Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Evo 2019

Created by eppo > 9 months ago, 28 Dec 2018
eppo
WA, 9378 posts
28 Dec 2018 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

Jason from Westoz let my brother and I take a 10m 2019 Duotone Evo up to Lancelin for three odd days.

You may or may not have read, the crew I ride with (who have 2016 and 2017s in their quivers) and myself, were less than impressed with the 2018 change from the five to the three strut evo. Appalled would be a more accurate word.

Well we rode the 2017 and the 2019 back to back from 17 to 25 knots over the three days (in beach slop, flattish water at the point and the waves out back) and I suppose all I can say is the evo is back!!

Really impressed with how much faster it is (being three Strut), jumps more vertical and the drift of course is much better. All three strut lighter qualities you'd expect. Hangtime is similar although you need to pull earlier on the downloop when looping for it to catch you as easily.

But it now flies like the north kites we have come to know. It doesn't flop about like a trumpeters lips when depowered, hanging off the front lines for dear life. The connection between front and back lines through the canopy is back. Hence a very direct and solid feel. The trailing edge stays tight as a drum and the angle of attack is changed without deforming the canopy.

Anyhow, if like us, you were throughly unimpressed with the 2018 changes it is worth trying the 2019 Evo.

It feels and performs like a north kite again.

mazdon
1196 posts
28 Dec 2018 9:08AM
Thumbs Up

And yet it's a duo tone!!!

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
28 Dec 2018 2:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..
Jason from Westoz let my brother and I take a 10m 2019 Duotone Evo up to Lancelin for three odd days.

You may or may not have read, the crew I ride with (who have 2016 and 2017s in their quivers) and myself, were less than impressed with the 2018 change from the five to the three strut evo. Appalled would be a more accurate word.

Well we rode the 2017 and the 2019 back to back from 17 to 25 knots over the three days (in beach slop, flattish water at the point and the waves out back) and I suppose all I can say is the evo is back!!

Really impressed with how much faster it is (being three Strut), jumps more vertical and the drift of course is much better. All three strut lighter qualities you'd expect. Hangtime is similar although you need to pull earlier on the downloop when looping for it to catch you as easily.

But it now flies like the north kites we have come to know. It doesn't flop about like a trumpeters lips when depowered, hanging off the front lines for dear life. The connection between front and back lines through the canopy is back. Hence a very direct and solid feel. The trailing edge stays tight as a drum and the angle of attack is changed without deforming the canopy.

Anyhow, if like us, you were throughly unimpressed with the 2018 changes it is worth trying the 2019 Evo.

What colour did you have
don't believe the missus let you go away with the lads again

eppo
WA, 9378 posts
28 Dec 2018 2:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said..

eppo said..

What colour did you have

She didn't ... brother blew in on the family holiday for three days ) ????...

.... my reference to north is for two reasons. The comparison 2017 evo was north so one could not say it has the duotone feel back and the second reason is Duotone has to be the worst damn name for a kite brand ever ...

mazdon
1196 posts
31 Dec 2018 12:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..

cauncy said..

eppo said..

What colour did you have

.... and the second reason is Duotone has to be the worst damn name for a kite brand ever ...

Agree!!!

Need to ride and thrash my current norths into the ground and then seriously consider a change up as per AndreCs reviews in next quiver.

but if they still end up feeling nice/best in the air, name be damned

eppo
WA, 9378 posts
1 Jan 2019 9:02AM
Thumbs Up

We had the nexus up there as well.

It's a very different feel but a good kite.

Loops nicely but like the evo without power.

We would have the evo Over the nexus without a doubt but that's because we have been north riders for years And it's what we prefer.

Kooked-as
1 posts
14 Jan 2019 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

What bar did you use with it? And how did you find the upwind? I've used a 12m demo a few times and found it a little slow to turn and struggled to hold ground. I was using a click bar with 22m lines.

eppo
WA, 9378 posts
15 Jan 2019 8:11AM
Thumbs Up

Used a normal 24m line bar (not the click bar).

This kite is anything but slow giving the looping we're doing.

. I'd say the 10m 2019 is as fast (close to anyway) as the 2016/2017 9m actually. Rips around the window.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
15 Jan 2019 9:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kooked-as said..
What bar did you use with it? And how did you find the upwind? I've used a 12m demo a few times and found it a little slow to turn and struggled to hold ground. I was using a click bar with 22m lines.

It's a 12, no 12 of any Kite is fast tbh

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Evo 2019" started by eppo