Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

Cott, Scarbz, tourists and signs

Created by rollo19 > 9 months ago, 9 Dec 2015
rollo19
WA, 93 posts
9 Dec 2015 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

apparently someone landing their kite in a playground is a conversation point over tea and scones in Cott and the lifeguards in Scarbz are getting ticked at kiters coming within 200m of their beach.

do we need signs up at popular spots to remind tourists, new comers and all of us really - where you and can't kite, landing and safety tips, right of way e.g, give way to those coming out, or on a wave??

tourists and weekend warriors etc are not scouring seabreeze or asking locals to find these things out, perhaps we should make it easier for them

Sauce
WA, 203 posts
10 Dec 2015 8:11AM
Thumbs Up

The playground incident involved a wind surfer. I do understand that the town of cott is reviewing its signage

CAUTION
WA, 1097 posts
10 Dec 2015 10:54AM
Thumbs Up

agree re signs. WAKSA should do these along with COS.
The way it is getting we are going to lose areas to kite because of blow ins or those without knowledge.

I was doing a downwinder last week and one of the "SLINGSHOT" boys, that being someone touring Australia in a massive bus to promote the brand and sport riding bindings was doing tricks right by the shore and sliding up onto the sand then back out to do another, yes very cool. One time he came in right between the flags at scarborough, thats right up on the sand right between the flags in front of the clubbie's trailer with the beach inspector also sitting in his car watching (he was not happy).
Poor form, very poor form. But i am guessing he will say "well i didnt know..."
or not care and move to the next town.

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
10 Dec 2015 1:56PM
Thumbs Up

^ that is amazing. Anyone call him up on it?

7-Nation Aust
QLD, 114 posts
10 Dec 2015 5:01PM
Thumbs Up

All our riders are aware that you need to be 200m out to pass behind the flags. Although I will send a reminder out.

We are usually the last on the beach helping everyone launch their own kites first.

With a demo tour the size of ours, and the amount of kites we loan out each day, we definitely have safety as a huge priority, and always try to encourage and practice safe kiting methods.

rollo19
WA, 93 posts
10 Dec 2015 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

right we need signs - let's see some designs.

If WAKSA can contact who ever and tell them we are putting them in to encourage safe behaviour, I'd be happy to help put them in.

Illustration ideas:

Take care when self launching & landing:
- communicate with other beach goers when self launching/landing
- launch only here, not there

Surf spots (scarabz mainly)
- do not tack in and out (mow the lawns), ride down the line, tack up wind, wait your turn and do it again (this ones targeted at twin tippers who just go back and forth and do no give way to people coming out or going left or right upwind on a wave)

Stay clear of the flags and any busy beach/surf areas such as floret, peaceholm dog beach, scarborough

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
11 Dec 2015 6:43AM
Thumbs Up

Can the signs be made to float and face out to sea? That way the downwinders can read it too?

Signs aren't the answer unfortunately, if I kite a particular spot regularly I'll see the signs and learn the local rules, if I'm one of the hundreds doing a downwinder no amount of signs in car parks and footpaths are going to help.

Weta
WA, 891 posts
11 Dec 2015 7:50AM
Thumbs Up

Signs wont do any good if the person doesn't have half a brain like the absolute TOOL flying his kite up on the grass last night at the phone box..............

Sauce
WA, 203 posts
11 Dec 2015 8:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Weta said...
Signs wont do any good if the person doesn't have half a brain like the absolute TOOL flying his kite up on the grass last night at the phone box..............

What kind of a brain dead moron would be stupid enough to do that three ****** days after the news paper article on Monday!!

Did some one give him a boot up the a$s for his trouble?

