Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

City of Joondalup - Coastal Hazard Risk Management Adaptation Plan - CHRMAP 2023-2033

Created by WACruizer > 9 months ago, 15 May 2023
WACruizer
119 posts
15 May 2023 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

09/05/2023 CoJ - Agenda for Briefing Session
api.joondalup.wa.gov.au/files/councilmeetings/2023/230509_BRF_AGN.pdf

Page 32
DRAFT COASTAL HAZARD RISK MANAGEMENT AND ADAPTATION PLAN 2023-2033
File: CoJ - Agenda for briefing session - CHRMAP 2023-2033 public consultation.pdf

PURPOSE
For Council to endorse the release of the draft Coastal Hazard Risk Management and Adaptation Plan (CHRMAP) 2023 - 2033 for community consultation.

DRAFT CHRMAP 2023-2033 {Attach6brf230509.pdf}
api.joondalup.wa.gov.au/files/councilmeetings/2023/230509_BRF_AGN.pdf

WACruizer
119 posts
15 May 2023 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

WACruizer
119 posts
15 May 2023 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

Sadly, it appears that WA Govt. guidelines for sea level rise are well out of date:

Ref 1: www.wa.gov.au/government/publications/wa-coastal-zone-strategy
Ref 2 www.wa.gov.au/system/files/2021-07/CST-WA_Coastal_Zone_Strategy.pdf
Ref 3 www.wa.gov.au/system/files/2021-07/CST-WA_Coastal_Zone_Strategy_summary_brochure_web.pdf
Ref 4 www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/marine/MAC_R_SeaLevelChangeInWesternAustraliaReport.pdf

Extract from Ref 2:
"The WA Government has adopted 0.9 metres for sea level rise over a 100-year planning timeframe for future coastal development"
It appears that the out-dated source for this information is Ref 4:

Ref 4 (02/02/2010 DoT) extract:
It is recommended that this advice be reviewed when the IPCC Working Group I contribution to the Fifth Assessment Report is finalised (currently scheduled for 2013).

The IPCC has released Assessment Reports 5 and 6 since these guidelines found their way into government policy.

WACruizer
119 posts
15 May 2023 5:31PM
Thumbs Up

As stated in the WA Gov. guidelines - minimization of risk to public funds is of primary concern when approving new developments.
In the case of Pinnaroo Point, a major "beneficiary" to proposed protection works is the PRIVATE Hillary Beach Club (under construction).

WACruizer
119 posts
20 May 2023 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

The City of Joondalup meeting of council 23/05/2023 has several items of critical interest, especially for local kiters and wingers.

Agenda:
api.joondalup.wa.gov.au/files/councilmeetings/2023/230523_CNL_AGN.pdfAddendum: api.joondalup.wa.gov.au/files/councilmeetings/2023/230523_CNL_Addendum%20Agenda.pdf

WACruizer
119 posts
20 May 2023 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

17 beach groins
In 2025 the City of Joondalup intend to commence construction of 17 beach groins at regular intervals from Hillarys Boat Harbour to Ocean Reef Marina...

Meeting of Council
The City of Joondalup meeting of council 23/05/2023 has several items of critical interest.
Agenda: api.joondalup.wa.gov.au/files/councilmeetings/2023/230523_CNL_AGN.pdf
Addendum: api.joondalup.wa.gov.au/files/councilmeetings/2023/230523_CNL_Addendum%20Agenda.pdf

The meeting will address:
1. Coastal groins: CJ066-05/23 - Proposed public consultation is to be based solely upon the "Water Technologies - Public Facing CHRMAP 2023-2033"
2. AGM: CJ067-05/23 - Minutes from the 2022(-yep) Annual General Meeting of Electors. Critical motions were raised at the AGM.
3. Parking: CJ081-05/23 - Review of Parking Schemes Policy: Parking management in coastal locations.

Public questions
Questions fielded are guaranteed to concern all coastal interest groups.
Questions have already revealed that The City do not intend to release:
* M.P. Rogers CHRMAP Technical report.
* M.P. Rogers Costs / Benefits Analysis - public / private benefit report.

