacts.

The City will consider options for additional car parking at Pinnaroo Point to cater for any additional demand that may result if the development of the food and beverage facility proceeds.

Regards
Scott Collins
Senior Projects Officer City of Joondalup
Tel: 08 9400 4292
Fax: 08 9300 1383
Email: scott.collins@joondalup.wa.gov.au

psychojoe
WA, 1804 posts
3 Dec 2020 2:11AM
Thumbs Up

Ok. If it's to the north around Whitfords beach it should be ok.
I asked for a fisherman's pier up there back when Col was supreme dictator just to get them all off the beach.
I still like the idea of a well placed pier.

WACruizer
117 posts
3 Dec 2020 3:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
psychojoe said..
Ok. If it's to the north around Whitfords beach it should be ok.
I asked for a fisherman's pier up there back when Col was supreme dictator just to get them all off the beach.
I still like the idea of a well placed pier.

Proposed site: 20 John Wilkie Tarn HILLARYS WA 6025 (Lot 501, Plan Number: DP417135)

Lorgra
WA, 215 posts
7 Dec 2020 3:42PM
Thumbs Up

The original proposal at Pinnaroo was sea containers. Now 2 story building.

At least we now know where the money went from the funding cuts to the upgrades at Heathridge Park went to.

Both junior/senior crick and football clubs and the tennis club have been screaming out for better facilities for years.

Go figure!

MrFreeze
289 posts
12 Dec 2020 11:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WACruizer said..
The intent of the facility is to attract more visitors. A percentage of these visitors will go to the beach and or swim. Should this occur, the City has a formula:
CoJ: "Only highly conflicting activities will be subject to exclusion zones, license requirements or designated areas."

It seems apparent that launching and landing of kites would be subject to restrictions with increased beach activity.

Hmmmmm, fixed it.

WACruizer
117 posts
12 Dec 2020 1:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lorgra said..
The original proposal at Pinnaroo was sea containers. Now 2 story building.

At least we now know where the money went from the funding cuts to the upgrades at Heathridge Park went to.

Both junior/senior crick and football clubs and the tennis club have been screaming out for better facilities for years.

Go figure!

Original Project
FYI, the 2013 "original proposal" was for a Cafe / Kiosk.
Neither a Cafe nor a Kiosk is defined by WA Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage as having a license.

api.joondalup.wa.gov.au/files/councilmeetings/2013/CJ130527_MIN.pdf - P61.
* Kiosk: A small permanent or temporary structure, which is often open on one or more sides and is used to sell items such as hot and cold drinks, pre-packaged sandwiches, heated pies and similar.
* Cafe: An informal restaurant serving food and beverages, having indoor seating and
potentially al fresco seating.

2020 CoJ websites still reference this project as Cafe / Kiosk:-
www.joondalup.wa.gov.au/kb/resident/cafes-kiosks-and-restaurants
"Current investigations include: Cafe/kiosk at Pinnaroo Point"

Cost
Capital works budget 2020/21
Capital Projects 220-04 C1060 CKR - Pinnaroo Point Total $92,111
MPP2006 W3527 Cafes/Kiosks/Restaurants Pinnaroo Point Total $613,000
PEP2792 W3915 Pinnaroo Point Playspace Renewal Total $104,500
RDC2021 W3741 Upgrade remaining section of Whitfords Avenue and existing single lane roundabout Total $1,840,000
STL2052 W3020 Public Open Space and car park poles and lighting Multiple Suburbs Various Reserve Total $100,000

Capital Works Project Report
04/03/2020 Major Projects & Finance Committee, Financial Year 2019/2020
Budget YTD for Period 7 - Project Status to 04-Mar-2020
PFP2066 W3354 Pinnaroo Point Pking Improvements $143,802

03/2020 Corporate Business Plan - 2019/20 Progress Report
PFP2066 Pinnaroo Point Pking Improvements - Project Stage - Project deferred to Future Program

www.joondalup.wa.gov.au/files/councilmeetings/2020/Attach7brf201013.pdf
Fig 20. Service Provision and Project Costs {$0.8millon}
...exclude costs incurred prior to 2019-20

12/2019 YTD $171,162
Does NOT include 2013-2018 spending.

When asked (in writing) about the business case and return on investment CoJ replied that this was not required for projects under $10M.

WACruizer
117 posts
13 Dec 2020 11:16PM
Thumbs Up

www.joondalup.wa.gov.au/files/committees/FINC/2017/FINANCE170404_MIN.pdfITEM 7 BURNS BEACH CAF? / RESTAURANT - PROJECT STATUS P47 "Pinnaroo Point...complex negotiations...potentially resulting in marginal financial benefit to the City"

WACruizer
117 posts
11 Feb 2021 10:33AM
Thumbs Up

CoJ - Policy, Planning and Research
CoJ are formulating a new 10-year-strategic-community-plan.
www.joondalup.wa.gov.au/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Shaping-Your-Local-Community-A5-Flyer.pdf

i) Survey: www.joondalup.wa.gov.au/shaping-your-local-community-developing-a-new-10-year-strategic-community-plan?nocache=true

Representatives from local sporting clubs, community groups can register for a workshop:-
ii) Register for workshop(s): events.joondalup.wa.gov.au/event-calendar/event-registration/?ee=23263

Shaping your local community - Developing a new 10-Year Strategic Community Plan - City of Joondalup
Clubs and Groups North Community Workshop
Monday 15 February 2021, 6.00pm - 8.00pm
Connolly Community Centre5 Glenelg Place, Connolly

Clubs and Groups South Community Workshop
Wednesday 31 March 2021, 6.00pm - 8.00pm
Kingsley Memorial Clubroom
68 Kingsley Drive, Kingsley

beebee
151 posts
11 Feb 2021 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

Yet another precious natural place along our city coastline being sacrificed for greed.
Like we need ANOTHER soulless watering hole filled with twats.
Proposed building looks like **** too.
But **** it. Let's screw up something that is becoming rarer and rarer in the world,
and fill a lot of politicians, developers and their mates pockets wit the almighty dollar.
**** 'em.

