Created by undertow > 9 months ago, 16 Aug 2018
undertow
QLD, 70 posts
16 Aug 2018 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

Disclosure - ride/sell whats good and works
Experience- since the start, all styles
Trolls - F off

Got some new kites yesty so a nice surprise. Yew, who dosen't like new gear?

Anyway as it goes bugger all wind when ya rock to the beach with new toys.

Bonus for me though was i got a 17m for first time ever so thought i would give it a crack. After a pump up and lookover (made a quick vid) headed out. Conditions were 8-10 lucky to see the odd cap- decide to have a run on foil. Heaps of power no probs, the thing that i noticed was how it just sits solid in the air in really light stuff , even dips, riding downwind at it. Also for a 17 it would be faster than my current 14m kite (enduro) my weight 105kgs so not light. Decide next to try twintip and to my amazement can ride upwind and throw the odd trick so considering the wind/ weight it's some achievement. Super stable and smooth, no flapping whatsoever (new reinforcements/v connections) Very impressed and glad i got a big mother.

Today 12m, gusty

Gave it to a mate for a run in small waves. He's a rabbit though so was reallly powered but seemed to do well.
When i jumped on was nicely powered for my weight i could really crank it hard in turns and definitely does feel quite nimble for a 12m.
Wasn't best for freestyle (choppy) but got a few nice boosts, went exploring downwind and got back out of flukey stuff. Other guy was on 17m so again power for size seems good but very usable windrange.

Once again the way it just sits and behaves just feels like it's been nailed.

Tech- notes

The more i look at it the more you can tell it is quite different to last years again (which was a great step from b10)

No deflate on center strut (more simple)

Different leading edge profile (solid in center and nicely tapered to c tips.

I would say a nice arc through centre but very c shape tips.

Struts seem to have more thickness and taper

Trailing edge wingtip extra reinforcement stiffness leading into v double attachments) new idea

One less pulley, inflate valve cover/reinforcement

Lighter LE Reinforcements

Short summary- Fast, super smooth, feels great best to try yourself

Will post more in depth after more sessions/pushing

Questions welcome!

undertow
QLD, 70 posts
17 Aug 2018 9:12AM
Thumbs Up

undertow
QLD, 70 posts
17 Aug 2018 9:34AM
Thumbs Up

Some more notes on feel-

Bar sheeting is more progressive than last year. Depowers but canopy is very stable and dosen't just totally switch off, a difference from the shorter sweet spot from other years. No flapping at all.
No unwanted wingtip feeling in bar whatsoever like some other kites i have flown over the years. Just feels perfectly tuned and connected, don't really know how to describe it, you just go and smile.
I would say drift is a bit better again, confirmed both on 17m in super light and the 12 in waves.
Turning speed- 12 feels like my 10m from last year 17 like my 14 other brand kite

Negatives- they took away deflate on center strut, takes a little longer to get air out but same as other kites. I guess the numpties got confused on previous models.

Stu101
131 posts
3 Sep 2018 7:17AM
Thumbs Up

On the bandit 2018 you needed the middle strut valve to let the kite down as if you used the big one and left the cap off it damaged the kite when packing up. They have fixed this on the 2019 with a Velcro cover over the hard sup valve cover haven't they? hence no need to remove the centre strut for deflate. 2018 model is the only one of them all I have used the centre strut deflate instead of the new fast deflate and only because it saves having to undo the hard inflate cover and do up again to put it away safe rather than leave both open.
Does the new wingtip connection alter the feel of the kite at all? Apart from the hard valve cover I think the 2018's rocked and best model they have done! not tried 2019 yet of course.

Stu101
131 posts
3 Sep 2018 7:18AM
Thumbs Up

Did the coral and slate colour get released with the summer edition really like that colour. looks fresh.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
6 Sep 2018 9:22AM
Thumbs Up

that spot looks amazing!

chillout
WA, 38 posts
8 Oct 2018 3:23PM
Thumbs Up

Any opinions on the 2018 bandit performance (drift and turning) in waves? I have tried them on flat water only though thinking of changing over to the bandit for the waves - currently on religions.

undertow
QLD, 70 posts
29 Oct 2018 11:54AM
Thumbs Up

Hey bossman, the v connection does keep the trailing edge tighter when depowered. So better steering depowered and a little more barpressure sheeted out as kite depower is more progressive. Took away centre strut valve which i didn't mind could've still kept it on bigger ones. Is a totally different kite than last years.

undertow
QLD, 70 posts
29 Oct 2018 12:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
chillout said..
Any opinions on the 2018 bandit performance (drift and turning) in waves? I have tried them on flat water only though thinking of changing over to the bandit for the waves - currently on religions.

