Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

KiteSurfers need to show tolerance

Created by johnvincent > 9 months ago, 9 May 2010
johnvincent
WA, 16 posts
9 May 2010 12:54AM
Thumbs Up

Why is it that kitesurfers think they own the beach & the water close to the beach at the back of penguin island during the summer months ;
My misses and I were learning to handle her new kayak on a week day afternoon & oh dear we were in the way , I have to ask the question are kitesurfers totally out of control, can they take corrective action to avoid a potential collision ,or are they to worried about getting their lines in a tangle.
I have been a yacht owner for 10 yrs and race twice a week on the swan every summer and on a saturday there are boats and ferries comming from all directions , and guess what, we tolerate each other , change course , giveway, & show control , so we dont spoil anyones fun on the water.
Iam sorry but I think that as participents in a relatively new sport , kitesurfers need to exibit a bit more tolerance towards other watersports people.

ApatheticEnd
WA, 995 posts
9 May 2010 2:57AM
Thumbs Up

Sorry to hear about your bad experiance. There is a school that operates in that area and it's a popular spot for learners. Maybe a better explanation of what happened other than "we were in the way" would net more positive results rather than just a flogging from the kite forum.

What happened? What would you like to have seen happen differently?

herbyburger
WA, 300 posts
9 May 2010 10:13AM
Thumbs Up

why is it that yachties think they are always in "the right?' no matter what they are doing on the water.
as for kayakers they seem to think they are in a league of their own, many of times while having an evening bbq on the banks of the swan i have seen them cruising along at dusk/night with little more than a glowstick taped to a backpack, every other water craft needs proper navigation lights/ equipment but they dont? put the 2 together and disaster waiting to happen i reckon..

ueberqwerty
WA, 59 posts
9 May 2010 11:53AM
Thumbs Up

It is a shame that you had a bad experience John! From my experience down there, kite boarders are considerate. I usually try stay out of the way of the the kayaks, but some times it is inevitable to cross their path. I haven't seen any kite/kayak incident yet. Maybe kite surfers look a bit intimidating with a big sail up in the air. So do cars when you are a cyclist on WA roads. I feel that the best option would be to just talk to us down at the beach. I am sure that we can recreate happily together; they bay is big after all

KiterMan
NSW, 21 posts
10 May 2010 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

It's sad to admit but most kiters these days have never been near watersports before starting to kite and have NFI how to be a considerate water user.

Riptorn
WA, 19 posts
10 May 2010 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

Well its the same thing repeating itself with arrogant Kities thinking they own Perth's beaches. What "other" people cna do is contact the local shires and complain until this mob realise they are so disliked.

canadianboom
WA, 9 posts
10 May 2010 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

We live in one of the best places on earth to do water sports and there is certainly no shortage of "Indian Ocean" around. We all have different interests of what activities we peruse on the water and we (kiters) have respect of what's happening around us, on the water and on the beach.
I guess what I am trying to say is: Pick a spot that you feel safe in and we will not cross paths. That way, we can all have a "cold one" after a session and call it a good day out on the water!

ApatheticEnd
WA, 995 posts
10 May 2010 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

Riptorn said...

Well its the same thing repeating itself with arrogant Kities thinking they own Perth's beaches. What "other" people cna do is contact the local shires and complain until this mob realise they are so disliked.

Yeah, that's what we should all do. Maybe instead of just having a conversation with someone who is upsetting us, if we whine to mommy enough we can get them run off our beaches. Each and ever one of Perth's kiters are the same right?

If you see someone doing something that's not on, speak to them. It doesn't have to be all agro and playing pokey chest. Just be friendly, introduce yourself, explain the beef, and see how it's taken. If the guy wants to be a knob, then maybe look at other avenues but until you just try to speak to him, you have no business talking about what's right on the water.

Are people really such a bunch of pussies? I hope not.

caipi
WA, 53 posts
10 May 2010 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

The problem is that some kiters apparently don’t understand that even on the water it is important to respect other watersports and stick to some rules. Each kiter takes 10times more space than any other watersport. Even with enough space it is not understandabale, how much risk some kiters take, annoy and endanger people whether its kajakers, windsurfers, swimmers or surfers.
I sail a lot at Brighton beach, and I don’t get it why they have to mix in with the windsurfers close to the rescue tower. It creates a lot of stress and kiters can’t tell me they are not stressed when they kite between windsurfers - so why?
The windsurfers usually share only 400m of a 5km long beach, you guys have the rest so why don’t you respect your own rules and keep a distance of a min of 30m to other watersports?! Please remind yourself of your own local guidelines twice before you hit the water. Plus local kiters should give advice to those kiters who are new to the spots.
If you guys don’t look after your behaviour the result will end in more restrictions for kiters and even worse for all watersports in some areas - so respect and keep a distance to other people in and around the water, or it will only be a matter of time until we all lose…

