Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

Busselton/Wonnerup 23rd to 26th

Created by Wilderide > 9 months ago, 9 Dec 2015
Wilderide
39 posts
9 Dec 2015 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

Hey,
im going to be down in busselton from the 23rd to the 26th of December, for a family holiday. I was thinking of heading to Wonnerup or maybe a liitle more east if the wind turns on. never kited there before. Looking at google maps it looks like it will be side to slightly on shore for the south westerly.. Anything I should know. Where do ppl normally kite there?? Or anyone want to join me for an afternoon kite...
Cheers Liam

shi thouse
WA, 1129 posts
9 Dec 2015 9:47PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Liam, hate to disappoint you but that region is nothing short of a wind hole. Your best bet is to head north towards Bunbury and further or look south around the cape for something. As you noted that region struggles with wind direction given the Geograph bay. Maybe try Peppi Beach area???

Good luck!

Mrexport
WA, 23 posts
10 Dec 2015 6:14AM
Thumbs Up

During that time you should be able to get the local seabreeze in busselton , it's a north westerly ( cross on )wind about 12 to 18 knots and is normally in about 12 o'clock and lasts a couple of hours then swings southery ( which is offshore in geographe bay )

Hope that helps you.

Wilderide
39 posts
11 Dec 2015 6:34AM
Thumbs Up

I have managed to convince to the girlfriend to head to Augusta for a day hopefully the wind plays nice as well!!

mazdon
1196 posts
11 Dec 2015 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

hey man, as noted above, take a 12m or bigger and you will get out on the local NWer at busselton or duns no worries (for all below i assumed twin tip since you want to kite in Geographe bay!!). there are usually some crew around the VMR building half way between jetty and port geo (where the sky divers land). watch out for the swing offshore though. Wonnerup is just chop, but if you are desperate i suppose it is worth a (guilty) run. the estuary part is pretty narrow and not that great either if that is what you were thinking.

if you go around to peppie grove the direction is better and it is ok in a SW - won't be as strong as readings on the cape, but some rocks and reef at random spots (ok when theres swell, just annoying/take care if you are trying to jump around and muffing landings occasionally) and small beach for self launch /land with heaps of 4WD so you may feel a bit hemmed in.

yalls is the other option between around 12 and 4 (wind usually swings more south and lighter, to offshore, late arvo so if everyone else packs it in, you probably should as well as it is a b*tch to get to shore in an offshore there if there is any swell). only recommended if pretty experienced, but if there is no swell and a high tide it can be pretty tame. stay clear of any surfers at rabbits, shallows or out the back please if you do go out there.

augusta's great - enjoy
head to gnarabup for a look if the missus wants to go to margs/prev for the day. she can settle in cafe or beach out of wind and it is pretty fun kickers and flat water inside reefs.

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
11 Dec 2015 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

Wow! I had no idea of the Geographe Bay seabreeze phenomenon. A NW'er, that's amazing. And even in Dunsborough? Very cool.

shi thouse
WA, 1129 posts
11 Dec 2015 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mazdon said..

yalls is the other option between around 12 and 4 (wind usually swings more south and lighter, to offshore, late arvo so if everyone else packs it in, you probably should as well as it is a b*tch to get to shore in an offshore there if there is any swell). only recommended if pretty experienced, but if there is no swell and a high tide it can be pretty tame. stay clear of any surfers at rabbits, shallows or out the back please if you do go out there.

augusta's great - enjoy
head to gnarabup for a look if the missus wants to go to margs/prev for the day. she can settle in cafe or beach out of wind and it is pretty fun kickers and flat water inside reefs.

Hey Maz, you kited Boranup?? Would love to know what it is like? Surfing it is brilliant, and with plenty of beach and the right wind I can only assume it would be fantastic as well.

mazdon
1196 posts
12 Dec 2015 12:22PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, it's a great spot. Best on frontal NWer with bigger swells than on SW in summer.
The SEer from the other side of cape leeuwin and the SWer off the west side kind of meet and fight it out there so it gets a bit flukey and holey on anything but a belter SW. Still fun if you can get it on...

Wilderide
39 posts
13 Dec 2015 5:38PM
Thumbs Up

Just looked at Gnarabup Beach, that looks super fun.. Some little waves.. Guess you would walk up the beach out of any from the cafe and out of the wind shadow of the headland..

mazdon
1196 posts
14 Dec 2015 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

Just know your limits if the swell is up though. A downed kite at overhead boaties, wash through reefs at bombie and then a fun little swim or drift to surfers point is on the cards if things go pear shaped. If no swell, you should be fine. Yes, rig and launch out of wind shadow (say half way down beach). Not much beach at the moment though...

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

"Busselton/Wonnerup 23rd to 26th" started by Wilderide