Forums > Kitesurfing Queensland

NEW Newbie

Created by finally > 9 months ago, 25 Dec 2016
finally
4 posts
25 Dec 2016 12:43PM
Thumbs Up

Hi there
Finally made it to OZ after living in Germany for 25 years and in NZ for 25 years.
Would love to have a go at Kitesurfing and surfing as would my 16 y. o. boy and was wondering if anyone would be willing to take a newbie and/or my boy out (or would have a boy who would hook up with my boy - apart from sport - Aikido, Volleyball, fitness his other interests are XBox, playing dota, music, playing guitar). I am reasonably fit and my son is quite fit, we are both comfortable in the sea.
Living in Parrearra so anywhere between Noosa and Caloundra would be fine
I have a good sense of humour, always loved sport, kayaking, running, cycling, always loved being on and in the water.
If anyone knows of a minimal for someone 193tall and 89kg (7'2, 21, 2,5 upwards) in really good conditions at a really good price I might be tempted.
cheers

Rails
QLD, 1370 posts
26 Dec 2016 10:11AM
Thumbs Up

Glad you finally made it

check out the link; www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/General/How-good-were-your-lessons/

most people are are going to tell you to get a lesson, probably money well spent

finally
4 posts
27 Dec 2016 12:24PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Rails
thanks for your reply and advice - will have a look at whats available in the area and by the sound of thinks it would be a good idea to observe some of the lessons if the Tutors are actually interested in teaching before committing any $$$

AquaPlow
QLD, 1051 posts
29 Dec 2016 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

Finally - top of the season - you sound over qualified for the job on offer!!
JIC there is a sticky at the top of this forum. follow it thru onto Google maps..
There are 4 categories.
For shops & Lessons Tick the box and follow thru by clicking on the shop - Sunny coast covered - most lessons come through a shop. There are a few private operators but you get what you pay for and often there are good deals available with Lessons and equipment which doe s not have to be new.
The sites one is not quiet so obvious as the guide covers about 400 Kms so scroll thru to Sunny coast.
The satellite view is G8 for detail.

For someone in the sport the following is fairly obvious but as a newbie... If you take to the sport you will find in say two years you are likely to have a 2-3 kite quiver and at least two boards, and probable a kite surf board too. The dominate type of kite especially as a beginner is one with an Inflatable Leading Edge (LEI) . These come when new with a pump, a safety leash, a small repair kit and a bar with kite lines. The bar and lines are dominantly usable across all LEI kites - there is (as always!!) an exception, may be 8 - 12% of kites (a total =guess) have 5 lines attached to the kite. The vast majority have 4. The other difference to be aware of is the line length. Most people do not bother too much with changing lengths. Length range 21 to 27 meters. You can use these on say a 9M kite and also say a 12M kite.

So buying a learning machine can double as a wave kite for surfing / down winders later - they share a number of characteristics. Your first kite is likely to be targeted at your weight range for average conditions here. Higher winds = smaller kite , Bigger board = less power required to get going. If you are interested have a browse thru the buy and sell section on this forum. The Search function gives you a massive range of the brands on the market but you will find shops locally tend to sell their favorite / reliable brands. Most shops have a range and offer demo gear too but not to beginners!!

A lot of knowledge around. The Newbies / Tick & Tricks section can be real gold for information as you learn and need equipment advice..
As a guide it is easier to start / learn in flat water away from waves. Ideal wind strength is from 15 knots through to say 25 knots - regardless you take what is on offer and you rely on your instructor. So Lakes and river mouths mostly along the shore line as this is where the wind is clean...
(Clean = smooth steady flow)..but there are always trade-offs..

NB Before you think you have found a bargain and splash cash. (GUMTREE // EBAY) .. get a lesson or two get an understanding and do not get tempted to buy an old unsuitable kite because you are in a hurry or it looks brand new never / hardly ever used. Treat like buying a car new off the forecourt you know what you are getting there is back-up.. 2nd hand well know your market and or get advice - my son just sold two 2nd hand kites to a very happy kiter in WA - terrific condition. Most all Buy Sells on this Forum are good.

Cheers
AP...

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Queensland

"NEW Newbie" started by finally