The City will only publish the "Water Technologies - Public Facing CHRMAP 2023-2033" that was commissioned for that purpose.

The proposals are contained within CJ066-05/23 DRAFT COASTAL HAZARD RISK MANAGEMENT AND ADAPTATION PLAN 2023-2033 - "Water Technologies - Public Facing CHRMAP 2023-2033"
www.joondalup.wa.gov.au/files/councilmeetings/2023/Attach6brf230509.pdf.

KiteBud
WA, 1518 posts
6 Jun 2023 5:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Thanks for sharing, I was about to paste the link then saw your post.

We'll be writing a document to the city in the next few weeks.

Gakange
WA, 15 posts
6 Jun 2023 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks WACruiser and CBulota for your efforts. Ill be at the Sorrento meeting but happy to help.

KiteBud
WA, 1518 posts
16 Jun 2023 6:24PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,

for those who are not yet aware, there is a very active Facebook group called Stop The Groynes - Save Mullaloo & Whitfords Beach

www.facebook.com/groups/261108869786612

SaveTheBeaches
1 posts
18 Jun 2023 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

hey, thanks all for the massive effort!
It would be tragic to loose that beach ...
Hopefully all of you can post anywhere possible.
Cheers

KiteBud
WA, 1518 posts
18 Jun 2023 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,

It's important to take action through the official channels and not just comment on here or on social media as these comments won't be taken into consideration by the City of Joondalup unless they are provided through this form: www.research.net/r/XHFPSKJ

The more feedback we can provide the better. The website below gives an excellent summary of the situation especially for those who aren't well aware of what's going on already. The website also has many useful links.

mbcginc.org.au/initiatives/groynes-along-mullaloo-beach

KiteBud
WA, 1518 posts
20 Jun 2023 2:36AM
Thumbs Up

If you are opposed to the construction of groynes at Pinnaroo Point and Mullaloo Beach and if you are able to attend the next community consultation this Sunday June 25, please sign up by following the link. I was told that, so far, only 50 out of 90 seat have been reserved. Having a full room sends a stronger and clearer message.

events.ticketbooth.com.au/event/draft-coastal-hazard-plan-information-session

KiteBud
WA, 1518 posts
21 Jun 2023 10:11PM
Thumbs Up

Say no to groynes! Help us save Pinnaroo Point and keep the beach open and safe for kitesurfing. Take action by scanning the QR codes.

WACruizer
119 posts
22 Jun 2023 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cbulota said..
Say no to groynes! Help us save Pinnaroo Point and keep the beach open and safe for kitesurfing. Take action by scanning the QR codes.

Thanks Christian.
Has KWA been advised about the challenges for kiteboarding (and wind / wing) created from the proposal?

KiteBud
WA, 1518 posts
22 Jun 2023 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WACruizer said..

cbulota said..

Thanks Christian.
Has KWA been advised about the challenges for kiteboarding (and wind / wing) created from the proposal?

Yes, a representative from Kiteboarding WA is attending the next information session on Sunday June 25

KiteBud
WA, 1518 posts
24 Jun 2023 9:22PM
Thumbs Up

airsail
QLD, 1260 posts
25 Jun 2023 5:19AM
Thumbs Up

I'm sure the surfers are keen for the groyne idea, imagine 17 more point breaks in the Perth area to spread the crowds out. And for kiters, makes for an interesting coastline to travel.

DJMWA
WA, 342 posts
2 Jul 2023 10:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
airsail said..
I'm sure the surfers are keen for the groyne idea, imagine 17 more point breaks in the Perth area to spread the crowds out. And for kiters, makes for an interesting coastline to travel.

Unfortunately due to our constant SSW-WSW swell direction and predominant southerly sea drift our groynes don't produce quality surf like most of the eastern state groynes. The northern side of the groyne ends up with a huge hole in the "bank" and the southern side builds up with too much sand that makes an extremely short ride or is a total close out. There are a few exceptions to the rule (albeit fickle) but these are also much much longer groynes than I imagine the Joondalup ones will be given the size of the ones installed further north at Quinn's.