CAUTION
WA, 1097 posts
11 Dec 2015 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

i think signs are a good idea.
the ones along trigg carparks are good, the surfer ones with the simple rules of surfing like snaking and droppign in.

i think same sort of thing, showing things like:
dont launch kite in carpark or grass areas, launch on beach downwind of people.
take caution when rolling out lines.
dont kite within 200m of flags
be courteous of swimmers and surfers
keep control of your kite at all times, you are responsible
also include limits of summer kiting, like north of 3rd carpark trigg to trigg point.

in regards to the slingshot rider, defo one of your guys not a demo rider id say. he was good, tricks to boot and holding a go pro in mouth or free hand. i hung for a bit on beach to talk to him but he was still kiting and i had to get home. if i see him again i will have a chat.

Rads
WA, 110 posts
13 Dec 2015 7:52AM
Thumbs Up

Pussies just need to man up and start confronting kooks at the beach. Grab a mate to lend support if you're gutless. This **** happens way too much and if you leave it to forums, nothing will change. Stop being mr floppy before it's too late. You'll kick yourself later because you did nothing

Nathe
WA, 433 posts
13 Dec 2015 8:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rads said...
Pussies just need to man up and start confronting kooks at the beach. Grab a mate to lend support if you're gutless. This **** happens way too much and if you leave it to forums, nothing will change. Stop being mr floppy before it's too late. You'll kick yourself later because you did nothing

Well said.. I do this on occasions when guys are acting like out right peanuts. They get hurt feelings and people tell me I'm agro but I'm not. It's my local, my home and I'm not letting some blow in or wanna be local wreck it for me on the waterways that I grew up on. Have some common sense and show some respect. Forums have giving to many pussies courage on the keyboard but no spine in the real world

s_h_a_n_o
WA, 88 posts
13 Dec 2015 8:40AM
Thumbs Up

If the Cott incident happened at the little playground near the carpark at Beach St (is this "phone box"?), there's a pretty simple fix - put a little blue fence up across the southern end of the playground. There's one around the playground opposite the Cott General Store, so it's nothing too radical.

Often see windsurfers rigging up their sails on the grass next to the playground to then walk them down the old boat ramp (which I think is fine) - can see how a piece of gear might get picked up and blown by the breeze towards the playground. Having a fence there would stop that happening.

Could even mount rules/etiquette signs on the outside of the fence.

Weta
WA, 891 posts
13 Dec 2015 2:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Nathe said..

Rads said...

Well said.. I do this on occasions when guys are acting like out right peanuts. They get hurt feelings and people tell me I'm agro but I'm not. It's my local, my home and I'm not letting some blow in or wanna be local wreck it for me on the waterways that I grew up on. Have some common sense and show some respect. Forums have giving to many pussies courage on the keyboard but no spine in the real world

Really guys.................yeah I'm definitely a keyboard warrior, way too scared to tell someone when they are F'N up.

I was driving when I saw the Tool at the phonebox, I stopped next to him and saw another guy was having a word.

Nathe
WA, 433 posts
13 Dec 2015 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Weta said...
Nathe said..

Rads said...

Really guys.................yeah I'm definitely a keyboard warrior, way too scared to tell someone when they are F'N up.

I was driving when I saw the Tool at the phonebox, I stopped next to him and saw another guy was having a word.

Wasn't having a go at you .. It's the general population now to political correct to give it to people . But if you are offended to bad

Rads
WA, 110 posts
14 Dec 2015 7:28AM
Thumbs Up

It’s alright Weta buddy. My comment, and it seems Nathe’s were not directed toward you. Always interesting when one takes it as such though lol.

I’m happy to hear, through the fade of sarcasm. You are one of the few who would make a difference. Keep it up

CAUTION
WA, 1097 posts
14 Dec 2015 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

Agree we should all step up and try to stop this happening via few words on the beach.

I did hang around for a bit but had to go as my lift was there on this occasion, but i dont think you were aiming straight at me, more as a general comment.

Anyhow, with more numbers it is becoming a regular thing, lets hope we can all pull our frothiness into lines and keep the clubbies and beach patrol happy.