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
13 May 2010 12:24AM
Thumbs Up

until the OP posts a thread which is worded just a bit clearer i will just consider his post to be rabble rabble

johnvincent
WA, 16 posts
13 May 2010 12:24PM
Thumbs Up

I seem to have opened a can of worms here ;
Yeah there was a school doing kitesurfing trainning that afternoon and the guy explained to us that his pupils where inexperienced and might be out of control , we replied with, so are we, just learning to handle the kayak, and we moved all our stuff further down the beach to a safer position down wind , no conflict or problem , we paddled around a bit taking turns , the school did their thing using radios or something to contact pupils ;
the problem came later in the arvo when the wind picked up we decided to head home , but we had to get all our gear and the kayak back to the car park, which was quit a way up the beach , so the Misses carried stuff along the sand , and I paddled along the shore to a spot level to the path , but more kitesurfers had arrived and couldnt launch of the beach while I was paddling along , and their impatience to get going made us feel like a very unwelcome hinderence , I could see I was causing an obstruction so I paddled harder , and yeah I was in their way for 15 mins or so.
Why do yachties think they are in the right ? well we dont think we are , we just have more money tied up in our sport , and have regulations/rules we have to abide by; for example DPI registration, $10 mil public liability insurance,and up dated safety regs following the Sydney-Hobart disaster.
I wouldnt atempt to Kayak after dark on the swan, but a white light showing to the rear is sufficient , provided a good lookout is taken to forward.

megsie
35 posts
14 May 2010 1:21PM
Thumbs Up

people on here are daming kiters for getting amonst other water users saying we should avoid them, is this not hypocritical? all vessels on the water have to follow the same set of rules and the most important of these is that ALL vessels have to avoid a collision. john the guys should have waited for you to come through but come on if you were fishing on the beach and someone with a dog was walking up the beach then having a crack at you for your line being in the water and in their way, how would you feel.

dbabicwa
WA, 805 posts
17 May 2010 6:57PM
Thumbs Up

Well, I was on Pinnaroo beach many times and quite often in the afternoon local fisherman's decided to stay just exactly in front of me. Tried to many times to suggest to move 20-30m upwind but no luck!
Like, I'm going to launch my kite, please could you move...No luck, never.
Was I there first? Yes. Is it dedicated area for kiters? Yes. School operating? Yes.

So, how can I learn this sport if the fishing lines are everywhere? Tolerance? Not by them.

See, we all have different experience. Mind you though, on Bali, everyone seems to drive crazy (maybe dangerous by some) but people die mostly because of dogs on roads....

ueberqwerty
WA, 59 posts
18 May 2010 9:04AM
Thumbs Up

dbabicwa said...

Well, I was on Pinnaroo beach many times and quite often in the afternoon local fisherman's decided to stay just exactly in front of me. Tried to many times to suggest to move 20-30m upwind but no luck!
Like, I'm going to launch my kite, please could you move...No luck, never.
Was I there first? Yes. Is it dedicated area for kiters? Yes. School operating? Yes.

Well take it as a challenge of learning to use your kite properly
(or move out of their way downwind)

Hey, we don't want to start talking about "dedicated areas" now, do we? Isn't the beach for everybody everywhere? That is how it should be, right?

dbabicwa
WA, 805 posts
18 May 2010 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

Tolerance mate, tolerance, by everyone, not some. Yes, I've moved downwind not once!
Is this making them more tolerant? Definitely not.
However, looks like I'm the one feeling the consequences and showing tolerance. Hows that?

Riptorn
WA, 19 posts
21 May 2010 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

Well please dont get agro you kities but I was speaking with a fishing guy at Pinnaroo last week and he made a great suggestion. it is worhty of thought and will completely stop all complaints against kities.

Let them use the Swan river say near UWA or Salters Point. They can have full access at all times and that way beachgoers and polies can stay at the beach where they were there first.

Good idea?

Factory
WA, 266 posts
21 May 2010 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

give it up riptorn, you're a peanut.

megsie
35 posts
21 May 2010 10:36PM
Thumbs Up

well said factor 5

ueberqwerty
WA, 59 posts
22 May 2010 10:08AM
Thumbs Up

Riptorn said...

Well please dont get agro you kities but I was speaking with a fishing guy at Pinnaroo last week and he made a great suggestion. it is worhty of thought and will completely stop all complaints against kities.

Let them use the Swan river say near UWA or Salters Point. They can have full access at all times and that way beachgoers and polies can stay at the beach where they were there first.

Good idea?

Riptorn, that is a really good point! I don't mind at all, if all the fishing guys use the Swan river say near UWA or Salters Point!

little o
WA, 405 posts
24 May 2010 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

Seems like a lot of pissed off people wiht a lot of opinions.
First I am a kite surfer.
I have in the past had a laugh with boating, kayaking, fishing crew all while holding my kite. All were in an area which has a kite school and well known for new kiters.

In every sport you will have arrogant idiots who think they own the beach including kiting. Just like on the roads. Maybe if everyone just took a moment to chat to the 'other users' then people are more likely to show a bit of right of way. It's so stupid to see all the kiters thinking they own the joint and the kayakers freaking out waiting to be hit and the fishing guys casting onto someone whos clearly strugging.

Don't even get me started on the idea of putting kiting on the river. People kite in the sea for a reason.

Maybe if everyone stops blaming and looks at their own usage we can all drink our beers together.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

"KiteSurfers need to show tolerance" started by johnvincent