WACruizer
119 posts
5 Jul 2023 2:45PM
Thumbs Up

FYI, FURTHER READING
* WWA - Get on-board - say no to rock groynes
docs.google.com/document/d/1b3hMbCvQ8zG4D_GCMySGuXHCn3sFAtRi/edit?usp=drive_link&ouid=105216183745016131660&rtpof=true&sd=true
* Printable flyer
drive.google.com/file/d/1pS4R2EOV4hcU_g-l-8eoFXpO9efFOyGn/view?usp=drive_link

KiteBud
WA, 1518 posts
5 Jul 2023 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WACruizer said..
FYI, FURTHER READING
* WWA - Get on-board - say no to rock groynes
docs.google.com/document/d/1b3hMbCvQ8zG4D_GCMySGuXHCn3sFAtRi/edit?usp=drive_link&ouid=105216183745016131660&rtpof=true&sd=true
* Printable flyer
drive.google.com/file/d/1pS4R2EOV4hcU_g-l-8eoFXpO9efFOyGn/view?usp=drive_link

Thanks for sharing those. The size of the groynes looks a bit exaggerated on the PDF document.

Did you make those yourself ? Do you mind if I modify those documents with new pictures to send to the kitesurfing community ?

I'm no photoshop expert myself but here is what I came up with using aerial pictures. I did my best to locate the groynes as precisely as possible using the data and images from the official document ( www.joondalup.wa.gov.au/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/Draft-Coastal-Hazard-Risk-Management-and-Adaptation-Plan-for-community-consultation.pdf )

GarryA
WA, 264 posts
10 Jul 2023 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

All i am going to say they going to F**** the beach up and sorry for the language but there is no other way to say it

KiteBud
WA, 1518 posts
18 Jul 2023 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

Only 13 days left

Taking less than two minutes
of your time could help prevent groynes from being built at two popular Perth kite spots: Pinnaroo Point and Mullaloo Beach.

Submit the online form here: www.research.net/r/XHFPSKJ

DEADLINE JULY 31 - Please mention that you are strongly opposed to groynes.
- You do NOT need to be a resident of the City of Joondalup to submit the form.
- Although it is strongly recommended, you do NOT need to attend an information session to submit the form.

You can still sign up for the very last information session (online) that will be held this Thursday 20 July
2023, 5.00pm - 6.30pm Register here events.ticketbooth.com.au/event/draft-coastal-hazard-plan-information-session-online2

Thanks

Christian - KiteBud

WACruizer
119 posts
18 Jul 2023 11:30PM
Thumbs Up

RE: "Thanks for sharing those. The size of the groynes looks a bit exaggerated on the PDF document. Did you make those yourself ? Do you mind if I modify those documents with new pictures to send to the kitesurfing community ?"

FYI, a friend took minutes to generate the ugly aerial image using AI. We were in a hurry to publish before the school holidays. You have done much better. I will send PM with a more accurate location of the groyne nearest to what you guys call "the windsurfing area". It is even more crowded than shown.

Can we borrow an image for our next mail out?

WACruizer
119 posts
19 Jul 2023 1:26PM
Thumbs Up

Fig 9-4 in the Public Facing CHRMAP and Figure 8.13 of the Technical Report shows:
i) The start of groyne-7 lines up with the northern reserve boundary at Pinnaroo Point.
ii) due to the angle of the path and groyne, it would enter the water near to where windsurfers and foilers regularly launch, opposite BENJ123 path.
iii) groyne-7 is earmarked for 2025.

twistytop
1 posts
24 Jul 2023 8:58AM
Thumbs Up

Anyone and everyone can do the online submission form, even overseas. This coincides with the building of the the Hillarys Beach Club at Pinnaroo Point, where the City of Joondalup is responsible for taking measures to reduce coastal erosion (with Hillarys Marina as the main cause) and state coastal grants. Th Mullaloo Beach Community Group have a lot of info and are active in informing the locals.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

"City of Joondalup - Coastal Hazard Risk Management Adaptation Plan - CHRMAP 2023-2033" started by WACruizer