Forums > Kitesurfing Queensland

Road trip Sydney -> Cairns

Created by kviksilver > 9 months ago, 20 Sep 2016
kviksilver
1 posts
20 Sep 2016 8:07AM
Thumbs Up

Hi all, I got most of this planned but I just want to get some last minute feedback :-)

So wife and me should be landing in Sydney sometimes mid Oct and after few (4 +/-1) days there we would rent an RV and drive north towards Cairns. Road trip should last something between 2 and 3 weeks, and after that we would spend few more days in Cairns then fly back home...

I got a list of kite spots and this se.kiteforum.com/kitesurf/country/Australia which gives me most of the details that i need but wouldn't want to miss something nice and important... I am basically looking for spots that are close to RV parks with intermediate wave conditions as i just started riding wave board this season... She is not kiting so part of the trip will also be normal touristy stuff that normal people do.. :-)

I am carrying quiver of SS rally 8-11-14, twin tip and a surfboard, shortie and 4/3 wetsuit (my guess is that drysuit will not be needed :-)) Will be flying qantas from Boston to Sydney and back from Cairns (little bit worried about airline charges). Anyway, any advice (i know it is a long stretch of road and there is probably a ton of things) would be welcome, i am returning a favour with a beer sometimes between Oct20th - Nov15th :-)

Ricardo1709
NSW, 1301 posts
21 Sep 2016 7:07AM
Thumbs Up

You could cull the 4/3 steamer you won't need that,I just had what is hopefully my last surf in a 3/2 and into springy or short john.put google maps on and check out likely spots as you're travelling ,theres some hidden gems everywhere.Have a great trip

CJ2478
NSW, 482 posts
21 Sep 2016 9:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kviksilver said..
Hi all, I got most of this planned but I just want to get some last minute feedback :-)

So wife and me should be landing in Sydney sometimes mid Oct and after few (4 +/-1) days there we would rent an RV and drive north towards Cairns. Road trip should last something between 2 and 3 weeks, and after that we would spend few more days in Cairns then fly back home...

I got a list of kite spots and this se.kiteforum.com/kitesurf/country/Australia which gives me most of the details that i need but wouldn't want to miss something nice and important... I am basically looking for spots that are close to RV parks with intermediate wave conditions as i just started riding wave board this season... She is not kiting so part of the trip will also be normal touristy stuff that normal people do.. :-)

I am carrying quiver of SS rally 8-11-14, twin tip and a surfboard, shortie and 4/3 wetsuit (my guess is that drysuit will not be needed :-)) Will be flying qantas from Boston to Sydney and back from Cairns (little bit worried about airline charges). Anyway, any advice (i know it is a long stretch of road and there is probably a ton of things) would be welcome, i am returning a favour with a beer sometimes between Oct20th - Nov15th :-)

You're coming at a good time. Around this time of the year the N, NNE, NE seabreeze starts to blow. You could drive from Sydney to Cairns in 4 days if you wanted so depending how much you want to kite your itinerary will be dependent on the wind forecast. You can cover a pretty big distance with a few hours drive and in doing so get more wind.

There are lots of places along the east coast that will be fun when you're here and the surf is generally head high or less if it's blowing N, NNE or NE. I live an hour north of sydney, lots of fun places to kite. Sydney has some spots but not sure how you will go staying in an RV there.. Get on google maps to check locations and remember that wind is either N, NNE or NE seabreeze or SSW, S, SSE or SE weather front moving up the coast. My personal favorite beach to kite for anything with N in it is Kirra beach on the Gold Coast. Just remember to observe local rules and don't kite in or near the surf life saving flags. PM me for more specific info if needed.

Rails
QLD, 1370 posts
8 Oct 2016 7:04AM
Thumbs Up

Flat rock at Ballina has a nice camp ground, works on south east wind
drop by the Currumbin lagoon if NE or just for a swim
rivermouth in Noosa is nice as well and the wife can shop or swim
check out east point in Mackay for free beach camping
Alva beach has a nice camp ground

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Queensland

"Road trip Sydney -> Cairns" started by kviksilver