Forums > Kitesurfing Queensland

Best downwinders SEQ

Created by Tribe > 9 months ago, 7 Dec 2015
Tribe
QLD, 2 posts
7 Dec 2015 6:30AM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys, long time lurker, looking to compile a list of the best downwinders from Gold Coast to Noosa.

Preferably those with some flatwater and bus stop at both ends. So far I can only think of Sandgate/Brighton which is only 2-3km.

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
7 Dec 2015 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

Have a read of the article in freedom kite mag. We did a spread on downwinders for the SE.

gokid
QLD, 491 posts
7 Dec 2015 11:42PM
Thumbs Up

Any of the 3 stretches of beaches on the Sunshine Coast are great

Sunshine or Castaways to Coolum 15 km

Yaroomba to Cotton Tree 18 km

or S Bend to Dicky Beach 15 km

or the reserve in a southernly

Or you could do Castaways to Cotton Tree 38 km{ my favourite DW }

Or if Im feeling energetic Sunshine Beach to Dicky Beach 52 km

gokid
QLD, 491 posts
7 Dec 2015 11:45PM
Thumbs Up

Talking with a mate today

Might do Double Island Point to home Mudjimba

110-120 km soon

SibboV1
368 posts
9 Dec 2015 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
gokid said..
Or you could do Castaways to Cotton Tree 38 km{ my favourite DW }

I was rooted when I did the above with you in reverse, so I can't imagine how insane DI point to Mudjimba would be!

Tribe
QLD, 2 posts
10 Dec 2015 12:12AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys.

Yeah that endurance run from DI Point sounds insane! How would you best prepare for a long day on the board?

gokid
QLD, 491 posts
10 Dec 2015 7:56AM
Thumbs Up

The best preparation for doing long downwinders is doing downwinders

AquaPlow
QLD, 1051 posts
10 Dec 2015 3:39PM
Thumbs Up

Tribe - hi- for specifics open the WHERE TO KITE in SEQLD sticky at the top of this forum goes to google map. expand the list of locations (left hand side)

The down winder start stop points and brief description are in yellow. click on the one U r interested in and it zooms in. When I set this up 3-4 years back it allowed a satellite view too which I really like but at present it is just the map. Kemp90's magazine article expanded on these for good detail and colour.
Be wary of the GOkid's casual references to huge downwinders - he is a downwind head banger (wish I was too!!) and probably training for one of those epic holidays offered in N. Brazil which sound fantastic.
On the Sunny coast, as a rule of thumb the N to S runs tend to be smoother better conditions than the S to N but both are fun. At the extreme low and hi tides it can be a bit dumpee. The time frame for the same run can differ a lot. Mostly due to how you track. If you concentrate on the wave zone and in then it is often 1/2 the time compared to running from shore out to the shark nets and back. That is dependent on what stage you are at = experience.
Cheers
AP

djt91184
QLD, 1211 posts
16 Dec 2015 12:43PM
Thumbs Up

Old woman to di just makes me laugh done it in a yatch many times but kiting is pushing it

gokid
QLD, 491 posts
16 Dec 2015 3:42PM
Thumbs Up

We never got the conditions

Was Southernly wind the whole time

Is doable for sure

Maybe take 6-7 hours

Going around Hells Gate would be the most difficult and dangerous part

djt91184
QLD, 1211 posts
16 Dec 2015 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

Definitely doable with that distance i wouldn't be doing to many silly buggers, yeh theres a big recess at lagoona bay Noosa to navigate

jkiter
QLD, 139 posts
1 Jan 2016 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

Narrowneck to redcliff is a fun one! legs pretty jelly by the end though...

Vatos Locos
230 posts
5 Jan 2016 2:45PM
Thumbs Up

Hit up Moti Levey he's a super cool guy crazy kiter and defiantly the king on downwinders pretty sure if he hasn't downwindered it it can't be downwinded

Also a must do is the famous annual palmy to palmy downwinder palm beach on the Gold Coast to palm beach in Sydney on the northern beaches it's a long one but a fun one

Vatos Locos
230 posts
5 Jan 2016 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tribe said...
Thanks guys.

Yeah that endurance run from DI Point sounds insane! How would you best prepare for a long day on the board?

Go do a massive leg session at the gym heaps and heaps of heavy squats massive amount of calve raisers and don't forget the dead lifts and a must do is dead lifts and shrugs on the morning of your enduro kite

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Queensland

"Best downwinders SEQ" started by Tribe