I still think signs and WAKSA emails and perhaps occasional hang outs at city beach to inform everyone really, just bit of chit chat to enforce everyone knows shat they should know and should be doing.
Ive been kiting along this stretch for over 10 years and would like ot be able to keep kiting local.

danw
WA, 163 posts
14 Dec 2015 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

Put a bold link on the seabreeze page near the charts for "new to Perth kitesurfing pro tips", highlight points on kite spots. That may help, and be a quick and inexpensive way to educate. Just a thought.

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
14 Dec 2015 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

The surf clubs claim their safe swimming areas with their red on yellow flags. Everyone knows what they look like, most kiters and poleys know they are a no go area and most are happy to keep clear.

But, from the ocean, how hard can the flags be to spot? especially on a busy beach with cars, people, umbrellas, towels, buildings etc as a backdrop? It's effectively a game of Where's Wally as you punt down the coast and you don't know how many Wally's to look out for. It also doesn't help that they move them regularly depending on the conditions.

Maybe it's time for SLSWA to revise their flags, whether it be a much larger and higher flag or another method to assist in delineating their safe swimming area. The flags were introduced to assist people on the beach decide where is safe to swim and from the beach they are easy to spot with a blue on blue background of ocean and sky. When they were introduced 80 odd years they would never have considered having to use them to manage the risk of water sports that didn't even exist and they now want to keep away from approaching from the other side of the break.

It also doesn't help that that in a Perth metro Southerly that will flap invisible, behind their pole as you approach from the South on a downwinder. I reckon it's pretty easy to get well within 200 metres of the flags, even with the best of intentions.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
15 Dec 2015 7:16AM
Thumbs Up

Get sail manufacturers, ezzy etc to print by laws on their sails
No need for poles on the beach or parklands as the poleys already have one
Visible on the water
Loads of time to read them as you kite past on the poleys upwind tacks( even fine print)

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1396 posts
15 Dec 2015 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

That's a really good point Chris, they can be hard to see even when you are trying to spot them.
I wonder if a couple of orange boys could be included outside the break to identify the craft exclusion zone. Like what Horrocks has around the jetty and dive pontoon.

CAUTION
WA, 1097 posts
16 Dec 2015 10:26AM
Thumbs Up

they are always in the same visinity.
and pretty sure there are buoys at the scarbs and trigg ones.

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
16 Dec 2015 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

'Because that's how we've always done it" and "They're always in the same spot", doesn't actually cut it if they ever want to infringe or prosecute someone for encroaching within 200 metres. If the flags define the prohibited area, and they set-up and dismantle them daily, and move them if/when rips/strong currents form and they were never designed to be seen from out to sea then I'd be willing to bet even a self-represented fool could get off if they took it to court.

Plus I'd challenge any ranger that believes he is capable of giving some sore of expert opinion on what is 200 metres without a fixed object to reference from. Obviously skimming in the shallows 10-20 metres away is easy enough, but get over 80-100 metres and it would be easy to create enough doubt in court to get off.

I'm not advocating people kite inside the flagged exclusion zones but the system of using flags to define them is quite possibly fundamentally flawed.

Worst case scenario is someone punting down the coast, not familiar with every SLSC and their regular patrolled beaches, and with the best of intentions and keeping a proper watch still doesn't see the flags and encroaches within the 200 metres, then runs over a lone kid swimming on his own but inside the flagged area he didn't see and does serious injury or worse. There is a real risk the kiter may face a criminal charge of some sort or it could go to inquest in coroner's court. If the kiter was doing everything reasonable I think it would be highly unlikely they would be convicted but if they were to use the defence of "I did my best but I couldn't see the flags, they move them all the time, plus look how hard they are to spot", then the local shire and SLSWA might later cop some heat from litigation lawyers from the dead kid's family they weren't expecting...

R1DER
WA, 1455 posts
17 Dec 2015 7:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris6791 said...
The surf clubs claim their safe swimming areas with their red on yellow flags. Everyone knows what they look like, most kiters and poleys know they are a no go area and most are happy to keep clear.

