Forums > Kitesurfing General

The 2018 Red Bull Lighthouse to Leighton from Rottnest Island

Created by L2L > 9 months ago, 9 Oct 2018
Jono77
WA, 348 posts
4 Dec 2018 5:59PM
Thumbs Up

Who has Slacks old custom L2L board? It would be nice to see something like that get going. If it's sitting in someone's shed on Saturday not getting used, let me know and I'd happily take it for a quick ride across from Rotto.

tightlines
WA, 3467 posts
5 Dec 2018 12:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jono77 said..
Who has Slacks old custom L2L board? It would be nice to see something like that get going. If it's sitting in someone's shed on Saturday not getting used, let me know and I'd happily take it for a quick ride across from Rotto.

I'm wiping the cobwebs off it ATM.

I had a big SUP race on the weekend so was concentrating on that (and learning to SUP foil) and haven't even kited for months, I was hoping to get out for a kite this week but worked all day Mon & Tues and now the wind doesn't look like co-operating.

I'm hoping it's like riding a bike.....

BTW I believe Slacks Cape Doctor has done every L2L crossing since it was made, it did make the crossing last year as well, I came in in 31st position in conditions that were far from what it was designed for.

IMO a foil will still win it, if any custom slalom type board has a chance it almost certainly won't be me.

A complete lack of practise on my part won't do the board any justice but it will still be nice to get some wind for a kite race for a change.

L2L
WA, 195 posts
7 Dec 2018 9:04AM
Thumbs Up

Update!

All interested supporters (and of course competitors who received this info email last night) please 'NB' the revised start time to be:

14:00hrs (2pm) on Saturday 8th December 2018.

Ioz
WA, 491 posts
7 Dec 2018 11:05AM
Thumbs Up

2 pm sounds spot on and should be at least 20 - 25knts by then / stoked to see the conditions coming together this year and it is going to be an exhilarating day on the water! / All information has been coming through clear and concise so once again good skills Tim!

Edit update

11.30am on Friday and it is already showing 19 - 23knts at Rotto

and tomorrow should be a bit stronger

so could be more like 25 - 30knts by 2 pm Raceday ??

Slack
WA, 685 posts
7 Dec 2018 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tightlines said..

Jono77 said..

I'm wiping the cobwebs off it ATM.

I had a big SUP race on the weekend so was concentrating on that (and learning to SUP foil) and haven't even kited for months, I was hoping to get out for a kite this week but worked all day Mon & Tues and now the wind doesn't look like co-operating.

I'm hoping it's like riding a bike.....

BTW I believe Slacks Cape Doctor has done every L2L crossing since it was made, it did make the crossing last year as well, I came in in 31st position in conditions that were far from what it was designed for.

IMO a foil will still win it, if any custom slalom type board has a chance it almost certainly won't be me.

A complete lack of practise on my part won't do the board any justice but it will still be nice to get some wind for a kite race for a change.

Yep perfect conditions for the Cape Doctor but yeah with your other interests dominating it's unlikely you'll be at the pointy end when it counts but if you do you'll be more famous than Seven Bradbury.

I'm not in the race so I'll just patiently wait at the finish line for you but now thinking about it that's what I did every time we raced together anyway.

wishy
WA, 1501 posts
8 Dec 2018 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

It's roaring in Freo now about 1km inland. Don't worry about running out of puff like all the other years!

bolgo
WA, 880 posts
8 Dec 2018 6:51PM
Thumbs Up

the winner was minutes in front of anyone else, 2 & 3 rd very very close

anyone know where results get posted?

Yann77
WA, 20 posts
8 Dec 2018 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

A link to the results should be posted here this evening I guess.

Guy Bridge destroyed the record this year, this family is just from another planet.

Thanks to the organisation for another awesome day!

Weta
WA, 891 posts
9 Dec 2018 11:00AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks to Tim for organising another awesome event, it was a great day. A big thanks to all the volunteers. Looking forward to next year.