I loved my 2018 in waves . I would ride it any day over some top "wave" kites i've tried. Turning is great, drift is a very general word to describe a kite in waves. It will still steer fine even outside the window

Stu101
131 posts
21 Dec 2018 12:29AM
Thumbs Up

Do you know if they have fitted the cheap pulleys on the 2019 like the 2017 and 2018 ones that rust like hell and ruin your canopy? Just taken my 2018 version out for about the fifth time and the pulleys have rusted on them and stained my kite. Such cheap metal used in them! The old ones never used to do this guessing they have bought a few thousand they need to get rid off. This isn't very acceptable on a kite that costs hundreds! Happened on my 2017 ones as well though luckily didn't stain the canopy on that one like they just have on my newer 2018!! :-(

Fly on da wall
SA, 725 posts
21 Dec 2018 6:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bossstyle said..
Do you know if they have fitted the cheap pulleys on the 2019 like the 2017 and 2018 ones that rust like hell and ruin your canopy? Just taken my 2018 version out for about the fifth time and the pulleys have rusted on them and stained my kite. Such cheap metal used in them! The old ones never used to do this guessing they have bought a few thousand they need to get rid off. This isn't very acceptable on a kite that costs hundreds! Happened on my 2017 ones as well though luckily didn't stain the canopy on that one like they just have on my newer 2018!! :-(

That's terrible.. Surely that's a warranty claim...?

holgs
WA, 294 posts
28 Dec 2018 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bossstyle said..

Yes, same pulleys as 2018. Mine started rusting after just a couple of sessions. Some bits on the bar rust too but to be fair, some other manufacturers' bars do too (e.g. Core, Naish). It's a shame - makes an amazing kite look cheaply made. I don't know enough about stainless steel to say whether it's not marine grade or whether it's just surface contamination with non-stainless steel during machining. I hope that it's the latter which should make it a cosmetic problem only.

Adam''KiteRepair
NSW, 104 posts
30 Dec 2018 10:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
holgs said..

Bossstyle said..

Yes, same pulleys as 2018. Mine started rusting after just a couple of sessions. Some bits on the bar rust too but to be fair, some other manufacturers' bars do too (e.g. Core, Naish). It's a shame - makes an amazing kite look cheaply made. I don't know enough about stainless steel to say whether it's not marine grade or whether it's just surface contamination with non-stainless steel during machining. I hope that it's the latter which should make it a cosmetic problem only.

That rust is called "tea staining" and applys to stainless. Even 316 grade. Salt air will do that, even to the highest quality stainless. It's cosmetic in this application. Fone pulleys have always done that, aswell as other brands, just stands out more as their pulleys are white where other brands tend to be black ronstan.
I havnt come across an fone pulley yet that has broken which alot better then I can say for some other brands.
No need to stress about it.

Stu101
131 posts
30 Jan 2019 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah tell a perspective buyer that when you want to sell it on again and have rust splodge stains on the kite material. Looks very unattractive. I have owned bandits for years. The bandit 9 and below did not have this so it is definitely a change of materials on F-ones part. Such a shame. I won't don't think I will be forking out hard earned cash for new f-one Kites until I know this problem is fixed. We test Kites have pictures of the faulty pulleys on their review of the 2012 bandit showing this where they test four of the top Kites including f-one. There picture looks mild compared to the rusting on my pulleys.

Livit
WA, 542 posts
31 Jan 2019 7:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bossstyle said..
Yeah tell a perspective buyer that when you want to sell it on again and have rust splodge stains on the kite material. Looks very unattractive. I have owned bandits for years. The bandit 9 and below did not have this so it is definitely a change of materials on F-ones part. Such a shame. I won't don't think I will be forking out hard earned cash for new f-one Kites until I know this problem is fixed. We test Kites have pictures of the faulty pulleys on their review of the 2012 bandit showing this where they test four of the top Kites including f-one. There picture looks mild compared to the rusting on my pulleys.

I had 2017-2018 and now 2019. None of them has had that staining issue despite being used heaps.

Do you pack your gear wet and leave in the bag until next session?

Stu101
131 posts
8 Feb 2019 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

No always dried before packing away. Doesn't matter any way they still rust.

Only used this bandit 11 kite 5 times from new in about a month and a half when this happened. We test kites found the same as in their review of the bandit 12 as well. Tried to email fone about it but they just ignore your emails.

Livit
WA, 542 posts
9 Feb 2019 3:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bossstyle said..

Only used this bandit 11 kite 5 times from new in about a month and a half when this happened. We test kites found the same as in their review of the bandit 12 as well. Tried to email fone about it but they just ignore your emails.

Sorry but this pics scream moisture.....

quikdrawMcgraw
1221 posts
9 Feb 2019 5:07PM
Thumbs Up

Does everyone hang their kite on the clothes line after every session or something?

Woott
WA, 127 posts
10 Feb 2019 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Livit said..

Bossstyle said..

Are you serious? This is simply using **** materials.

