Forums > Kitesurfing Queensland

Hervey Bay - Wetsuit required?

Created by K642 > 9 months ago, 25 Aug 2015
K642
QLD, 2 posts
25 Aug 2015 7:49PM
Thumbs Up

Hi I am moving to Hervey bay from the UK for work. I am hoping to do some kiting when there. What is
the water temp like? Do I need a wetsuit and if so shorty or long?

glendog
QLD, 520 posts
25 Aug 2015 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

Seriously? What colour shirt do you think i should where today? Go for a swim when you get here and decide for yourself hahaha they do sell wettys here ya know.

Ps what do you think i should have for dinner tonight?

BennyB12
QLD, 918 posts
26 Aug 2015 12:12PM
Thumbs Up

Never mind him mate were not all wankers down here... You should be fine without a wetty, especially summer... Heaps of kiting to be done, bit sharks off Fraser Island but just ask the locals where the best spot is when you get here or just have a wander... Enjoy your time in Hervey bud, top spot....

BurkeyBoy
QLD, 549 posts
26 Aug 2015 4:29PM
Thumbs Up

Hey man. I'm an expat been in the Bay for years now. Kiting can be awesome here, you're in for a treat. I occasionally wear a wetty in the depth of winter, though just a 3mm spring suit. Send me a message when your here and I'll help out with when, where etc. Don't worry about the Fraser sharks mentioned by Benny, I've kited here for 7 years and have only seen one when offshore a bit, which is rare. On the far side of Fraser Island they're pretty thick, but it's fine down the beach here.

Hardcarve1
QLD, 548 posts
26 Aug 2015 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
glendog said..
Seriously? What colour shirt do you think i should where today? Go for a swim when you get here and decide for yourself hahaha they do sell wettys here ya know.

I think the same thing and agree so no red thumbs from me. It must be part of the "Can someone please think for me generation".

gokid
QLD, 491 posts
27 Aug 2015 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
glendog said..

Thats a little bit harsh Glendog

Think you need to leave the Goldy and move to the Sunny Coast

Rails
QLD, 1371 posts
27 Aug 2015 2:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
glendog said..

suggest crow or humble pie??

djt91184
QLD, 1211 posts
27 Aug 2015 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

Poor geezer is just asking a question on a stupid forum for stupid questions, and gets shot to pieces by people who have the time to read and reply but no common courtesy. Bud id say once you acclimatize you will definitely require a wettie for instance I went for a surf this arve and used a 3/2 as I carry bugger all insulating fat.

BurkeyBoy
QLD, 549 posts
27 Aug 2015 7:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
djt91184 said..
Poor geezer is just asking a question on a stupid forum for stupid questions, and gets shot to pieces by people who have the time to read and reply but no common courtesy. Bud id say once you acclimatize you will definitely require a wettie for instance I went for a surf this arve and used a 3/2 as I carry bugger all insulating fat.

did you just call me fat?

djt91184
QLD, 1211 posts
27 Aug 2015 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

You got it wrong you are 1000degrees sexy

fuall
WA, 375 posts
25 Sep 2015 7:56AM
Thumbs Up

Bloody Qlders! LOL i'll be there for Xmas.i'll bring some wind from the West for ya's yew!

czezz
18 posts
25 Sep 2015 3:26PM
Thumbs Up

Hey, Im coming there at the end of October for 2-3 weeks and it is actually good question to bring it with me or not ?
What I understand form BurkeyBoy's post I dont need it, right ?
It will be late spring at that time...

BurkeyBoy
QLD, 549 posts
25 Sep 2015 5:53PM
Thumbs Up

You won't need a wetsuit, just sunscreen :)

czezz
18 posts
25 Sep 2015 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

I hope I can get one (sunscreen) down there. Dont want to overload my luggage, haha ;)
Thanks for reply.

czezz
18 posts
16 Oct 2015 6:19PM
Thumbs Up

Hey, I see wind forecast is not very promising. Therefore will probably spend more time to do surfing than kiting.
In this situation do I still need no wetsuit ?

My luggage is already at the limit, so probably I will need to buy one after arrival.
Any suggestions where can I get some cheap stuff ? I will be for the first week at Sunshine Coast.

Underoath
QLD, 2429 posts
16 Oct 2015 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

Kited all winter further southin a rashie.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Queensland

"Hervey Bay - Wetsuit required?" started by K642