Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

Kiting in bunbury? Brand new kiter needing helpppp

Created by Kayla > 9 months ago, 27 Nov 2013
Kayla
2 posts
27 Nov 2013 1:26AM
Thumbs Up

I started lessons in qld 3 months ago, bought gear and haven't done it since. I'm not good AT ALL but really only through lack of practice. I've moved to wa to pursue the sport but am on a working holiday visa and am about to move to Harvey to work on a dairy farm. Is there a good opportunity to kite around there? Is there anyone willing to help me out? I'm actually really nervous as I'm complete novice, the wind here is really strong and there are tons of sharks. I'm really looking for some buddies or some help. Thanks!!!!!

Kayla
2 posts
27 Nov 2013 1:37AM
Thumbs Up

Also wanted to mention I'm a chick, weighing 57kgs. I have a 9m kite. Am I gonna die? Haha? Wind was warmer and not as strong up in port Douglas!

WA, 1255 posts
27 Nov 2013 9:27AM
Thumbs Up

Australind would be your best bet for kiting. Not sure how much of a scene is down there. At your weight a 7m would be a good addition to the 9m.

handyman
WA, 35 posts
27 Nov 2013 11:05AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Kayla,

Happy to help if you come down Augusta way sometime.
It's a good place to learn as is Australind
Keep an eye out for the SE winds on Cape Leeuwin live readings.
PM me if you have questions

Monkers
WA, 258 posts
27 Nov 2013 2:31PM
Thumbs Up

When I was learning I found that Wannanup ( south of Mandurah) was excellent . Flat waist deep water, no sharks. Works on SW seabreeze . Normally a few locals there to help out. Will need 7m for summer . Enjoy.

Monkers
WA, 258 posts
27 Nov 2013 2:34PM
Thumbs Up

Wear booties at Wannanup as the crabs trend to give you a nip..

john8oy76
25 posts
30 Nov 2013 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Kayla,
I'm also a beginner and i live in Australind. I had a 6M kite but it was too small. I think the 9M will be fine. I kite in the canals in Australind and also sometimes past the BP garage in Australind. Theres usually people out kiting who can give you tips. If i don't see anyone out then i don't go out myself. I'm interested to hear how you go - because the areas in australind are only really suitable for westerlys, and we seem to be getting a lot of easterlys lately !!
Keep us posted of your progress :-)

WA, 1255 posts
1 Dec 2013 10:11AM
Thumbs Up

^some caution needed with the kite size advice given above. Some clarification and mention of wind speeds probably due. I said a 7m would be a good addition, meaning hold onto the 9 and get a second 7m. Maybe even a 6 depending on the kite. The 9 will serve you well if the winds roughly 15knots but when a typical seabreeze comes in, roughly 20knots plus, you'll certainly be wanting that 7. Check out this weeks coming forecast!

Most of the accidents you see and hear about is learners putting up kites that are too big when it's windy. Then getting lofted or dragged down the beach with a not so nice ending.

To add some perspective.. I weigh 76kg and ride my 8m a fair amount, like when it's ~23knots plus. I put up a 6m a couple of weeks back when it was up around 30knots.

Respect the WA winds!

pauleeo
WA, 1 posts
3 Dec 2013 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Kayla
Im also new to kiteboarding, a friend and I are starting off having some lessons in the Australind inlet.
So if you want to meet up with us for a kite drop me a line. amberelectrical@gmail.com
ssw are the winds we are looking for, 15-20knots.

john8oy76
25 posts
3 Jan 2014 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Kayla,
How are the lessons going ? The canals in Australind have been pretty good for kiting for the last week. Theres plenty of people down there. I counted 9 kites yesterday arvo.
I will say that the wind is very gusty and not that consistant but you should be ok if you've got a big enough kite.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

"Kiting in bunbury? Brand new kiter needing helpppp" started by Kayla