But, from the ocean, how hard can the flags be to spot? especially on a busy beach with cars, people, umbrellas, towels, buildings etc as a backdrop? It's effectively a game of Where's Wally as you punt down the coast and you don't know how many Wally's to look out for. It also doesn't help that they move them regularly depending on the conditions.

Maybe it's time for SLSWA to revise their flags, whether it be a much larger and higher flag or another method to assist in delineating their safe swimming area. The flags were introduced to assist people on the beach decide where is safe to swim and from the beach they are easy to spot with a blue on blue background of ocean and sky. When they were introduced 80 odd years they would never have considered having to use them to manage the risk of water sports that didn't even exist and they now want to keep away from approaching from the other side of the break.

It also doesn't help that that in a Perth metro Southerly that will flap invisible, behind their pole as you approach from the South on a downwinder. I reckon it's pretty easy to get well within 200 metres of the flags, even with the best of intentions.

Classic blaming something or someone else for your own incompetence, maybe some guys need to get their eyes checked, I can see the flags on a crowded day from a long way out. Hers a helpful tip city beach has two huge rock groins sticking out as you get closer to these have a look and you'll see some red and yellow flags, Scarborough has a huge friggin hotel its not that hard to miss as you get closer you'll see some flags. I think the guys getting in among the swimmers are just show ponnies showing off, they can see swimmers and flags they just don't care. Compulsory kite numbers allowing identification and follow up fines would sort these clowns out.

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
17 Dec 2015 8:44AM
Thumbs Up

Actually my eyes are pretty good but thanks for the help, and nor am I the sort to blame someone else when **** goes wrong or kite within the flags. I'm just looking at it from a different angle.

I even know where the surf clubs are along the metro coast but I'm not going to stand on the beach and make sure everyone doing a downwinder knows as well. Society has been dumbed down to the point of needing big signs and other measures to protect people from themselves, at this stage a few flags plonked in the sand isn't dumb enough for the lowest common denominator (or French Euro).

CAUTION
WA, 1097 posts
17 Dec 2015 9:03AM
Thumbs Up

have to agree, have never had a problem seeing them.
BUT as mentioned above, it isnt really a problem if you ask me whether you are 100 or 200m out back going around, it is the clowns or show ponies mentioned above going right through the flags WTF, i even saw a kite shop owner doing it the other day. Wake up people.
It doesnt matter if these rles are loose and you can get out of it in court, it is the fact that the entire strip could be banned from kiting. then we all miss out.

Yes society is being dumbed down, bla bla bla. but yesterday i saw so many newish kiters doing downwinders with no idea on rules on right of way. they were basically in their own little bubble with no consideration of others. Saw 1 collision on the sand due to lack of control of kite and not looking around and trying to pick up board, and so many close calls. kites in the water everywhere, people clearly out of control. not cool. and if there are no signs or people helping out how do they learn?

Sauce
WA, 203 posts
17 Dec 2015 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

Wind wasn't very pretty yesterday. Saw some poor bloke hiking up West Coast highway near Hale Road. Cant remember if he had a board with him or not. Just saw kite wrapped in harness.

flyer100
21 posts
18 Dec 2015 7:02PM
Thumbs Up

hey Laurie,why did you pull my post after I had a go at the slingshot boys for ride up on the beach carrying on like peanuts?
I suppose they have a bit more clought than the average punter.(got green thumbed off the page though).that says something I think.

Weta
WA, 891 posts
19 Dec 2015 9:13AM
Thumbs Up

I T Nazi's also pulled my post showing the proposed council Kiting Launching & Landing zone????? WTF

Political Correctness overload IMHO

Bugger; how silly of me...............I forgot I now live in a society dictated to by Nanna's & Morons.

Weta
WA, 891 posts
19 Dec 2015 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

My bad 2 different threads going.............................sorry IT Nazi's

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

"Cott, Scarbz, tourists and signs" started by rollo19