Gazuki
WA, 1363 posts
12 Feb 2021 6:42AM
Thumbs Up

Perth metro is a strip of 50km..... We still have 6489km of Barron coast. Learn to enjoy driving if you like isolation, it will only be an hour.

WACruizer
117 posts
12 Feb 2021 12:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WACruizer said..
CoJ - Policy, Planning and Research
CoJ are formulating a new 10-year-strategic-community-plan.
www.joondalup.wa.gov.au/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Shaping-Your-Local-Community-A5-Flyer.pdf

i) Survey: www.joondalup.wa.gov.au/shaping-your-local-community-developing-a-new-10-year-strategic-community-plan?nocache=true

Representatives from local sporting clubs, community groups can register for a workshop:-
ii) Register for workshop(s): events.joondalup.wa.gov.au/event-calendar/event-registration/?ee=23263

Shaping your local community - Developing a new 10-Year Strategic Community Plan - City of Joondalup
Clubs and Groups North Community Workshop
Monday 15 February 2021, 6.00pm - 8.00pm
Connolly Community Centre5 Glenelg Place, Connolly

Clubs and Groups South Community Workshop

CoJ have combined the two sessions into one on 31/03:
events.joondalup.wa.gov.au/event-calendar/event-registration/?ee=23262
Clubs and Groups Community Workshop (representatives from local sporting clubs, community groups, volunteers, cultural and arts groups)

beebee
151 posts
12 Feb 2021 3:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gazuki said..
Perth metro is a strip of 50km..... We still have 6489km of Barron coast. Learn to enjoy driving if you like isolation, it will only be an hour.

My point being that it'sa RARE thing to have such untouched, natural beauty in the middle of a CITY. But of course you missed that point entirely, and are clearly of the "bulldoze it all"opinion.

Keaw Yed.
WA, 200 posts
12 Feb 2021 10:33PM
Thumbs Up

BeeBee

Pinnas is not in the middle of the city.
The proposed site is not actually bush land, it is barren land and has been for years.
Personally I think it's a positive development, love a coffee and a cake by the beach. ??
As Gazuki says go for a little drive and you can have complete isolation.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
14 Feb 2021 3:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CH3MTR4IL5 said..
Repost from windsurfing forum:

Email to the City of Joondalup
I am a resident of Hillarys and a keen windsurfer. It has been brought to my attention that the City of Joondalup are considering putting a cafe kiosk at Pinaroo Point.

I regularly windsurf at Pinnaroo Point and note that during the summer months parking is already strained with the number of beach goers in the mornings followed by windsurfers, kiters and other water sports enthusiasts in the afternoons. There are literally hundreds of people who rely on this spot for our water sports and a large number of us fear that this development will firstly make access impossible and may ultimately lead to a ban on water sports in the area due to crowds and safety of swimmers and beach goers.

As a concerned resident and water sports enthusiast can you please advise how we get involved in the decision making process before it is too late and we lose a very important watersport community zone.

Response from the City of Joondalup
The City of Joondalup Council recently approved a sublease for an area of land north of the existing main car park at Pinnaroo Point, for the purposes of a new food and beverage facility.

There are no plans to remove kitesurfing, windsurfing or other water activities from the area to cater for the new proposal. However that winging thing looks worthy of a total ban

The building itself will be subject to the approval of a Development Application by the Western Australian Planning Commission. The Development Application process will likely take place in the new year and will address the operations of the facility, including car parking demand and traffic impacts.

The City will consider options for additional car parking at Pinnaroo Point to cater for any additional demand that may result if the development of the food and beverage facility proceeds.

Regards
Scott Collins
Senior Projects Officer City of Joondalup
Tel: 08 9400 4292
Fax: 08 9300 1383
Email: scott.collins@joondalup.wa.gov.au

WACruizer
117 posts
22 Feb 2021 2:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Keaw Yed. said..
BeeBee

Pinnas is not in the middle of the city.
The proposed site is not actually bush land, it is barren land and has been for years.
Personally I think it's a positive development, love a coffee and a cake by the beach. ??
As Gazuki says go for a little drive and you can have complete isolation.

api.joondalup.wa.gov.au/files/councilmeetings/2013/CJ130527_MIN.pdf - P61.
* Kiosk: A small permanent or temporary structure, which is often open on one or more sides and is used to sell items such as hot and cold drinks, pre-packaged sandwiches, heated pies and similar.
* Cafe: An informal restaurant serving food and beverages, having indoor seating and
potentially al fresco seating.
There was little opposition to a Cafe / Kiosk where you could get your cake...The proposal is for 913 sq. m. 2 storey building with license, function room and a bar.

KiteBud
WA, 1515 posts
15 Apr 2021 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone has any updates regarding this project ? When I spoked to the CoJ in October 2020 it seems like this was a sure thing and the construction would at least be started during summer.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

"Pinnaroo Point - proposed licensed restaurant, function centre and bar (2 storey / 913sm)" started by WACruizer