Forums > Kitesurfing General

Missing Kiter GERALDTON friday 4th 2019

Created by king of the point 7 months ago, 4 Jan 2019
jeff2
WA, 218 posts
7 Jan 2019 3:49PM
Thumbs Up

Send him a sizeable BILL for the emergency rescue costs and he may think twice about wrapping himself in a Kite in the dunes, whilst the Heat sensing cameras are operating in the sky until midnight.

cauncy
WA, 7399 posts
7 Jan 2019 4:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jeff2 said..
Send him a sizeable BILL for the emergency rescue costs and he may think twice about wrapping himself in a Kite in the dunes, whilst the Heat sensing cameras are operating in the sky until midnight.

Thats why we pay our taxes, im happy for a portion to go to rescue services,to look or save someones arse , either a misshap, accident or furk up

Sandfoot
VIC, 359 posts
7 Jan 2019 6:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jeff2 said..

In some Euro countries they invoice the tourists for a search fee, 5-6k

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1356 posts
7 Jan 2019 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jeff2 said..

There are a lot of sheep along that stretch Jeff. The rescue jet was doing loops around the whole coast Gero to Horrocks, I'd imagine the infrared would have been quite cluttered and difficult to identify a human, particularly as noone actually knew he was on land. Most like me thought he was probably tangled up and drowned a long time earlier.

thepommiefella
WA, 2 posts
7 Jan 2019 6:45PM
Thumbs Up

On an average day (for Geraldton) it would be difficult to miss corro's - there's always one......but....

Having been out several times in 35-40 knots in a 4m + swell at Corro's, I can tell you out the back, around the bomby, you can barely make out the land. In fact you're highly likely not to see any of the windsurfers. With that wind strength there are only like to be a couple of kiters - so get confused with Spot X? Maybe.

I do know a lot of LOCAL kitesurfers that regularly do that trip. And that's the difference. If it all goes wrong they know where they are. They know where to go etc.

Just glad was found alive and well.

1KJ
QLD, 31 posts
7 Jan 2019 10:57PM
Thumbs Up

Shouldn't this be in the WA section? Same old names telling us how good they are...yawn ;)

Chris6791
WA, 3156 posts
7 Jan 2019 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sandfoot said..

jeff2 said..

In some Euro countries they invoice the tourists for a search fee, 5-6k

That's what travel insurance is for, if you're from here you've already paid taxes for those services.

Youngbreezy
WA, 531 posts
8 Jan 2019 10:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said
nah I don't buy the "last one in the lineup", nor it would it be easy to get out of sight in a big swell. You must always have everyone you are with in sight and to always be making sure everyone around you is good. That's just common sense.

But hey need the facts first I suppose.

This is the main thing that is kind of messed up that we don't really know, either he set out by himself in nuking conditions in an unfamiliar area or the other people on the downwinder lost sight of him or left him somehow!!

Either of these scenarios is really quite messed up

Don't do remote nuking downwinders by yourself!!!

Don't leave your downwinder crew!!!

Sticking to either of these common sense ideas would have downgraded this from a full search and rescue mission to a normal kitemare

Youngbreezy
WA, 531 posts
8 Jan 2019 10:18AM
Thumbs Up

Also I think we should all be considering using some basic safety gear when the conditions call for it.

Whilst I don't agree with the DoT requirement for flares and pfd andEPIRB if you're 400m+ off the beach but there are plenty of times when some safety equipment would be a good idea.

I recently got a pfd/impact vest which I will wear when kiting breaks like Lancelin and corros where you end up tacking a long way out to sea. The vest is pretty comfy and I can wear it without it affecting my kiting.

I also will look into getting a PLB, you can get some which have basic sms capabilities and are compact enough that you won't notice your wearing them.

In the case of this lost kiter gear failure was the cause but had he sustained a serious injury to the point where he was incapacitated the results could have been much worse

Surfer62
VIC, 1262 posts
8 Jan 2019 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

www.snowys.com.au/kti-safety-alert-plb?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr93-n-7d3wIVyLWWCh0EzwldEAQYAiABEgI3v_D_BwE

PLB $259, not bad considering price of kites, you can always take it 4wd driving, fishing, hunting, etc etc

Ive got an EPIRB in my boat, a bit big for kiting but I took it on camping trip through NT and WA last year, just in case. Just log onto the marine rescue website and let then know you plans, amsa.gov.au

tightlines
WA, 3164 posts
8 Jan 2019 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

Yep, I have an EPIRB in my boat but because I am a shift worker and often off on adventures by myself during the week 4wding, boating, kiting, SUPing etc, I also have a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) in a pouch which I attached to the strap on my PFD.
I am usually wearing the PFD & PLB combo when in the boat (even though I have the EPIRB), or if I am SUPing or kiting way offshore or somewhere remote.
Sometimes it is just threaded onto my harness strap for kiting offshore, when I am not carrying it, it lives in my 4wd.
I may sound paranoid but as a former sea rescue skipper, I know it is a small price to pay for something that has the potential to save your life.

This is the one I have but I paid less than that when on sale.

www.whitworths.com.au/acr-resqlink-plus-406mhz-gps-plb

The other week, for example, it was in the pocket of my camelback when a few of us did this downwinder.

www.relive.cc/view/g28325597220

dafish
NSW, 1361 posts
9 Jan 2019 6:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tightlines said..
Yep, I have an EPIRB in my boat but because I am a shift worker and often off on adventures by myself during the week 4wding, boating, kiting, SUPing etc, I also have a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) in a pouch which I attached to the strap on my PFD.
I am usually wearing the PFD & PLB combo when in the boat (even though I have the EPIRB), or if I am SUPing or kiting way offshore or somewhere remote.
Sometimes it is just threaded onto my harness strap for kiting offshore, when I am not carrying it, it lives in my 4wd.
I may sound paranoid but as a former sea rescue skipper, I know it is a small price to pay for something that has the potential to save your life.

This is the one I have but I paid less than that when on sale.

www.whitworths.com.au/acr-resqlink-plus-406mhz-gps-plb

The other week, for example, it was in the pocket of my camelback when a few of us did this downwinder.

www.relive.cc/view/g28325597220

That Relive is pretty cool! I like what it did with the data. Looks like an epic down winder. Wow!

Sauce
WA, 183 posts
11 Jan 2019 9:54AM
Thumbs Up

Would this work? Im assuming they are waterproof...
Seems small and wouldnt be cumbersome like an epirb.

Chris6791
WA, 3156 posts
11 Jan 2019 1:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sauce said..

Doesn't have a distress function like an epirb/plb. All it's good for is showing us what your drift track was once we find the body.

cauncy
WA, 7399 posts
11 Jan 2019 4:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris6791 said..

Sauce said..

Doesn't have a distress function like an epirb/plb. All it's good for is showing us what your drift track was once we find the body.

Or track the shark

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Missing Kiter GERALDTON friday 4th 2019" started by king of the point