I found these results, not sure if they are the official results.

www.webscorer.com/race?raceid=163712

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
9 Dec 2018 11:18AM
Thumbs Up

Foil board should have its own category maybe ?

Surf / race board it's own. ??

L2L
WA, 195 posts
9 Dec 2018 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

Thank you everyone for an amazing day - especially to all the amazing volunteers who made the day the super success that we enjoyed!

The official results are here: www.webscorer.com/race?raceid=163712

See you on the water!

towradgi
NSW, 424 posts
9 Dec 2018 2:46PM
Thumbs Up

Can anyone involved, actually describe wind ,ocean,weed,shipping lane windshadow conditions of race please..and their own personal race experience ..optional.

JohnnoKeys
WA, 551 posts
9 Dec 2018 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

I agree the foils should be there own section. Lincon Sullivan did an amazing job finishing 8th on a directional board in 23.45 just after the 1st seven foils with foil kites and three minutes ahead of the next racer. For history ( from memory) his time of 23.45 is the fastest time ever by a non foil board in the L2L race. The foils racing in the same section as directional boards and surfboards doesn't do justice to the riders with fins - they get full 100% body smashing. it's a totally different type of race. The foil racers hardly get a sweat up. Watched the race from the finish a great race good on ya Tim & L2L crew.

RayQ
WA, 633 posts
9 Dec 2018 1:27PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah those 2 guys on twin tip and directional board coming over the line, respect you could see they got a full body workout all the way across

tightlines
WA, 3467 posts
9 Dec 2018 2:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RayQ said..
Yeah those 2 guys on twin tip and directional board coming over the line, respect you could see they got a full body workout all the way across

Yep thanks Tim and the vollies etc., another great race.

Total respect for the foil guys, I only saw the likes of Guy, Alty & Mani for a couple of minutes but I saw some big stacks from a few of the others, scary stuff.

As mentioned a completely different race for the likes of Lincoln Sullivan, Dan Anderson and others at the pointy end on directionals and tt's, I was a long way off their pace but I sure can feel that I had a full body workout, I'm a little bit sore today.

I'm a bit out of the kiting circles these days, who else in the first 20 or so in the foil/surfboard division were on directionals?

I know there was

Lincoln Sullivan
Dale Stanton
Myself
Ian Austen

but I'm sure there were a few others.

Weta
WA, 891 posts
9 Dec 2018 5:58PM
Thumbs Up

I agree the foilers should have their own category and possibly a slightly earlier start but that would be tough logistically.

FOT
WA, 101 posts
10 Dec 2018 3:10PM
Thumbs Up

Couple of pics from the day from a mate on the beach at Rotto. Epic day, good times

Hybrid_Z
VIC, 381 posts
10 Dec 2018 7:02PM
Thumbs Up

Great pics. I've never got to see the race in person, they put it in perspective.

wishy
WA, 1501 posts
12 Dec 2018 3:34PM
Thumbs Up

Seen this?

Some pretty amazing shots

aerialphotographywa.com/redbull-lighthouse-to-leighton-2018/

tightlines
WA, 3467 posts
14 Dec 2018 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

I had a shocker of a start but had a go pro rolling so I thought I would share.
I started from the beach way upwind with a minute to go to the start, as you can see on my GPS right at the start of the video.
I underestimated how long it would take to get to the line because the wind was a bit light close to the shore and heading at that angle downwind plus the congestion with people falling off in front of me and swinging their kites back (or flying them at 12 o'clock) or even turning around and kiting back towards the shore.
It was a bit of a fuster cluck.

When I finally could dive my kite down into the power zone, right at the line at the back of the boat, I got a little excited and crashed within about fifty metres of the start
I think I got distracted by the kiter coming back towards the Island just upwind, well that's my excuse.
I didn't fall again and managed to make up a few spots by the finish.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"The 2018 Red Bull Lighthouse to Leighton from Rottnest Island" started by L2L