Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Airush Lithium 2018

Created by PusherII > 9 months ago, 29 Jan 2019
PusherII
56 posts
29 Jan 2019 3:10AM
Thumbs Up

I'm pretty sure i will buy a 10 and 14 lithium and here a question for you guys.
As you may know, in 2018 airush released 3 different models of the same lithium kite. Difference is basically in quality build

lithium progresion is let's say for beginner (less quality)
lithium progresion sps (intermediate quality)
lithium core (better quality over previous two)

My doubt is if i would go better with a progressione sps that is way cheaper (and lot used offers), or 2017 brand new model where i still can find some very good deal. 2017 lithium is unique model, so i could expect is the equivalent of 2018 lithium core....or not?? in that case, would be a no brainer 2017 choice...but maybe here there is somebody has a better knowledge about that

MikeC4
VIC, 10 posts
30 Jan 2019 1:59PM
Thumbs Up

I have run 3 separate seasons of Lithiums (2010, 2012, 2015) over the last 8 years.
Each year I have had both the 14 & 10 - for my 119kg/194cm frame. Recently sold my 8m as I barely used it.

Can only speak for the seasons I own/have owned.
The kites I have had are probably aligned to the Core in quality as there was no alternatives south of that.
Since buying the last lot of 2015 Lithiums, have had about 85 sessions on them (mainly the 14m).
Quality is outstanding and if folded right, they retain crispness for a long time.
Only issues I have had are with replacing the odd strut valve (easy fix), but I dare say that they would be common across the range of new Lithium kites. Shell quality is outstanding as I often self launch/land on the beach. Some minor wear and tear over the years, but no issues at all. Really good quality.

I read a review on the Lithiums recently (can't remember which site/magazine site), and they compared the Core as a bit more responsive to input.

If you're new to it, then go cheaper. If you're experienced and don't smash your gear up too much, then go Core - it'll last for ages.

PusherII
56 posts
30 Jan 2019 3:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MikeC4 said..
I have run 3 separate seasons of Lithiums (2010, 2012, 2015) over the last 8 years.
Each year I have had both the 14 & 10 - for my 119kg/194cm frame. Recently sold my 8m as I barely used it.

Can only speak for the seasons I own/have owned.
The kites I have had are probably aligned to the Core in quality as there was no alternatives south of that.
Since buying the last lot of 2015 Lithiums, have had about 85 sessions on them (mainly the 14m).
Quality is outstanding and if folded right, they retain crispness for a long time.
Only issues I have had are with replacing the odd strut valve (easy fix), but I dare say that they would be common across the range of new Lithium kites. Shell quality is outstanding as I often self launch/land on the beach. Some minor wear and tear over the years, but no issues at all. Really good quality.

I read a review on the Lithiums recently (can't remember which site/magazine site), and they compared the Core as a bit more responsive to input.

If you're new to it, then go cheaper. If you're experienced and don't smash your gear up too much, then go Core - it'll last for ages.

Thanks mate. Think i Will go for a core as i have 5 years EXP. I have a 17m and totally love It. With his 62 cm bar i can steer It very aggressive, faster than some 12 or 14 i had. Could u compare lithium with some others 3 struts kites? Maybe like bandit or similar

MikeC4
VIC, 10 posts
31 Jan 2019 1:44PM
Thumbs Up

I haven't tried too many other kites in my history, but I demo-ed a 14m Ozone Enduro on Monday 28th Jan.

Brief background: Solid intermediate windsurfer from 1998 until 2014 - Freeride, bump'n'jump, noob wave. Have sailed Marrawah, 13th Beach, Torquay, Warratah Bay/Sandy Point when at top of my game. Started kiting (Cocos/Zephyr) in 2011 on 14m Cabrinha Switchblade and tried a 12m North Rebel on a windier day............ but I was a hack then and any comparison would be useless (and out of date). Dropped Windsurfing in 2014 and exclusively kite now. As mentioned above, shifted to Airush Lithiums from 2011 after I got back from Cocos and have consistently had 10/14m quiver - turned over the same spec quiver several times. Lithium fanboy. Despite motorcycle crash (not my fault) late 2016, I have over 85 sessions on the current crop of 2015 Lithiums.
Board wise have a 142cm intermediate freeride and a flat and wide 5'10" quad to match. Getting into directional more so. Skills are OK, intermediate I guess. Small jumps, small waves/large bay chop waves and can turn the directional heel/toe and rip the kite directly across the window in a turn. The thing I can't do (yet??) is a foot-swap before/after a turn. I am wanting to focus more on directional/wave kiting...........so segueing onto the Ozone Enduro Demo the other day.

I have found the Lithiums fantastic. Loads of power for 119kg, predictable, great low end, stable, intuitive feel (for me) and don't need to watch it. One sweep and you're off. Put the back lines on rear tab and sped up the turning nicely, but left the bridle in factory position as moving them out caused some jelly-fishing deep in the window with my weight. I'm a basic jumper, but good to learn on. Kite does go upwind (I thought fine) and sits deep in the window as I've just found out. Solid feel and the relaunch is brilliant. Carry 14m in 18-25knots when it gets hard work. 10m from about 22-30. Had an 8m Lithium for 30+ but too hard - kite needs to be in the exact right spot in the window for my weight and the water state is hard work anyway, so not much fun for me. Standard Lithium riding style is me putting my weight into it to counter the power (as a general rule). So I am fairly committed in stance.

Enduro 14m demo-ed in 18+/- down to a struggling 16+/- knots last Monday (twin tip only). Not so much power low down, softer feel. Can't speak for top end as the wind was dropping. Sits way further up front of the window. Initially I was continually trying to position it deeper in the window like I do with the Lithium - all this did was push me further and further up-wind. Stalled a few times in the conditions. But the Enduro really goes upwind efficiently compared to the Lithium. This means adjusting my riding style and being a bit more up-right, not needing to counter as much power (good for directional). The Enduro was more intuitive to fly and adapted to it quickly being just a bit more responsive and the power up/down more connected with where the bar was at. More technical and have to fly it a bit more, so not a lock and load kite like the Lithium. But experimented with down wind de-powered stance and the Enduro is great for that - softer and not pulling me off the board nearly as much as the constant power of a Lithium. I expect for a heavy-weight, this will be a better intermediate all-rounder for me to get into the surf and start to finesse kiting a bit more rather than locking into power all the time. Water starting required more coordination pulling on the bar more progressively on the first sweep to get going. Faster moving kite and I ripped it deep in the window to see if there was any jelly-dishing - none - just the tips quivered a bit. No indication of any lack of control. Only relaunched once (on purpose) to see what it was like, but in 17 knots all was as predictable as expected, so can't speak for typical wipe out recovery and relaunch.

Over all, I am looking to switch - will need some time to really come to terms with Enduros and see if they truly are a good fit for me. If not, then I'll switch back in a subsequent year or two.
May sacrifice a few knots at the bottom end and need to change riding style, but the finesse of the kite (in comparison) and the indications that it'll be a more suitable crossover wave kite (for me ) has got me thinking I'll give them a go.

Cheers,
M

carbine
WA, 1440 posts
31 Jan 2019 2:53PM
Thumbs Up

Dude try an Ultra especially if you are getting in to Waves.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Airush Lithium 2018" started by PusherII