Forums > Kitesurfing   South Australia

First step for beginners

Created by mmmjosh > 9 months ago, 9 Jan 2013
mmmjosh
1 posts
9 Jan 2013 4:59PM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys,
Kite surfing is something I've always wanted to get into, but never happened. Well I have just moved to grange, woohoo, and want to get stuck into it right away.

Are there any beginner events in SAKSA that guys like me can attend? I'm thinking perhaps I should buy some gear first is that the best bet?

Will a decent background in sailing/surfing help to learn by myself (with some guidance), or are lessons from an instructor a definite?

Anyway thanks for any help and hopefully catch you guys out there soon

Cheers

Josh

Edit: Windsup and bastions shop in semaphore look like good spots to start and lessons arnt as expensive as I thought. Will use search next time :)

Franny18
QLD, 11 posts
9 Jan 2013 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Josh, I only started this summer.
I went to Onboard in Glenelg who put me on to the right gear, then i got lessons with Matt from Windsup which I highly recommend.
Matt has a range of gear, so you dont need to have anything to do the lessons, and he will be able to give a non bias view on what sort of kite / board is right for you if you want to buy online (plenty of stuff for sale on here).
good luck!
Franny

Franny18
QLD, 11 posts
9 Jan 2013 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

josh, and i forgot to mention, i have a lot of experience in Sail boarding, but would still recommend lessons even if you are an expert sailboarder / surfer, as you will get your self and your kite in trouble if you just go out and have a crack. they have a lot of power, and you need to learn the basic such as self rescue and launching etc which Matt starts you off on.

Jegs
SA, 7 posts
10 Jan 2013 12:45AM
Thumbs Up

Lessons are pretty much a must do, I'm using Red Baron down at Largs.

As Franny said the kites can generate awesome power real quick so there are a few safety points that are needed and some recovery techniques like upwind body dragging to find your board. Losing a board or damaging your kites after a crash can be an expensive lesson so lessons are not as expensive from that perspective. Progress will likely be quicker too.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   South Australia

"First step for beginners" started by mmmjosh