Forums > Kitesurfing General

The 2018 Red Bull Lighthouse to Leighton from Rottnest Island

Created by L2L > 9 months ago, 9 Oct 2018
L2L
WA, 195 posts
9 Oct 2018 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

The 2018 Red Bull Lighthouse to Leighton from Rottnest Island returns for edition # 9.

The # 1 Kiteboarding Race In The Southern Hemisphere is now live and open for nominations. If you have over 100 hours of kite boarding experience and want to experience once again an awesome race across Gage Roads get your entry in today!

In 2018 there will be no ballot and places will be broadly allocated by the race organiser(s) based on experience and aptitude. Note, the entry fee is increased from $165 (prior years) to $195 (this year) and reflects the increasing costs and dynamic nature of staging this unique race safely, successfully and sustainably.

Enter here: www.lighthouse2leighton.com.au

#RBL2L #rottnestisland @rottnestislandwa @rottnest

Jono77
WA, 348 posts
10 Oct 2018 6:29AM
Thumbs Up

Great to see this well run event back. I'm sure it'll be a cracker.

I'm just wondering, how are you assessing "competency", "experience and aptitude".

I actually think it's a good idea but wondering how it's being done as there are no questions in the registration to find this out.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
10 Oct 2018 7:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jono77 said..

I'm just wondering, how are you assessing "competency", "experience and aptitude".

I actually think it's a good idea but wondering how it's being done as there are no questions in the registration to find this out.

If you can hold the same tack for a few klms in marginal wind and slurp a tin of red bull in front of a camera
your good to go

Cornishryan
WA, 159 posts
10 Oct 2018 7:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jono77 said..

There is a section regarding kiting history/experience allowing you to put Information in - I'm guessing this allows organizers to determine suitable 'experience and aptitude'.

Jono77
WA, 348 posts
10 Oct 2018 12:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cornishryan said..

Jono77 said..

There is a section regarding kiting history/experience allowing you to put Information in - I'm guessing this allows organizers to determine suitable 'experience and aptitude'.

Sure, that section of the entry COULD be used BUT the question/instructions associated with that area of the form says it's interesting info and achievements about you for commentators to use, not "list your experience that qualifies you for selection in this race".

towradgi
NSW, 424 posts
10 Oct 2018 3:48PM
Thumbs Up

It appears jono 77 has a genuine concern for the welfare of other competitors who may not be up to standard of such a gruelling ocean race. After all wasn't there 50 D.N.F. competitors last year out of a total of 130 or 140 field which seems too high a proportion. Imagine how many would D.N.F. if the race was start and finish at Rottnest.

s_h_a_n_o
WA, 88 posts
10 Oct 2018 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Tim, in the event registration confirmation, and the calendar entry that is linked as well, it's showing race date as the 1st December, not the 8th?

s_h_a_n_o
WA, 88 posts
10 Oct 2018 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
towradgi said..
It appears jono 77 has a genuine concern for the welfare of other competitors who may not be up to standard of such a gruelling ocean race. After all wasn't there 50 D.N.F. competitors last year out of a total of 130 or 140 field which seems too high a proportion. Imagine how many would D.N.F. if the race was start and finish at Rottnest.

Last years race was run in extremely light wind, it was barely 15knots when we were trying to get off the beach, and that was after one aborted start. About 30 of those DNF's were in the TT category, and more appropriately they were Did Not Starts - they basically couldn't launch their kite or get up and planing. At 75kg I was running a 140 TT with a 13m race kite on 27m lines, and it was touch and go for about the first km as to whether I was going to keep moving or end up swimming.

Looking forward to a bit more wind this year, had a blast last year and would love to do it again :)

MikeyG
WA, 156 posts
12 Oct 2018 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

I've done it three times and never fails to put a smile on my face. It's a good race, but it's a great day out. My best place has only ever been mid-field (I use a surfboard) but for me it's all about kiting at an iconic destination and enjoying the pre and post race environment.

Be warned - the wind has been light every year I've done it so you need a 12m minimum (unless you're foiling). Less than 15knots at the start line each time I've done it and the wind shadow on the beach at Rottnest catches about 20% of the competitors out each year. It got me the first year and it took me nearly 30mins to launch the kite once it went down in the drink.

L2L
WA, 195 posts
15 Oct 2018 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shano82 said..
Hey Tim, in the event registration confirmation, and the calendar entry that is linked as well, it's showing race date as the 1st December, not the 8th?

Yah, I've asked them to fix it, should be done now. It is 100% the 8th. I've organised a solid 20 knots this year... no more light wind races!

