Forums > Kitesurfing   New South Wales

Right-Of-Way Botany Bay

Created by CrashTestOZ > 9 months ago, 20 Dec 2014
CrashTestOZ
QLD, 75 posts
20 Dec 2014 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

I am sure topics about kiteboarding safety get discussed very often and with good reason. I though I would ask for a confirmation about the right of way when kiteboarding.

I had a good session on Botany Bay the other weekend, it was busy as usual. I was kiteboarding back to the beach and noticed I was on a colision path with another kiteboarder (experienced) coming away from the beach. Since I recently read through the NSW Maritime Rules & Safety, I was certain that I should pass on my right (starboard) and the oncoming kiteboarder will pass me on my left.

We ended up playing chicken. I stopped about 20m away from the kiteboarder only to be yelled at!

So what should have happened in this situation? What are the Right-of-Way rules?

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
20 Dec 2014 11:01PM
Thumbs Up

I have no idea about 'rules', but every beach I have even been to operates like this;

If you are down wind of the oncoming kite, keep your kite low and bear downwind a safe distance.
If you are upwind, keep your kite high and stay aware to avoid collision.

If there are waves, give way to the person riding the wave.
If there is a trick zone, stay out of this area if your are only tacking...

If unsure, just ask the experienced locals how the spot works. Never met a kiter that isn't happy to chat to another kiter.

Stay safe.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
21 Dec 2014 11:27AM
Thumbs Up

Starboard tack has right of way. Up/downwind as above. Person coming off the beach has right of way.

Nobody follows any of those rules in Japan (much like on the roads) and the basic rules if "keep calm and be considerate" are enough to keep it mellow.

Waveswindy
NSW, 114 posts
28 Dec 2014 10:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kamikuza said..
Starboard tack has right of way. Up/downwind as above. Person coming off the beach has right of way.

Nobody follows any of those rules in Japan (much like on the roads) and the basic rules if "keep calm and be considerate" are enough to keep it mellow.

Yup.... I see a lot of people on collision courses. Cape town we kite with 300 kites out and few incidents. I agree with KAmikuza above. Essentially the person has right of way if his right hand is facing forward. Therefore, coming from the beach (botany) your right hand would be on the front of the bar.... if you coming back to the beach your left hand will be forward on the bar.

Something else... I see a few (Very few) kiters hugging the beach... its not cool and quite selfish. Therefore, they kite out for 200-300 meters turn around and go back to the beach. So they essentially take over the best part of the flat water or waves section. Its not cool...

CrashTestOZ
QLD, 75 posts
28 Dec 2014 10:38AM
Thumbs Up

Hang on ... Doesn't the location of the hand depend on the direction of the wind? On Botany Bay in a NE, your left hand is the forward hand when coming from the beach ... would that mean that if you are on a collision course with someon coming towards the beach you should give way?

IanR
NSW, 1237 posts
29 Dec 2014 6:05AM
Thumbs Up

You are right CrashTestOz it depends on wind direction. And you are right for a NE
Don't obsess on it though, it's only racing yachts that scream starboard at other boats.
Kamikuza has the right idea.
Just make your intentions clear and obviouse early. If you want to pass upwind fly your kite high and edge hard upwind if you want to pass downwind drop your kite close to the water a turn the board downwind. Remember the most important rule is to avoid collisions.
The most annoying thing for me is people who fly their kite up and turn the board downwind as they are sending me mixed messages

Jedibrad
NSW, 526 posts
31 Dec 2014 1:22PM
Thumbs Up

good advice there from above

Also, to carry on from the trick zone thing, if it's a windy boosting session don't kite in the down wind landing zone, i'm sure people just don't realise as there back is to the booster but take a few minutes people to analyse what is going on in a particular area.

Also, twin tips in the surf, please give way at all times, on all tacks and every direction, if you don't know why… it's because you have no idea and why i have to write this

Also, stay out of the flags or IanR and i will hunt you down...

Alysum
NSW, 1024 posts
3 Jan 2015 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

It's the same as sailing, starboard has right of way so at Botany Bay in a NE, the right hand has right. So the other guy was in the wrong.

You only have right of way if you are leaving the shore in waves/surf conditions which do not apply to Botany bay.

I agree that many people at Botany Bay do not follow the rules...

KiwiDave
VIC, 192 posts
4 Jan 2015 9:20AM
Thumbs Up

Unlike sailing there seems to be a rule to the effect that the guy leaving the beach has right of way even on port tack? Makes sense because he can't change tack and kite up the beach. In the same context a yacht would call "sea room" which trumps port/starboard.

But how far off the beach does the port/starboard rule take over? I guess that's where Kamikuza's philosophy keeps us all safe.

Roar
NSW, 471 posts
5 Jan 2015 9:11AM
Thumbs Up

in flat water like botany look before you launch - dont launch when someone is coming in to turn. bloody frustrating when you line up a path for a gybe and some dude pulls out straight into your path.

That off the beach right of way only really came about for wave breaks where you had to time the launch between sets.

CrashTestOZ
QLD, 75 posts
12 Jan 2015 6:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Roar said..
in flat water like botany look before you launch - dont launch when someone is coming in to turn. bloody frustrating when you line up a path for a gybe and some dude pulls out straight into your path.

That off the beach right of way only really came about for wave breaks where you had to time the launch between sets.

I agree - when you see a kiteboarder coming towards the beach and lining up for a trick, wait for them to turnaround before getting in the water.

Mad Dog Morgan
NSW, 25 posts
16 Mar 2015 11:37AM
Thumbs Up

The person entering the water has right of way and this rule has nothing to do with waves or sets.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   New South Wales

"Right-Of-Way Botany Bay" started by CrashTestOZ