Livit
WA, 542 posts
10 Feb 2019 1:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Woott said..

Livit said..

Bossstyle said..

As I said, I had and still have Bandits. Never had that issue. I have had the same pulleys on all 7 kites I got from F-one.

Even SS 316 stains and those pics screams lack of care. It has clearly been packed and left in bag whilst still moist....

Earlier on this thread, someone here has explained what "tea staining" on stainless is. Just scroll up and you'll get the brief explanation.

magnusod
29 posts
10 Feb 2019 2:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Livit said..

Woott said..

Livit said..

Bossstyle said..

As I said, I had and still have Bandits. Never had that issue. I have had the same pulleys on all 7 kites I got from F-one.

Even SS 316 stains and those pics screams lack of care. It has clearly been packed and left in bag whilst still moist....

Earlier on this thread, someone here has explained what "tea staining" on stainless is. Just scroll up and you'll get the brief explanation.

Ha ha....yeah what idiot would think that a kite should be able to withstand moisture.....

JZOrewa
47 posts
26 Mar 2019 12:01PM
Thumbs Up

Funny that I had a Bandit 3 years ago and I was very careless. Used to roll up the kite completely wet with sand and salt and leave this way for months and never had a single spot of rust.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
26 Mar 2019 2:00PM
Thumbs Up

my boys 8m bandit pulleys started to show rust discolouration after a month or so... didn't affect their performance, but I did notice it - well before this post come up anyway. Just supporting the guy who seems others are denying the reality of the rust that is very apparent in the photos.

Swavek
WA, 393 posts
26 Mar 2019 7:03PM
Thumbs Up

Got 11m Bandit 2019 for about 3 months. Very happy with the kite, amazing wind range, fast turning, smooth, great for boosting and hooked in mucking around (I don't unhook) . Good for 18 -28 knots with gusts to 30. My 11 Pivot was peaking at 20 knots well overpowered at 22.

Well worth to demo 2019 Bandit if you are thinking of another kite.

Still like my Pivot 8m but I use it less and less as I need 23-24 knots to really have fun on it at 105 kg.

Stu101
131 posts
26 Mar 2019 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

I have had bandits for years now. It is only last three years models the pulleys have rusted badly on.
its a kite for use on the sea! Of course it will pick up moisture and occasionally get wet. These newer bandits are the only ones that have rusted out of all the brands I have used over the last 12 years including flexi, wainman, ozone and fones.
It is definitely a defective material done are using. Let's hope they fix it on the 2020 ones this year!!!!
Ruining other wise great kites.
How does the pivots fly in comparison thinking of crossing to them this year? A little more aggression would be better but not at exspense of too much range. How is jumping and hang on those pivots In comparrison please mate?

Swavek
WA, 393 posts
27 Mar 2019 11:32AM
Thumbs Up

Like 8m Pivot a lot - great for boosting, great float, lots of grunt (generally pick one size smaller compared to other brands). They are quite heavy construction though, will not stay up in the air during lulls, not as good as Bandits for foiling, and smaller wind range than Bandits (esp in larger sizes).

Heavy construction does not necessarily mean more durable. Busted leading edge on my 2017 Pivot twice (symmetrically on both sides - own the kite since new).

Stu101
131 posts
30 Apr 2019 7:02PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah they knew that was a fault on the pivots and hence now use a new thread to try and stop that happening. Still tempted with a pivot in a 9m until f-one change the pulleys.

Stu101
131 posts
30 Apr 2019 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Livit said..

Bossstyle said..

No ****! You do know we are talking about water kites! You know that stuff that creates moisture! Shouldn't happen. Never used to. Defective cheaper parts used.

fossantani
1 posts
9 May 2019 12:43AM
Thumbs Up

So what should one do about the pulleys? What is the best way to replace them? Any advice? Can one buy good ones that are non F-one? (I still don't understand why F-One would not supply replacement ones, looks like a security issue to me if the rust corrodes the bridle...)

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
9 May 2019 10:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
fossantani said..
So what should one do about the pulleys? What is the best way to replace them? Any advice? Can one buy good ones that are non F-one? (I still don't understand why F-One would not supply replacement ones, looks like a security issue to me if the rust corrodes the bridle...)

Try the Duotone ones. No moving parts or metal.

Livit
WA, 542 posts
9 May 2019 9:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
fossantani said..

It is called tea staining. It is a cosmetic issue that doesn't affect the structural integrity or the lifetime of the material.

Bossstyle posted photos that shows the kite or pulleys were packed away whilst still wet (see that wet sand still on them?). I have a few wash trough made of stainless steel 316 and it Also does the same in areas where water doesn't drain properly.

One will argue that water kites should be able to withstand moisture however all manufacturer will advise (for a reason) to make sure Kites are dry when packed away for a while.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"F-One Bandit 2019 Reviews" started by undertow