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
18 Oct 2018 9:08AM
Thumbs Up

woohoo, threw my hat in the ring,,,, I hope the stars align for me.

tightlines
WA, 3467 posts
18 Oct 2018 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
L2L said..

shano82 said..

Yah, I've asked them to fix it, should be done now. It is 100% the 8th. I've organised a solid 20 knots this year... no more light wind races!

Good news on two fronts, first, as with last year great that it doesn't clash with the King of the Cut SUP race which will be on the weekend before on the 1st and even better since you have organised some more wind this year.

It is always such a great day, I love the build up and anticipation, checking forecasts from a week out, the ferry ride over speculating about conditions, kite sizes and tactics.
Waiting, chatting with crew, rigging up, waiting.
Start line nerves, then finally off and racing.

Can't wait, hope I get a gig again.

ActionSportsWA
WA, 950 posts
19 Oct 2018 10:27AM
Thumbs Up

I come with cap in hand asking for my first L 2 L. Never been particularly interested in doing it on a twin tip, biu on a race foil kite and board, it should be a hoot. Pick me, Pick me!

DM

L2L
WA, 195 posts
4 Nov 2018 11:14AM
Thumbs Up

So, the emails went out this morning...

We received this year 198 nominations for the 135 spots available, thank you for your support of the # 1 Kite Boarding Race In The Southern Hemisphere.

The below email extracts went out to those successful in securing a spot and also the lower edit, to those who did not secure a spot - please review the information below if you were regrettably not selected this year, sorry :-(

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
5 Nov 2018 8:08AM
Thumbs Up

oh how cruel the stars are to me,,,, I got a 'yes', super stoked and moments later while opening some mail feeling jazzed, my bubble popped, I open a letter to see I got a summons to appear for Jury duty,,,,, f'n what the F!! Yep, you guessed it, its for the day before the race and having to travel so far to attend the L2L, I just can't make it. I've pawed over the rules and regulations and even sought advise,,, nope, I can't get out of it. F you criminals. I'm gutted

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
5 Nov 2018 7:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Puetz said..
oh how cruel the stars are to me,,,, I got a 'yes', super stoked and moments later while opening some mail feeling jazzed, my bubble popped, I open a letter to see I got a summons to appear for Jury duty,,,,, f'n what the F!! Yep, you guessed it, its for the day before the race and having to travel so far to attend the L2L, I just can't make it. I've pawed over the rules and regulations and even sought advise,,, nope, I can't get out of it. F you criminals. I'm gutted

Far out, unbelievable Robbie... You of all people deserve a lucky break. Soz man...jury duty, who would have thought it!!

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
5 Nov 2018 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..

Puetz said..

Far out, unbelievable Robbie... You of all people deserve a lucky break. Soz man...jury duty, who would have thought it!!

... yeah its breaking my heart. I've been wanting to do it for so long now, and to get so close!

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1396 posts
5 Nov 2018 8:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Puetz said..

I got a place! Woo hoo!

Puetz, are you sure you cant defer it? In West Australia you have the option to defer Jury Duty for up to 6 months. But you cant do it twice. I seem to get the call up every couple of years. Though out of maybe 10 call ups, I have only been on a jury once. Either not selected out of the large pool, rejected by a barrister, or the case gets deffered. So brace yourself for the likelihood that if you turn up, there is a high possibility you wont be on the actual jury which will piss you off even more! Good luck.

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
5 Nov 2018 3:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dave Whettingsteel said..

Puetz said..

I got a place! Woo hoo!

Puetz, are you sure you cant defer it? In West Australia you have the option to defer Jury Duty for up to 6 months. But you cant do it twice. I seem to get the call up every couple of years. Though out of maybe 10 call ups, I have only been on a jury once. Either not selected out of the large pool, rejected by a barrister, or the case gets deffered. So brace yourself for the likelihood that if you turn up, there is a high possibility you wont be on the actual jury which will piss you off even more! Good luck.

... congrats Dave.

I am trying to defer it but I have to be there to defer it apparently which happens to be on the day before the L2L. For some strange reason I can't do it earlier bugger it.

Anyway, I'm gunna keep trying.

Cheers!!

Surfer62
1357 posts
5 Nov 2018 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Puetz said..

Puetz said..

I got a place! Woo hoo!

... congrats Dave.

I am trying to defer it but I have to be there to defer it apparently which happens to be on the day before the L2L. For some strange reason I can't do it earlier bugger it.

Cheers!!

