Forums > Kitesurfing Queensland

Green island North queensland

Created by Jeddah > 9 months ago, 31 May 2015
Jeddah
2 posts
31 May 2015 9:22AM
Thumbs Up

Hi I'm visiting cairns this winter and thinking of packing my kite and heading out on a daily basis to green island. Any advice welcome, regular kiters there? Launch sites? Rules and regulations? Wind looks pretty consistent during sept. Cheapest way of getting over?
thanks

djt91184
QLD, 1211 posts
2 Jun 2015 10:47PM
Thumbs Up

Talking to some locals at yorkees knob last yr winter apparently its the goods ferry goes everyday.

Loftywinds
QLD, 2060 posts
3 Jun 2015 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

I've been to Green Island several times, not for kiting, but for diving and snorkeling.

It's a great place - for moms and their screaming kids!

But on the rear of the island opposite the pier side, there is a good take off spot, with a sandy bottom. After about 2 metres in, it's all reef. It's the only place you can kite (take off) from, as you may get arrested doing it near the tourist, pier side. So once you're up, keep away from being tempted to circle the island or anything like that.

Booties are a must!

Watch out for a left over pillon and pier on the southern side of the Island closer to the ferry pier, as it sticks out of the water on low tide. But since you won't go there, you should be ok.

Usual SE trade winds. If Yorkey's Knob or Palm Cove is blowing so will Green Island. That's usually the marker I would go for.

Believe me, I've been there without a kite and wondered the same thing, kicking myself for bringing one over.

You can also ask Cairns Kiteboarding what they think.

Cheers

Kraut
WA, 542 posts
6 Jun 2015 11:00AM
Thumbs Up

Been on the island for a week end of May a few years ago. Been kiting almost every day and by ourselves although only for a few hours until the tide took all the water with it and it became ankle deep or less around midday every day. Apart from this limitation and lowish wind it was heaven and as Lofty said launch from the other, less busy end of the island is pretty ok and basically side shore. There are always tourists walking around as it is a tiny island but they usually end up on the downwind side on the main beach, or around the jetty area. Not sure whether it is worth the daily ferry ride but certainly kitable and beautiful.

Jeddah
2 posts
9 Jun 2015 7:47PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the information. Much appreciated, will give it a go

Loftywinds
QLD, 2060 posts
10 Jun 2015 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jeddah said..
Thanks for all the information. Much appreciated, will give it a go