Forums > Kitesurfing   South Australia

South Australian Lakes

Created by CmonWind > 9 months ago, 22 Sep 2012
CmonWind
SA, 42 posts
22 Sep 2012 9:32PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Guys,

Anyone know of some good lake spots to check out? Went for a drive to Lake Alexandrina and around Goowa way and seemed like a lot of good water but was struggling to find a decent spot to launch from.

Cheers.

DaGodfather
SA, 280 posts
22 Sep 2012 10:15PM
Thumbs Up

Not many launch places on Lake Alexandrina, but the best ones are Boggy Lake and Milang. Milang is on Google Earth, Boggy is more popular but you'll need directions.

Goolwa Lake is kiteable but not the easiest (gusty, nowhere to land in an emergency), there are a couple of launch spots, but if ur in Goolwa it's better to go to Murray Mouth (about 10km from the town, on the other side of Hindmarsh Island, bitumen rd all the way).

All the above require at least intermediate skill level, if you're a beginner, stick to the ocean beaches.

pirrad
SA, 850 posts
22 Sep 2012 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

Porters Lagoon, if you fancy a drive in the country.

pneucube
SA, 112 posts
23 Sep 2012 8:53AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Pirrad,
Tell us more about Porters Lagoon, conditions, wind direction etc
Jim

CmonWind
SA, 42 posts
23 Sep 2012 6:54PM
Thumbs Up

Beauty, cheers for the replys and advice

mick14
SA, 343 posts
25 Sep 2012 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

Nobody could ever find Porters Lagoon (unless they have access to, say, Google?)

KiterBen
SA, 161 posts
26 Sep 2012 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

Thats very true Mike.

Genetrix
SA, 236 posts
26 Sep 2012 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

I always wanted to see if porters was any good for speedkiting during a big front.

dazza5172
SA, 311 posts
27 Sep 2012 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

Top of lake Alexandrina, go to Boggy lake, most predictable sea breeze and silk flat water, good crew, cant go past it

CmonWind
SA, 42 posts
28 Sep 2012 10:11PM
Thumbs Up

went to porters lagoon today and it was pretty bad. looked great from the road and shore just like the photos but it was extremly muddy and the water only sat max 4inchs above the mud. The water stank terribly and was the saltiest ive ever experienced. ruined my eyes for the day. i definatly wouldnt recommend trying it out this season.

CmonWind
SA, 42 posts
28 Sep 2012 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

and when i said mud, it was more like quick sand, went out 20m and i was waist deep. went all over the lagoon and the water never got deeper than 4inchs with the mud underneath.

pirrad
SA, 850 posts
28 Sep 2012 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

sorry if i gave you a "bum steer" there, had no idea of the current water level, fingers crossed for a wet winter in that area next year, it's got potential
hope you enjoyed Wallaroo,my fingers are crossed for a bit more luck tomorrow

CmonWind
SA, 42 posts
29 Sep 2012 12:56PM
Thumbs Up

na dont give it a second thought , it turned out to be a funny adventure and we did have some fun at the beach.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   South Australia

"South Australian Lakes" started by CmonWind