Robbie, be honest, tell them some of your mates are cops, you've been the victim of crime, you despise criminals, Darwin is a small town and you dont think you could be impartial.

tightlines
WA, 3467 posts
5 Nov 2018 8:18PM
Thumbs Up

YES!!!

Got the nod again.

I don't kite a lot lately so not sure I will be all that competitive overall but what's that saying about the one with the biggest grin.

So stoked to be able to compete in this event again, not to sure what it is as I am more of a surfer, wave kiter, stand up paddleboarder etc but even though it's on the wrong tack and is waaaay too short a race for my liking, ever since the very first L2L, this event has been a highlight of my year.

I'm (maybe) not in the running for an OA win but if you are over 50yo and finish in front of me I'll buy you a beer for sure.
2 if you are not on a foil.

Puetz,
Desperate times call for desperate measures, what if you get yourself arrested for an offence before then, will you get kicked off the list?

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
5 Nov 2018 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh like drinking excessively in a public place ... oh I forgot, it's Darwin.

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1396 posts
6 Nov 2018 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tightlines said..

I'm (maybe) not in the running for an OA win but if you are over 50yo and finish in front of me I'll buy you a beer for sure.

Your on! Am way over 50 and on surfboard and Neo kites.

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
6 Nov 2018 11:24AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Surfer62 said..

Puetz said..

Puetz said..

I got a place! Woo hoo!

... congrats Dave.

Cheers!!

Robbie, be honest, tell them some of your mates are cops, you've been the victim of crime, you despise criminals, Darwin is a small town and you dont think you could be impartial.

... ahh, thats a good idea, I'll try that, thanks!!

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
6 Nov 2018 11:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tightlines said..
YES!!!

Got the nod again.

I don't kite a lot lately so not sure I will be all that competitive overall but what's that saying about the one with the biggest grin.

So stoked to be able to compete in this event again, not to sure what it is as I am more of a surfer, wave kiter, stand up paddleboarder etc but even though it's on the wrong tack and is waaaay too short a race for my liking, ever since the very first L2L, this event has been a highlight of my year.

Puetz,
Desperate times call for desperate measures, what if you get yourself arrested for an offence before then, will you get kicked off the list?

bwahahahaha, yep, desperate times indeed!!!! I wonder if "public drunken nuisance" would do it?

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
6 Nov 2018 11:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..
Yeh like drinking excessively in a public place ... oh I forgot, it's Darwin.

... hahahaha yup, guilty as charged officer,,,, we do live in a hot thirsty country after all.

L2L
WA, 195 posts
27 Nov 2018 9:16PM
Thumbs Up

Tonight the 2018 Event Manual link has been emailed to everyone accepted in to the race. Please read it if you are competing :-) ...

You can download the Manual here: www.sugarsync.com/pf/D464016_75109485_731517

As well, see below the email, with thanks.

L2L
WA, 195 posts
28 Nov 2018 10:03AM
Thumbs Up

Public service announcement (as distinct from a blatant advert) !

I've been asked what constitutes a suitable PFD. These are great (and what I use) and Kite Addiction have plenty in stock!

www.kiteaddiction.com.au/index.php/gear/accessories/np-waterwear/np-high-hook-ce50-detail
or
www.kiteaddiction.com.au/index.php/gear/accessories/np-waterwear/np-high-hook-bouncy-aid-detail

MikeyG
WA, 156 posts
28 Nov 2018 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

I'm not doing the event this year, but have a Medium Helly Hansen PFD in near new condition if anyone needs to borrow one. DM me if you do.

Jono77
WA, 348 posts
3 Dec 2018 4:33PM
Thumbs Up

Fingers cross that the forecast delivers.

So what happens when it's windier?
1 - Do hydrofoils just go faster?
2 - do the twin tips and surfboards have a bit more of a chance?
3 - will we see those custom L2L boards finally have a chance to show what they can do?

Fingers crosses for wind!!

ActionSportsWA
WA, 950 posts
4 Dec 2018 4:41PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Jono,

The foils will be very quick, but custom boards under a skilled rider will have a good chance. The fast Foils last weekend in the Rocking ham to Fremantle Dash averaged 32knots .... directly downwind!

I think the race could be up for grabs but it will depend on wind strength and amount of weed floating around. Foils will win for sure in 20knots or less, and most likely win up to 25 knots, Above 25 knots and it will be a white knuckle ride on a foil where it will just start getting fun on a drag board.

I'll still leave my money on a foil victory (weed permitting).

DM

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"The 2018 Red Bull Lighthouse to Leighton from Rottnest Island" started by L2L